Buying Gear from the UK 2021

So a deal is done etc; not looking to get into the pros and cons of the politics but just talk about what we think this means for gear buyers across Europe who have liked buying from certain good UK online stores …

My understanding, which may be wrong, is we might see ‘XYZ online UK’ store soon advertising their goods priced with and without UK VAT, so an EU buyer can order it and then pay the EU VAT at the point of import?
(Assuming that the item is sufficiently made in the UK to the extent required for the new arrangement).

I’m hoping it is fairly straightforward. I have put a lot of custom to certain good UK retailers over the years who have been excellent in their speed and after service; that I’d hope to continue.

Feels like a gigantic wait and see but yeah, I’d imagine it’ll work using non UK websites with taxes collected by EU customs.

Will likely be a logistical ball ache for Uk retailers for the short-mid term while this is all worked through

I’m fairly confident that UK pricing will be impacted to such an extent that it won’t be worthwhile dealing with us brits.

3 Likes

The shop will also not be doing the export documentation for free… some of that cost will be passed on to the customer
Plus the 15% WTO tariff.
And customer returns will mostly be unfeasible.

If they are a good UK retailer. Then they have likely already prepared an (at least Ireland) in EU subsidiary.

Hopefully there might be technology where the UK vendor can give you a full VAT inclusive price for EU delivery and take care of the VAT to your local collector would be good; so you can just hit the buy button and wait for the thump on the doormat.
Currently, when that doesn’t happen, and there is intervention at the point of import (eg when buying from say Japan or US) my local post office inside the EU like to add on a ridiculously large extra ‘admin charge’ on top of the customs & excise for ex EU purchases. I don’t mind paying the customs & excise, it’s expected, it’s the sneaky additional admin charges you can’t avoid that annoy me.
However I wonder if I can order say a Makenoise eurorack module or Korg synth from the UK if it can even be imported, or as it isn’t built in the UK it can’t be. I’ve had good experience with the big EU webstores, but some of the smaller UK ones were a pleasure to deal with; particularly in eurorack and more niche stuff and generally were less marked up than I’d see in certain other EU retailers.

Anyway, interesting to see how this pans out.

1 Like

I think UK online stores are in for a rough ride. They will be losing a lot of overseas customers. And we will still be tied to the EU anyways for years if the latest news is true(which it often isn’t).

2 Likes

From the point of the referendum result the general consensus would be that it would take 10+ years to fully “exit” the EU. A “deal” is great from a time to move on prospective but yeah, it’s going to be some time before things settle down and years before we hit a new norm. Interesting/awkward/concerning times ahead!

Andertons has a little message up on site saying that all EU orders will not include UK tax but you can expect to pay local tax and import duties. Then they link to this page with extra info:

3 Likes

Good news. Wishing all these stores the best.
Don’t want to see everything sold through one mega platform!

Had a first great online shopping experience at Signal Sounds because Schneidersladen in Berlin had no Expert Sleepers stock, this is really bad for the EU customers and for the UK eurorack dealers IMHO.

enjoy what you have.

let the shitsilt settle.

3 Likes

I’m not sure about that shop. It says the price includes 20% VAT included for UK-based customers but then the company name has BV after it which suggests it’s based in the Netherlands. Would there be extra costs? Anyone in the UK bought from them post-Brexit?

1 Like

Definitely avoid them! It’s the same issue with DV247 who have all their stuff stored in Germany and not the UK, despite what their website claims. I know many people who have ordered from Bax and DV247 and been rather messed around. You pay VAT on the items as they are ‘in’ the UK, but then have to pay all over again when they shipped in from NL and they want nothing to do with you.

Just read the reviews of them to get an idea

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/musicstore.de

6 Likes

Bax were occasionally worth the risk of their infamously poor service pre-Brexit (I got both my Peak and Digitone from them at very good prices) but I wouldn’t bother with them now if you’re based in the UK.

1 Like

Aha, I knew it looked dodgy. Thanks @robinrimbaud and @finalform. It’s not as if I have the cash to wax on a Prophet-10 anyway, but it’s good to have info about avoiding such companies. Another dodgy, Czech-based ‘UK store’ to avoid is kytary.co.uk

2 Likes

Conversely they’ve been absolutely fine for orders within the EU ; but yeah, the whole ordering to / from the UK is just such a mess right now it’s not worth getting enmeshed in it.

1 Like

I think broadly when they just fulfil the order there’s zero issue - it’s when there’s a problem that they’re a nightmare to deal with.

2 Likes

I bought an AR2 (B-Stock) and Digitone from them in two separate purchases and didn’t have any additional import charges either time. Standard delivery.

1 Like

This is good to know as something to avoid them for - thankfully I’ve never had issues with anything I’ve bought from them, but I only do so when they have a particularly good offer, as either Thomann or Sonovente (in France, sometimes with free next-day delivery!) are quicker and better. But I generally only buy things like cables and mic stands from Bax anyway.

At the same time, companies claiming to be in the UK and using the .co.uk suffix are inherently dodgy in my opinion. Glad you didn’t get burnt. But it is disingenuous business practice.

3 Likes

And unless they have a subsidiary in the UK (say), then probably contravening the terms of registering a .co.uk domain name. I had to provide a Companies House registration number when doing that though, so maybe they did too.

1 Like