Buy Heat when you have Rytm?

I did Google this but couldnt find an answer. Is the filter in the heat the same as the rytm? I had a heat mk 1 but couldnt stand the screen as I couldnt see the thing unless right over it and I have a rytm now. Wondering if a Heat would add much to having a Rytm as I use overbridge now and can route daw audio into the filter, and distortion etc… anyone think it is good to have both?

Rytm into Heat sounds pretty awesome, mostly because it’s drums + distortion so you can’t go wrong. But I also really like the master distortion built into the Rytm, and it’s nice to have it all in one box, so I typically don’t use the Heat with it. (Analog Four, on the other hand, benefits greatly with a Heat on the end of it.)

I don’t think the Rytm and Heat filters are the same, but I don’t know for sure. Just from playing with them, the Heat’s filter resonance is extra gnarly and starts self-oscillating a lot sooner than Rytm’s. But again, I’m speculating here, probably someone else has a more technical answer for you.

1 Like

I think you’ll find a lot of people on here who believe owning both a Rytm and Heat to be a most enjoyable position to find oneself in.

As for the filter question, I’m not sure.

2 Likes

Make something that sounds great sound even better? Yes.

I don’t believe it is the same filter. Plus it’s a filter over an entire stereo mix, so different in that regard.
But yea, Rytm has a great compressor, add some harmonic excitement on top of that and you have tracks that sound as good as most records.

There are just a few Elektron boxes I think that Heat is overkill. Mostly due to their own internal drive facilities (ironically, they’re mostly digital) :
MC
MS
ST
DN

The rest are just itching to get Heated :heat:

3 Likes

Heat is always a good idea!

3 Likes

A lot of us thought heat was an overpriced luxury item when it came out. Most of us were proved wrong. Adds value to any elektron box. Heat mk1 screen works just fine for me.

1 Like