Buying Gear from the UK 2021

Absolutely right

1 Like

So very much this. We have an electorate that would rather be shat on by posh Brits who transparently loathe them if the alternative includes anything not British. This shit is utterly exhausting.

1 Like

Trouble with the British electorate is that they love a good slogan. The last election was won with ‘Get Brexit Done’ being repeated 50 million times a day. Can anyone remember any of Corbyn’s slogans? No? That’s why he lost. We’d have to go back to Blair and Brown for a memorable Labour slogan (as shit as they are) like Education, Education, Education, or No Return to Boom and Bust, etc

2 Likes

Honestly, I despair at the whole shambolic situation. Towards the end of last year I had to remove myself from actually giving a shit. I’m 43, have children with ages ranging from 12 to 24 and the more I engage with politics, the less I like us as a species. Of course I still do give a shit - I can’t help it - but I can’t have it be part of my day-to-day any longer. It crushes my spirit and removes any shreds of faith I might still have in humanity in general.

I have a beats-to-politics ratio that has a direct correlation to my general levels of happiness when it tips more towards the former. It brings a degree of guilt, but the beats generally drown that out more or less.

7 Likes

There isn’t space on this forum to catalogue the various reasons why Corbyn lost and the various reasons why Starmer can’t win.

As much of a bloody mess as it all is, I like to indulge myself in a little whataboutery to help alleviate the despair.

It could be much worse.

We could be stood 10,000 deep in a sewage trench, risking all sorts of deaths to try to get into this bloody mess.

We’re very lucky that we can sit on the internet complaining about paying too much VAT on our Thomann orders or whatever.

Granted, making yourself feel better by thinking about the horrors that others have to deal with does have more than a whiff of a Live Aid Christmas lecture about it (not to mention the likelihood it’ll actually make you feel worse) but perspective can be valuable in alieviating dissatisfaction with one’s predicament.

3 Likes

Not only do I thoroughly agree with this, I also applaud you wholeheartedly for your excellent method of getting us back on track re: the actual context of the thread

3 Likes

I do my best.

3 Likes

I had to do this too. Much as I didn’t want to because I think being engaged with and talking about politics is important.

I stopped watching news completely and stopped giving any political opinions at all. It was making me anxious, furious and exhausted.

I stopped giving it any headspace at all and felt better straight away! If I start dwelling on what a fuck up humans collectively are making of things I’m liable to lose my mind :weary::weary:

2 Likes

Also, it’s really fun watching all the left/right dogmatists trying to work out your opinions when you’re not giving any out.

3 Likes

Likewise. I had FB and deleted all that; removed all the political/current affairs stuff from my Twitter and Instagram & basically treated it like every Wu-Tang group album after Forever. Worked a treat!

2 Likes

Yes it’s often better just to keep your mouth shut and let people get in with it. It got to the point where there only seemed to be two types of people for political discussions, ones I agreed with completely and ones who wouldn’t even listen to alternate viewpoints. Pretty much lost interest in both those conversations!

3 Likes

That’s the problem mate. Everyone’s talking, no-one’s listening.

2 Likes

Removing toxic scenarios, thoughts and people from your life is great huh!

2 Likes

This should be the anti slogan record for British politics.

2 Likes

And that shirt should be the official uniform for MPs

Going back to the shipping to Elektron.

I’ve a mk1 Octa & Rytm, both bought used in the UK.
Need to go back for wobbly/skipping encoders. Haven’t been able to come up with a local tech to do it so back to thinking about this.

It’s 80EUR to send them to Elektron. Do I need to fill out one of the customs forms as well?
Anyone sent anything for repair recently?

Elektron normally organise the paperwork and bill you on return of the items.

2 Likes

Also, this thread might be useful (I’ve not read it):

2 Likes

I summed up what happened recently:

3 Likes

Thanks all, time to bite the bullet and pony up the cash.
I’m never going to sell these mk1s, so makes sense to have as much as I can serviced/repaired by the Elektron techs.

2 Likes