Bug with setting users to "Muted"?

I’ve been using the Muted feature for users, rather than getting into a back and forth with the same people over and over. But when I set one user to Muted, I see all other users as Muted. And if I unmute somebody (i.e. set them to “Normal”) because I never wanted that person muted in the first place, it unmutes everybody, including the person I wanted to mute.

This seems to be the Discourse bug described here as well:

Testing to see if you’ve muted me yet. :clown_face:

1 Like

Currently every single person on the site is unmuted.

As soon as one person gets on my tits, you’ll all be muted again!

2 Likes

i use “ignore” instead of “mute” and have been unaware of any issues as described

It’s not flawless though, they still show up to some extent, such as their avatar showing when they’re the last to comment and in replies etc. I want it to be like they never existed haha

3 Likes

+1 for the “erase entire existence” feature

3 Likes

So does anybody else see this bug when muting people?

I’m using Chrome on an Android phone. I should check if the same thing happens on a desktop computer…

I’m on iPhone and Safari. I was able to ignore you (then revert the change) but I wasn’t able to mute you or anyone else for that matter. My previous ignores and mutes remain in place. Bug confirmed! Although this is another bug technically. In any case, the mute functionality ain’t working.

1 Like

If someone doesn’t manage to put you on ignore on a forum after a few months you aren’t doing the internet right.

2 Likes

I’ve just checked and the bug doesn’t happen using firefox on a desktop machine. I can mute one user, and nobody else gets muted.

And it also looks like muting/unmuting somebody on my phone work, and doesn’t affect everybody. I’ve checked by muting/unmuting on my phone and checking their profile on my desktop.

But every time I mute or unmute somebody on my phone, it makes everybody show up as that state when viewed from my phone. But not from the desktop.

So the bug is just with displaying the “normal” / “muted” setting on my phone, apparently. So maybe muting still works.

Worked example:

I mute craig on my phone, then go to onthebannedwagon’s profile, and he shows as muted too. I check on the desktop computer, and only craig is muted. On my phone I change onthebannedwagon to “normal” (i.e. unmuted) and now craig shows as unmuted too. But on the desktop, craig is still muted (and onthebannedwagon was never really muted anyway, he just showed up that way).

So on my phone, all users show up with the last set muted/normal state I set for any user, even if I set it for a completely unrelated user.

Yeah it’s definitely broken I just didn’t want to bring it up lol

1 Like

It’s so weird… this whole thread is empty?

3 Likes

This is awesome !
I’ve wanted this for so long — not often, but when i need it, what a life-saver.

ADDED : It even blobs out the content when someone else quotes the “ignored”. I think they were responding to me, but i will never know.
I’m a mod now for my own little world. This and “muting” threads — probably 95% of new threads goes straight to mute — is bliss.

3 Likes

Reminds me of the olden days, when phones had dials, “horsepower” referred to the number of animals pulling your cart and every email and Usenet client had killfile functionality. And it worked. (Mostly because it took real work to get a second email address)