Buchla & Tiptop Audio Series 200 Eurorack Modules

Price is like behringer level, totally crazy. The demo i heard sounds incredible though. A little closer to the specific classic buchla sound (maybe its just the patch though) than verbos. I’d keep my harmonic osc and bark filter though, and maybe random sampling for the quad ASR. I think they’re getting ahead of a potential B clone here and pricing competitively to that as well.

3 Likes

YES. I should have mentioned: the sounds in that introductory video sound great.

Trigger pulse can be different too.

If you want to mix, try looking here:

1 Like

From another forum from Tiptop R&D:

To fully clarify - these are Euro modules:

- 3.5mm jacks throughout
- 1V/oct for pitch
- 10vpp audio levels not line level
- 0-10V CV (like the original)

What about the rest of the 200 series?

We will try to make as many of the modules as is feasible. A number of them were only made as prototypes and some of those never finished or fully functional. What will not be made: 100 series, Music Easel, 300 series including the 221 keyboard for programming the 300 computer.

Pricing and availability?

Supply chain and component pricing are why the dates and prices are given as ranges instead of exact terms. The volatility is extremely high - for example the latest trend is price gouging for capacitors just because. Our goal is to do as large a run as possible to satisfy demand. Unfortunately, quite a bit is beyond our control.

These products are being made under license from Buchla.

8 Likes

Tiptop have a gap in their range, no oscillators! I thought that was strange now all makes sense.

That case is very playful looking. I want a go.

So far they only have the 258 shown. It is indeed a dual oscillator, but the DPO et al is modeled after the 259, which is the origin of the “complex” oscillator. That’s the module that really brought the oscillator interaction and wave folding to the mix.

4 Likes

It seems the one they did is the 258, wich WAY simpler than the 259, the one most euro complex VCOs are taking inspiration from, so it’s totaly possible I think that it can sound super good.

EDIT: Just saw @hermbot beated me to it hahaha

4 Likes

Wow, this is BIG news, never thought I ever would get my hands on somerhing that has to do with Buchla. And pricing, damn. And to clone the modules with Buchla on board is great.

Seams like other brands have understood that if we don’t do it Behringer will. I don’t think we would have seen these releases without Behringers pressure on other brands.

2 Likes

I have no doubt it’ll sound good. Really exciting release.

If this is available in Australia, I’m definitley interested.
The Barp 2500 just lost its appeal.

A Buchla system has always been on my unobtainable list. Always loved the Buchla sound aesthetic thing.

2 Likes

Tip top are the right guys to team up with. They have the infrastructure to produce these modules at a high quality for a great price.

1 Like

Pretty excited for the Source of Uncertainty module, which I could definitely see adding to my case. I have the Doepfer a-149-1 and have previously had a NLC Sauce of Unce (and a Wogglebug at one point) but each of those only tackles a part of the SoU functionality. Having it all under one panel for around $200 would be amazing.

4 Likes

Yet another Buchla admirer here who just wanted to dabble with West Coast modular but wasn’t serious enough to spend the serious money on Buchla USA gear. This will probably be my entry point to that

2 Likes

If they make a touch keyboard I will be forced against my will to buy the whole schmeer

It’s modular, you can buy just a schmidgen

and then, eventually, the whole schmeer.

because it is modular.

2 Likes

No, I am very weak willed, I say the whole schmeer :grinning:

But seriously, this is great stuff, very reasonable prices by a respectable builder giving proper credit. More of this, please.

2 Likes

This is, however, terrible motivation, regardless of any positive outcomes it might have.

1 Like

is it? I mean, if Roland had re-issued the 808 and 909 because of the B threat, would we be saying the same thing?

money Buchla gets from this licensing agreement will fund more “normal” Buchla things. so they can keep on being Buchla. a company who has changed hands multiple times in the past decade.

3 Likes

I would. I rarely believe that the ends justify the means. Having a copy-prone industry player so prominent is just not healthy in the long term. But this is probably not the right place for that discussion.

2 Likes