Build your own CS-80 clone for $999 [Deckard's Dream]

MW should be back up today, at least that is the rumor. If you laid $ down for DD I am sure Roman will hold one for you…

2 Likes

man that’s a decent price. I expected it do be double that :+1:

I have some extra income in the fall and winter these days and this year I was planning to use it for a small Faderfox controller, a TTSH kit and the parts for the crOwBX board set I got last winter, but now I’m not so sure. This looks pretty great.

EDIT: looks like the $999 doesn’t include the rack enclosure and panel, either, so that’s another $220 plus shipping (which isn’t actually that bad, a one off milled aluminum panel with printing and an inset on the back for an acrylic window is not cheap - I got a similar MIDIbox SEQ panel made a couple years ago and it was over $200 just for the panel, and that was only 3u). Still probably worth i if you can afford it but that’s a lot of money for just a board set with a few presoldered parts.

1 Like

yeah, it will probably set one back about 2000€ in total + soldering time and so on. But man, this is the only analog poly with POLYPHONIC aftertouch! The demo’s sound just great as well. Plan to control the deckard with two Rolia seboard blocks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh I know, it’s really tempting to just get the boards and case and then wait for another 6 months before I can actually get the parts to build ANY of the DIY projects I’ve got backburnered right now.

I’m in the weird position of having two 90s ROMpler keyboards that will respond to poly aftertouch but won’t actually send it, which is kind of a shame (actually the QS7.1 might send but not respond, I have to check the manual on that - that would rule because it may not be the most popular synth in the world but the aftertouch response is great)

1 Like

I know they don’t have MPE, but I believe all of DSIs synths respond to poly aftertouch. I know the REV 2 does for sure. So there is a few other poly analogs out there that respond to poly AT

2 Likes

:open_mouth: ! Didn’t know that! Gonna try with my P08. Too bad I dont have a keybed that transmits PAT yet.

1 Like
1 Like

I really like the Deckard’s Dream, been pondering this one for a bit now… :slight_smile:

It´s really good…

Here’s a track I did with the Deckard’s, a Digitone for sequencing and more voices, and a RYTM on drums. Did a couple overdubs with the DD after the jam.

It’s a pretty special synth. Super limited pallet, but soooo lush.

Edit: here’s another that’s just DD and Digitone

4 Likes

really nice stuff, especially the synth sounds and melodies. I would really consider fixing that clap on the first track, it’s doing a disservice to the rest of the track. It’s a bit too frantic, too loud, and maybe a bit too dry. Other than that, the deckard sounds awesome, and I really like your harmonic palette :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Finished my build. Popping sound on one card so going to try to fix it tomorrow. Pumped! It took so long.

11 Likes

Are you the guy I promised whose album I would buy on account of all the time/money/energy you sunk into the project?

Edit: be honest, I’d probably buy your album solely off your :heat: jokes through this teaser period

4 Likes

Thanks! I’m not sure I am lmao. I’m just going to get a rack with a patchbay and then start writing. I will let you know whenever I write an electronic album :slight_smile: it was the biggest to do for me!

2 Likes

Very neat of you to tackle this project! I would go for the DIY option, but I have zero soldering skills, and I wouldn’t want to flush a ton of money down the drain over a botched job. I think I’ll be saving my money towards the Xerxes (that chorus is sexy).

1 Like

Definitely need to be a experienced. I have great advice from my father who is very good at this sort of stuff. If I diddnt have that I’d be stumped!

1 Like

This was me :slight_smile:

@Zifor congrats on finishing! How does it sound? I can’t wait to hear mine. How long did it take? And did you run into any issues? It’s a lot of work.

I’m currently doing voice cards. I burned out one card, hopefully can get a replacement from black corp.

1 Like

did you speak to Bob yet?

1 Like

Yup, he got back to me today, he’s poking around to see if they have any v1 voice cards left. If not, I’ll try the fb group, and if that’s no good then… I guess I’ll try to repair with some jumper wires :grimacing: