C6 Digitone Backup

Are all my own sounds/patches on the Digitone’s +Drive also backed up via C6 when selecting Sysex Send > Project?

I have just found out that the transfer speeds are much much slower if “Output To” in Port Config is set to Midi+USB (USB only is faster). I didn’t find this clearly mentioned in the manual so I think that’s pretty criticisable! Is it necessary that this is a setting per project? If it’s a global setting it could be easily changed for all projects.

2 Likes

From the manual, not exactly stating it but still stating usb only is faster.

2 Likes

Alright, my bad.
Does anyone know if sounds are backed up too or if they aren’t included?

If you can tell me how to dump a project sysex back onto the Digitone, Ill check and let you know if it saved my sounds.
I had to exchange mine after a week and I thought id be safe just backing up the project file i had been working in rather than all the sounds and patterns individually. So far no luck getting that stuff back. Maybe im just being dense, but while I can successfully send/receive both single patches and patterns… the digitone does not seem to “see” any of the project files i send it.

I think the “backup”/“restore” for Digitone projects is broken. I have not managed to restore any projects I created so far. There is surprisingly little information about making backups and restoring for the Digitone on the Internet or this forum.
This is a bit disconcerting as I have 36+ projects now stored on the Digitone and now way to back them up.

1 Like

It is certainly not broken, I recently copied a project over from one DN to another via C6 just recently and it worked like expected.

1. Make sure your Digitone is set to send and receive over USB only in the MIDI Port Config menu. This ensures maximum data transfer speed when connected via USB.

2. Open C6 and configure it to send and receive with the connected Digitone in the Configure window, and check so that there is no delay set under the misc section.

3. Load whichever Project you want to send from the Digitone and navigate to the SysEx Send/Receive menu. Hit Receive in C6, then select ‘Whole Project’ under the Send option in the SysEx menu.

Press Stop in C6 when the Digitone has finished transferring.
The data received should be around 2.9MB in size.

Now, make sure to select the received data and save it as a .syx
(If you just hit save without selecting any file in the C6 window list you will save a file list instead. These end in .c6)

Sending a Project to a Digitone (and any other unit) can be done at any time, you just need to connect to your unit in C6 and hit send. The whole project data will be sent in, and anything that is currently in RAM that is occupying the same space will be overwritten by the incoming data.

12 Likes

And are all sounds (presets) included in any “Whole Project” backup?

The Sound Pool is a part of the project - so that is included in the project syx.
And any sound that is loaded onto a track in any Pattern is part of that Pattern, which is a part of the Project …

As for the Sounds on the +Drive (those you load from the Sound Manager), no they are not a part of the Project data, they are stored separately and can be sent/loaded via the Sound Manager or the SysEx menu.

Here is the data structure from the manual as a reference

The +Drive is the main repository from which all data is loaded to RAM (active Project)

3 Likes

Thank you Ess for responding so quickly.

1. Yes indeed, I set Digitone to send and receiver over USB only
  2. Under Windows the Digitone shows up nicely in Configure and I set it (both sent and receiver)
  3. This is where I am totally confused. There is no option for sending “Whole Project” on my Digitone. The option on the right side of “Project” in the send sysex menu is called “Active Project”

So step 3 seems to result in a 6Kbytes sysex file, but it is sending 200+ KBytes.

Extremely confusing a ;-). I am running Digitone firmware version 1.02. Of course I am not going to upgrade till I have a reliable backup/restore method.

1 Like

Alright thanks. I’m glad I asked since I have never backed up the sounds via the Sound Manager.
It only took a moment to backup. File size is 279 Kb.

Did you also test a restore?

No not with my sounds since I may overwrite something. But I have several times before checked and sent a backed up project to DN and all patterns were there.

Whole / active project, guess I mis-remembered what it is called, sorry!
Sounds like you are saving the list instead of the data. Highlight the received data entry before saving from C6.

You should update your unit, the +Drive is not touched even when running a factory reset. Just save your Project before updating.

1 Like

Thanks Ess. I will have another look later this week (last week of sprint at work, finishing of user stories ;-), sorry for the delay.

I thought I saved the received data as .sysex but I might be confused, classic case of user misunderstanding.

Would another sysex utility, like MIDIOX for example, do the job also?

is there a way to dump all the Projects, Patterns, Sounds in a single sysex dump??

as far as i can see it allows…

1. only the Active Project dump at a time
  2. only a single Pattern dump at a time
  3. a single Sound Bank dump at a time

any way to do ALL at once?
i want a total save state saved.

thanks!

1 Like

No.

2 Likes

Argh!

ok, thanks.

I’m having this same problem trying to backup Projects from Digitone and sending to Digitone Keys. Seems like it’s saving to my computer, but when sent to my Keys it shows progress but is just empty at the end. Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

…did anyone of you came to a solution?

I backed up my main Digitone Project before selling ist.
The received sysex file was about 254kb in size.

Now im trying to put it back up to the new Digitone Keys, but it doesnt work.
Digitone Keys is in Dump Reception Mode, the Mac is sending data,
but it results in an empty Project after the process (about 2 min of transfer via SysEx Liberian)

1 Like