Bricked Digitakt after 1.04

Has anyone else experienced this?! I updated to 1.04 last night, and was able to use the device afterwards to make some music. I wake up this morning and the device will no longer power up. I checked all the connections, at the transformer and at the device, tried unplugging all cables except power, tried different outlets and still no result. I"m kinda at the point where I’m going to return this device. As much as I want to like it, between bugs and now this it’s simply not worth it.

hold FUNC while turning it on and see if you get the test screen… then reboot

1 Like

I didn’t do that but it randomly just decided to start working again. Might be locking up at the bootloader, since this recent update also flashed the bootloader. If that was the case holding func wouldn’t help because that’s a part of the bootloader. Also there was showing that any kind of boot sequence was initiated by the device. Not even the backlight of the screen glowing.

i’d be thinking about returning it if mine did that… how long is the warranty on the Digitakt?

It eventually booted after leaving it alone for a few hours, and a friend suggested doing a factory reset on it so it did and it froze at the factory reset so that was kinda like the straw that broke the camels back and i returned it.

1 Like

Elektron offers 3 years of warranty.

"Warranty

Elektron machines bought 2010-07-05 and later come with a three year limited warranty, starting from the date of the original purchase."

2 Likes

I remember uploading 1.04 and the Digitakt told me to reboot it afterwards, something it never asked me to do for 1.01 and 1.02. Maybe you skipped a step, you can try reloading 1.04 again and reboot after if possible.

he returned it.

1 Like

Mine asked me for 1.03 and 1.04 (came with 1.02 since I bought a returned unit).

Strange, I skipped 1.03 and Digitakt did not ask for it. It appears every Digitakt is a snowflake.

3 Likes

1.01 to 1.02 no reboot. 1.02 to 1.03 asked for a reboot. Haven’t done 1.04 mostly because I haven’t had the time to even power it on lol

In the 40 minutes I’ve played with a working Digitakt it blew me away (being my 5th sampler in 20 years). I loaded some test samples to the +Drive to confirm it worked then put it aside till xmas day.

• Fired it up and today (xmas) and updated to 1.04 via USB (it came with 1.02). It it updated fine (same as @kwamensah here) I even took a 5 min break (and powered it down) and it was fine on reboot using 1.04. But then after a longer lunch break it froze during boot on the logo effect. And it’s done this ever since.

It get’s stuck in same position on the logo “particle effect” every time :-o

• I’ve tried deep power cycling
  • I’ve tried leaving it off for an hour with power unplugged
  • I’ve tried leaving it to “boot” for a few hours as someone here recommended
  • While it will not boot, it can get into the diagnostics mode using FUNC + Power
  • In diag mode I’ve run the tests and it reports back fine
  • In diag mode I’ve re-flashed the OS via MIDI cables using the sysEx tool (not USB)
  • In diag mode I’ve tried to factory reset / empty reset
  • It still freezes on boot :-o

Never thought for a moment an Elektron would boot fail like this with a software glitch. (if that’s what it is) I’m a bit concerned I can’t get the older firmware to try and flash back to. Anyone have 1.03 or 1.02 on file?

Have you re-downloaded the 1.04 file? You might have a bad copy on disk.

Mine did the same thing - it froze on the logo wash every single time at exactly the same spot. I ended up just returning the DT, and honestly wasn’t interested in getting a new replacement because of all the DT bugs. I preordered an AR2 instead, and I’m hoping Elektron has worked out the majority of bugs in it before they actually release it.

1 Like

Yes @mzero I have. And have tried from two sources also. (Many moons of flashing microcontrollers / flash carts has taught me this!) @pselodux has sent me an archive of 1.02 and I’m going to try and flash that next. I would assume it has a CRC in place to avoid flashing a bad file though.

@Meriphew - Yes - I saw your story - your image was the sole reference point I had that I wasn’t alone in this fault (thanks!). I’m so far assuming bad hardware luck as I know 1000’s of them are out there. I’m ok with using occasional work-arounds until a solid firmware arrives - as long as it doesn’t crash during a live performance.

Ah man, sorry to hear it, @cTrix - When it works, it is an awesome instrument. Hope you get it sorted out soon.

1 Like

When it works, it is an awesome instrument.

Indeed - I got enough “preview” time to fall in love!

• I flashed the unit back to version 1.02… which seemed to work as it showed the older system version on the LCD when it booted. But then crashed on the very same set of pixels on the logo animation.

• Flashed back to 1.04 and it’s still crashing on exactly the same frame of pixels

• Direct USB flashing doesn’t work at all (it doesn’t detect) - as far as I know you can only update via USB from the OS system menu once it’s booted (which I did when it worked). So still using a MIDI interface + C6.EXE app.

• I also tried turning the power off when it says “upgrading do not turn off” using the logic that sometimes gear goes into a recovery mode under such conditions and it may reset some memory / registers at a bootstrap level. But no, same thing.

• I’ve also noticed that if I turn it on and off in less than about 15 seconds the screen remains black - but this seems to be a common issue? I can deal with 15 second boot-cycle… no biggie. (but maybe it’s a sign something else is wrong?)

• I’ve tracked down a voltmeter and confirmed I’m getting 12VDC out of the switch mode PSU.

I’m heading to a NYE show straight from the airport (on holiday at moment) and the Elektron is 50% of the rig and 67% of the sound - so determined to get my samples / stems / hits on it and working!

I believe the recommended wait time before rebooting the digitakt after power down is 30 seconds. Something about needing to discharge a component. Ultimately that doesn’t help your problem though.

Try to disconnect it for 10min from power supply and then restart.