Buchla EMI is now Buchla USA

3 Likes

Well Marc Doty is in there too. I Hope for an increase in build quality and a German Dealer finally.

Yes, I heard about it from Doty (Automatic Gainsay)'s post on FB

Buchla USA has reissued the 200 series modules:
https://buchla.com/buchla-200-classic-reissue-series/

I guess the difference (besides pricing) compared to the Tiptop Buchla 200 modules is the TipTop ones being Eurorack format.

1 Like

$999 for a dual vco module.
the cheapest module $799 !!

insane.

2 Likes

Just for fun, a visual comparison of the 258 from TipTop and Buchla USA. Not to scale, though.

I guess if my grandparents left me a vintage Buchla series 200 system, and it got lost in a flood… AND I had the cash to spare, I’d have the sentimental attachment and whatnot to spend the extra money over the Tiptop modules

1 Like

No that’s actually quite low priced for a Buchla…

I am still waiting for the Tiptop audio ones…13 weeks delivery…

That’s cool and all but Buchla seems to do everything it can to keeps in instruments out of the hands of musicians between the insane price points and lack of availability/accessibility.

Even if I had an extra $20,000 to drop on a synth I couldn’t say it wouldn’t be much muchbetter invested into Eurorack. It’s unfortunate because the 200e has been a dream of mine for almost 20 years at this point. I have to place it in the unattainable category for me. I even almost bought a music easel back in august but I ended up changing my mind last minute because I knew I’d just want to expand on it and never would be able to.

There is a separate thread for this already.

No, not the same. The Buchla USA 200 modules are not Eurorack, and most decidedly not in the same price range.

1 Like

Ah, okay, sorry for the confusion.

I dunno why Behringer havent copied the Buchla 200 or music easle yet, I mean it begins with B already…

2 Likes

I guess Behringer only clones the synths that Uli actually likes - and Buchla is not on his list.

Could also be that he does not see much potential for profit. His company doesn’t seem to have any interest in cloning Serge synths either.

Interesting that they are Roman"s redesigns/approximations of the original 200 series - these have been available for some time now, and can often be found for much less cash than busa price on the used market.

If I was chasing these I’d be looking at diy/rent a builder/used clones route. If I wanted a 200 series I’d be looking at the MEMS project.

1 Like

yeah I don’t know enough about these modules to know if there’s any difference between the two, other than how much more fun it is to patch with bananas versus 1/8" cables. but even then… it’s Buchla so it’s not all bananas anyway; need TinyJax for audio.

only Buchla I’ve played/owned was an Easel. and it was incredible. I highly suggest getting one if you get the chance. you CAN expand it via the card interface (there’s some massive expansion options) and you can interface with a Buchla system if desired. I suggest the newer Easel when it’s available though, as I think the new 208 is better (in most ways, arguably worse in others). I WILL be getting one again.

as for money being better spent on euro versus Buchla… I don’t have a definitive opinion there as 1) again, never played/owned a full Buchla modular system, and 2) never owned $20k in euro. my sense and understanding from Buchla users though is that the modules are much more multi-function, versus euro modules that tend to be singular function. so they cost more, but you get more. Serge is like this as well.

as far as Buchla “doing everything it can to keeps in instruments out of the hands of musicians” I don’t know… I simply don’t know why they’re priced the way they are. but I don’t think it’s ever hurt Buchla enough that they’re concerned about it. so why change now? maybe they like the size of their company and their passionate user-base enough that they simply don’t care. I don’t know… and anyway, they partnered with TipTop to make the euro version of these, which I would call a huge step towards getting these into the hands of more musicians. even if the euro variants aren’t 100% the same internally; they’ve got to be close enough that Buchla put their name on them.

I think the Buchla name/brand is significantly different to it was since Don left the operation and passed (RIP to a true visionary). Price wise in days gone by it was down to Don’s R&D and the microscale nature of productions - I believe Don self funded lots of his work through regular work. (I say regular - nasa isn’t so regular!)

Nowdays pricing is perhaps more open to interpretation - unless serious work has gone into redesigning Romans reproductions/replications I’m not sure why the 230 for example needs to be quite so high, though I’m just pleased that a company has found a way to keep the 200e alive. If that means over charging so be it. It would be terrible if the 200e was lost forever.

And yes, imagine the tiptop stuff will be a reasonably good approximation, since the circuits have been floating around the diy crowd for years now. If their 258 sounds like the Peake version (and quite probably j3rk’s, though I’ve not heard that irl) folk are in for a treat.