Buchla LEM218 v3

V3 of the LEM218 seems to have arrived.

https://buchla.com/lem218/

with midi polyphony and cv it seems to let you bring a little buchla magic to whatever you are using… not cheap at 1,299… I have always wanted one, and will probably get one.

9 Likes

I ordered one first thing this morning. I have been waiting for this since SAModular’s kit disappeared from their site. :grimacing:

6 Likes

Yeah, I have put in my order now :sweat_smile: I’ve spent too much time thinking about used V2s and the fleshed out features around midi pushed me over the edge. Controlling the Waldorf M from it sounds like too much fun.

1 Like

I’ve been doing the same - scouring for secondhand 218s.

I honestly wasn’t expecting it to be released any time soon - though there could be a wide gulf between announcement and release. However, at least one vendor has an expected delivery date of February 20th. Also, there was little (no?) delay between the new Program Manager for the Easel and its availability, so I am hopeful.

1 Like

ouhhh very excited to finally get one of these for my 208C! Feels a bit blasphemous playing it with a traditional keyboard.

2 Likes

I know what you mean! I keep sticking different controllers in front of mine, but none of them really feel right. Oddly, the one I’ve used the most is the Octatrack. Weird. :grimacing:

2 Likes

yep - seemed like my 208c demanded I get one of these :slight_smile:

but looking at it overall I think it’s a very capable controller -
polyphonic touch
banana
CV out to eurorack
midi
arpeggiator

and I was expecting the price to be more like 1700+USD

…and I hope it arrives around the same time as my Taiga :wink:

2 Likes

Where did you order ? What was the lead time ?

It’s got USB. Holy smokes

1 Like

Funny you should ask. I ordered directly from Buchla this morning and just got a shipping notice, so I guess no lead time?

2 Likes

Nice brother. I have a $1000 gift card burning a hole in my pocket. That command station looks more attainable now.

Let me know how it is with the command station and anything else you throw at it.

Peace

1 Like

I will indeed. I love that Command even without keys, but it’s hard not to feel that it was always meant to be partnered with the 218. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Do you ever wake up in the morning saying it’s an east coast synthesis day today / west coast synthesis day?

1 Like

I could never decide. That’s why I live in Kansas, smack dab in the middle of the country and equidistant from each coast… :laughing:

6 Likes

Huh, yeah I just got a notice saying I should get it tomorrow? I am guessing the shipping notice will update when it actually gets picked up with a more accurate time.

1 Like

Ha. Yeah. I got two shipping notices, one with a USPS tracking number, followed by a UPS tracking number. I think Nick must be a bit overworked. :thinking:

1 Like

It’s probably that thing where the main haul is UPS but transfers to the post office and the mail carrier delivers it. In FedEx talk it’s called SmartPost… but I only know that because I got a tool bag delivered by USPS via FedEx today…

On another note, I guess I need to expect the full easel announcement any day now huh? Been kinda’ stashing away money for it for awhile.

1 Like

Sounds like UPs surepost. The first leg is ups second is usps.

Scott did you get the memory card for the easel ?

1 Like

I have the card but haven’t had time to try it. :blush:

1 Like

Looks really good, I guess it makes a lot a sense with the Easel Command/Buchla System, otherwise a bit to expensive for a midi keyboard/controller.
However, there is one thing that strikes me from the videos and checking the photos: why on earth wouldn’t you fit the PCB into the metalic(or at least looks metalic) enclosure. I don’t have OCD but it triggered something in me, it looks amateurish both visually and from a durability point of view. If you drop it on the corners you could seriously damage the PCB.
I mean the Buchla Music Easel is the most beautiful synthesizer ever made, both visually and sonically(subjective but I really like it). It puzzles me that there’s always some weird compromises that could be easily avoided:

• the classics and Bemi where shipped in those ugly suitcases
  • Easel Command case is cheap plastic
  • now this

2 Likes

That is really strange