Buying an OT MKII right now? Is it a good idea?

The Digitakt is a different generation to the Octatrack, and so has better effects as I understand (have never used one, but understand this to be the case from this forum)

There are quite a few other threads similar to this, might want to have a look at those.

9 Likes

Nah OT definitely kills DT concerning FX.

I think its reverb is better.
The chorus is probably better.
The delay is pretty similar, I prefer OT’s alternated pan depending on tracks panning.

DT and OT filters are really good imho. DT’s maybe better but OT’s is more versatile (bandpass, bandwidth, 2 resonances, 2 different envelope targets, 12/24db…)

DT only fx send per track, no other plockable parameters.

OT:
14 different fx
2 fx per track, up to 8 stacked with Neighbors
1 optional master Fx track
Realtime Resampling can be used as fx, with feedback, so you can make high quality fx, pitch delay, reverse, shimmer, etc…
You can sequence (or control with crossfader) 6 parameters per fx, hence 6x2x8 = 96 parameters

3 Likes

Why? any source?

1 Like

@darenager Yes, I did check quite a few of those and gather many useful input (especially on OT vs Digitakt) but I just felt my question marks are still not fully eliminated. Sorry about that !

@sezare56 You are right, OT has much more effects and there are a lot more options. I meant more like the sound quality of the effects. Older A/D conversion and DSP inside I guess. The Digitakt has a quite nice reverb.

@Kari When they announced the new black AR and A4 and the OT was out of stock, I really got my hopes up but reading through the forum, my impression is that this is not so likely to happen, the majority of people are suspecting they will come out with something in the Models range. I am still hoping though!

It’s is as good of an idea as it was a month ago.

1. buying: I prefer Thomann. Their extended warranty is really nice and their service is one of the best I have ever experienced (it’s worth for me not going for the cheapest).

2. keeping the DT: It’s a good idea to keep the DT around for a while. You may like to use both (for example by offloading drum duties to the Digitakt) and the OT may require some time to get into.

3. MK3: definitely not likely. Maybe a black case version in the future, but that doesn’t change anything in functionality. And “no”, to me the OT doesn’t feel old. It’s much more capable than the Digitakt (the Digitakt feels too much restricted to me).

7 Likes

Note too that elektron warranty is transferable - and covers 3 years I believe. I got a second hand OT that was purchased a year earlier, registered it under my name and still had 2 years warranty! Best of both worlds.

4 Likes

…yes…good idea…if ur aware of the fact that takt is the most easy one to wrap ur head around…
…yes… good idea…it’s still ahead of the game…
cause yes, waiting for a truu new version is sensless for now…
u won’t buy it now to see tomorrow there’s a new one…promise.
and yes, keepig the takt is a great idea, cause it adds up perfectly with the ot to really get huuge productions out that combo…
while, no, don’t worry about setting up midi…it’s just a simple clocking/syncing them mission…
eaaasy…
stroll around here a bit further and u’ll find all ur further questions answered already many many times…

I doubt any of those people were official Elektron staff so they know as much as everyone else: nothing.

Having said that, I don’t agree, I think the upgrade to the new boxes is making way for a new Dark Trinity, OB is stable and whatever the OT successor will be is going to take full advantage of OB. But I know about as much as the aforementioned prognosticators: nothing.

ON THE OTHER HAND, the new box will probably be wildly more expensive than an OT, MKII, let alone MKI in addition to being bug ridden. The OT will still be an OT: the best sampler on the market (second only to any supposed successor).

What I missed going DT—->OT:
-speed of workflow

• sparkly hi-fi sound
    -I prefer midi sequencer on DT
    -DT better for repitching short melodic sounds and single-cycle waveforms to play a synth…
    Still glad I did it though. Whether it’s a good move depends on your goals and temperament.

Prices for the OT in the netherlands retail are around 1260 euro’s… And the price never go down… Seems they are aware of the steady value of it…

I’m a Digi owner that just recently purchased and am learning an OTmkII.

You’ll get a variety of opinions but my immediate suggestion is to definitely keep the Digi around for a while for comparison. The OT learning curve is real. I’m currently struggling through it myself. Knowing the Digi will help somewhat, but the machine is really deeper than you can wrap your head around. So I would suggest having the Digi around just so that you can have some way to hop on something quickly to blow off some steam.

I personally think the Digi effects and filter sound slightly better, but as @sezare56 points out, there are way more control options on the OT. I would also say that distortion options (Lo-Fi effect, mostly) are better on the OT than the Digi. If you’re anything like me, you’ll miss the Digi’s sound engine at first, but I’m starting to learn how to sculpt the sound in a way that I like it. I love Digi’s compressor but have yet to explore much of OT’s compressor. I would say that another immediate difference is the way that the system mutes. On OT, it’s an immediate mute where on Digi it mutes the next trig. There might be a way to change this, but I don’t know yet. I also like to be able to scroll around samples while they are triggering and look at where I am in the audio editor. A shocker for me is that I haven’t yet found a way to view a sample in the SRC page on OT like you can on Digi. I haven’t searched around too much if this is just something I need to learn or if it’s actually a feature that isn’t available on OT. It’s a big one in my workflow, so that’s on my list of things to figure out. I’ll be screaming for that feature if it’s not available.

Basically, as you will find in many other threads, the main difference is ease of use and a (subjectively of course) slightly brighter sound/effects from Digi. I’m expecting to need several months to a year for learning OT whereas I was making tracks on the Digi on the first day. Currently hanging onto hope that learning the instrument is worth it. My first time I sat at an organ wasn’t quite so comfy either.

2 Likes

View the sample in the Audio Editor page (AED button). If you havnt taken a look there yet, I suggest you do. Way more options there than on DT.

2 Likes

The best idea.

No way! For the raisins you mentioned :laughing:

1199 at audiosolution fr

Also someone who owns both DT and OT, and knows how to use OT properly should do a sampling comparison to put the myth about OT sound quality to bed once and for all.

My findings was that the OT is a very transparent sampler, but I did not compare it to DT as I had sold my DT by then, I did compare to AR, OT won on sound quality of sampling in that it did not add or take anything away.

I love raisins too!
Grape in French! :smile: :wine_glass:

Raison d’etre :laughing:

2 Likes

You beat me to it!!