Buying an OT MKII right now? Is it a good idea?

You beat me to it!!

IIRC there is already a video on that?
I planned to make it with same source, export files > blind test.

It has been said oftenly that DT has extra eq flattering high freqs, which probably makes the filter more flattering too?

I like both units. With OT I canā€™t help from experiment crazy things, while with DT I can make something much quicker, to play guitar with itā€¦
If i had to choose, Iā€™d keep OT only and an electric guitar, a mic. No preamps!

1 Like

Yeah I love the quick and easy sampling on DT/ARmk2, if only the OT had such a mode, but yeah I think DT/AR colour sample OT donā€™t.

Iā€™d be interested to hear your shootout and findings if you ever do one.

1 Like

me too.
They both have their strengths and advantages. OT has just more of them

2 Likes

I think that Ricky Tinez did it on youtube. OT, MPC, Ableton, Digitone maybe more?

As for the OP , is the octatrack ā€˜old tech?ā€™ Ive said this beforeā€¦ people are still buying 303s, shit they are even buying cheap knock offs of minimoogs!

Is buying an octatrack (doesnt matter which one) a good idea? Well if you want one, yeahā€¦ it is.

1 Like

Always better to have an official autorisation on Elektronauts. You can show it to your banker. :content:

Iā€™m only a couple months in, but having an OT on your desk is probably always gonna be useful. Iā€™m currently using it as a glorified mixer with sampling capabilities, and if you have another sampler lying around, routing possibilities are juicy.

He doesnā€™t want you to buy an Octatrack because he wants them all for himself.

5 Likes

Donā€™t look further. There isnā€™t. Thatā€™s a very long outstanding feature request from many users.

With the various shortcuts you can open the sample editor almost as quickly as you can navigate to the SRC page.

[TRACK]+[BANK] opens the editor with the sample of the track (if flex/static is used).

When in the SRC SETUP page and you are scrolling the sample slot list, you can open the corresponding sample with [FUNC] + [BANK] in the editor.

To open a recorder buffer of a track in the editor, you need to select the track first and press then [REC1/2] + [BANK].

4 Likes

Have you considered selling the DT and getting a Model Samples to offset the cost of the Octatrack slightly while gaining an even faster ā€œsamplerā€/drum machine?

Iā€™m considering selling my DN and DT and getting an Octatrack and Model Samples.

Not really feeling the DN. I love the DT but my my idea is to limit the amount of fiddly boxes. OT can be the sole menu[page] device and the model samples can do all the drum/one shot things I use the DT for.

Extremely helpful. Thank you.

1 Like

Ricky Tinez did it!

And he failed, because he didnā€™t remove the default FX of the OT (especially the filter is not neutral in its default settings).

When you remove the default FX, the sound gets recorded or passed through as it comes in. No difference (up to 22.5kHz, of course) beside some level boosting or attenuation.

The Digitakt is also not neutral. There is a reason why everything sounds a touch more ā€œbrillantā€ when the Digitakt plays it. Thatā€™s not just the sign of high quality. It ā€œcolorsā€ the sound and you canā€™t get rid of this ā€œcolorizationā€.

6 Likes

I mean, itā€™s not a bad ideaā€¦

Everyone that starts a thread like this gets one.

no one has ever been talked out of it :joy:

8 Likes

Is this true? I always thought it was just a case of samples being normalised and anything stereo being summed to mono. It always sounded neutral to me, but itā€™s been at least a couple of years since I played one.

Yes, it boost the highs slightly given the impression of being more ā€œbrilliantā€ / ā€œcrystal clearā€.

There are various posts about it, but I donā€™t remember exactly the one which actually showed some measurement diagrams.

https://www.elektronauts.com/search?q=dt%20boost%20highs

1 Like

Ah! Good to know. Hence the DT being more ā€˜hi-fiā€™ as I see mentioned more than a few times.

Thatā€™s an urban legend. AD/DA conversion is mature technology for decades now. The OTMK2 circuitry is perfectly transparent. There might be some improved algoritms in ethe DT like time stretch and such.