Buying Synthesizers in Japan (Octatrack mk1)

Long story short: I am in Japan and I have found a beautiful used Octatrack MK1 - in very good conditions- at a very reasonable price (around 600 euros). I want to buy it in a Tax Free shop (which means registering the purchase on my visa). My question is if, when I get back by plane (I plan to bring the OT in the backpack with me), will I be requested to pay import duties?
If so, will it be better to ask to pay the full price with taxes (10%, will still be a very good bargain I think) so the transaction does not get registered and I can bring the instrument as my personal item?

If you have experience of Japan custom rules and you have suggestions you are really welcome.

When you get back where? You didn’t mention which country you’re returning to and many of them have different rules.

1 Like

tru that :point_up:. You declare items coming in not out, so you’re at the mercy of the country of destination. When you find out what country you are returning to, it may be easy to just do a Google or AI search.

Totally. And I don’t think one can easily go through the “nothing to declare” line with a tax-free purchase registered to a travel visa.

My guess is import duty will be owed, but it really depends on the country in question.

You are right, I didn’t bother to write that because I already know my country’s rules. I am bound to return to Italy, anyway.

You already gave me a good information, which is that rules apply coming into a country and not out.

2 Likes

Also something to be aware of is that Japan uses 100 volt AC wall outlets where most of europe uses 230V and north america uses 120V so moral of the story is check the power supply rating before you plug it in, or if it comes with an adapter make sure it’s the correct one.

1 Like

Thank you for the tip. This was first thing that I checked. Apparently Elektron ships their devices to Japan with a 100-230v adapter so I should probably be ok replacing the final wall wart with an european one. If it doesn’t work, I can always buy a new charger and it will still be worthy to me.

1 Like

ok, sounds good then.

If you pay Japanese tax it’ll probably be less than import duty to Italy. The only catch is you need to refrain from declaring it and act like that’s your Octatrack that you’re traveling with, and not an Octatrack you bought in Japan (in other words, you would need to lie, so I’m not suggesting breaking rules).

I believe the right way to do it is to register the purchase, skip Japanese sales tax, and pay import duty.

2 Likes

I bought a used Sherman filterbank 2 in Japan last year. I went with the tax free option and brought it back home via carryon. No import duty since it was under the limit for the USA.

When I bought the Sherman, I think the printed receipt had a QR code which I could scan to get the tax free receipt. Information found online suggested dire consequences if you don’t show the receipt as you leave the country (Japan doesn’t want you to buy tax free and then resell it while still in Japan). I “printed” the digital receipt to PDF and stored that on my iPhone so that I’d be able to show it at the airport without wifi.

There were several customs stations at Narita where I showed my receipt. The official staff seemed bored an uninterested, but did scan the receipt and waved me on.

I have no idea whether the scanning was necessary or if I could have just boarded my flight without problem.

The Elektron adapters are universal, all you need to change is the plug, either with €3 plug adapter or a C7/C8 cable that runs from the Elektron brick to the wall.

The main issue to look out for in Japan is that appliances are 50hz or 60hz depending on where in the country they are intended to be used. But that only matters if you plan on buying a Microwave (oven, not Waldorf) to bring home with you.

4 Likes

I think the minimum for Italy is €150, but I could be wrong

Just to add a detail: I checked and the Elektron adapter supports both 50 and 60 hz.

Yeah I didn’t want to break any rule and I should probably proceed like you described. Thank you for the feedback.

1 Like

It’s probably a good deal even with import duty! OTs are expensive in Italy, yeah?

And I’m almost certain the OEM Elektron power supply will work with Italian electricity, either by using an adapter or changing the cable with the connector, as @obscurerobot mentioned.

1 Like

MK1s go between 700 and 800 euros in Italy, so 600 euros with 3% import duties + VAT (22%) I should be in a middle price range (750 euros more or less). The OT is really well kept, recently maintanenced and has the plastic decksaver on.

1 Like

I bought a AH+FX from Five G, along with several vinyl albums, while I was there. I registered some things, but shipped most of it back home to avoid the extra weight fees. I didn’t bother scanning the reciepts since I shipped mostly everything.

2 Likes

I purchased maybe $2000 of clothes, books, music, and cheap synths last summer in Japan tax free and nobody cared about crap in the airport. Individual items were rarely worth over $100 if that matters, I don’t know. I live in the US.

2 Likes

I’d leave it there if you’re planning to add duties and taxes. Too much hassle for something you can find “locally” at a similar price.

But honestly, I can’t see the problem to just buy it there and walk past the customs once at the airport with it into your carry-on…

Never heard a problem from friends buying stuff abroad and bringing with them coming back here in Rome

2 Likes

Not speaking as a mod here :sweat_smile:

I would get it.
VAT should be around 120€ if you ever get caught at the customs and they don’t believe you’re just travelling with your instrument. But controls are rare.
Ask for the original invoice, you should be able to deduct JP VAT.
Or maybe you know some Italian Elektronaut that could send you an Italian invoice for an OT mk1 :tongue:

1 Like

They typically take off VAT at the register if you have a passport on you.

1 Like