Brexit and consequences

Ah yeah. Dealt with Hermes who are their UK counterpart before and they are rubbish for sure

Well, fingers crossed. Pulled the trigger. Price too tempting, and have had a few bad experiences with second hand gear.

Spoke to the BAX receptionist today lol. Wanted to confirm some stuff. Said a customer support person would get back to me, which of course they didn’t. In the meantime my GAS got the better of me…

Wanted to ask if they wld pack the thing in an outer box if u know what I mean. Got a Digitakt from Andertons a while back, came with a bit of bubble wrap around the elektron box, then a dpd plastic bag. Poor thing was properly beaten up. Ok inside though. Customer svcs were like ‘sorry ur Digitakt had a rough ride, please make sure you check the encoders’…

1 Like

You got me totally wrong. I didn’t judge the situation, didn’t make any political statement, I only named facts, and made a recommendation. Here is the long story … :wink:

Since we don’t know, whether the EU and the UK will have an agreement, we face the possibility of having hard boarders in some months. For any business this means that each exchange of goods has to be processed by customs. That’s business as usual for world-wide-trade between countries not beeing in a customs union.

My experience with warranty and repair is that I was always asked, did you buy this product in our shop? If I had to say no, it was: please contact your reseller, they are responsible to support you in the first place.

For us this means that we will need to contact our reseller in the UK or the EU, doesn’t matter which direction. I suppose they will support us, but we have to take care of the customs process and the fees. Even for a warranty return we have to pay customs duties and do all the paper work, because goods are physically “exported”. If we use UPS or other services, they will offer to take care of the customs handling, but they charge fees, which are anything but low. At the end, if the product is “re-imported”, it creates the same hassle a second time.

Until now we enjoyed offerings of 30 days return policy, had decent warranty, and repair support just by getting the gear back in a box and send it on its way … but soon … this might be history.

To buy expensive gear from the EU in the UK or the other direction, bears the risk of some trouble in the future. That’s very sad, but I think a realistifc assessment.

2 Likes

Haha well we are both in the same boat mate, fingers crossed! :smile:

1 Like

What you are saying now is very neutral.

However, your statements in the original comment which included “decided to break the contract with the EU” and “London parliament” are very very politically loaded and are the subject of much political debate and are most definitely your interpretation and may well be indicative of your political views on the subject, which is in itself very political. (Hint: whether there was a contract and whether it is broken is a political position as is whether contract law applies between countries. There is absolutely no such thing as a “London parliament” - making such a comment is taking a very political position).

1 Like

No, definitely not.
Maybe you missed this snipped of UK history … the speach of the UK prime minister.

It was stated clearly by himself and also understood by members of the parliament as is, then it was debated after the speach for some time, but at the end, the parliament voted to follow the prime minister. That’s a fact of history, but not a political loaded comment. :wink:

Peace :smiley:

There is absolutely no “London parliament” - saying there is a London parliament is very political.

I didnt watch it but at the time, I believe he said they intended to break international law in a “very specific and limited way”. It isnt a contract. It’s a treaty. That’s different. Whether the law actually gets broken will be determined in a political way, if at all… all international law is political.

Many EU nations have many more current breaches than the UK. How they get actioned is very political.

I really dont want to argue the pros and cons of the politics. My point was to argue that the poster’s statements were very very political and were made from a clear position of the poster’s personal politics and to claim they didnt want to start a political discussion by making political statements was farcical.

Since I am no UK citizen, I’m ignorant of “London parliament” beeing offensive for some people or misinterpreted to be political. Sorry. I should have written correctly House of Commens.

Edit: Don’t believe, watch it :wink:

1 Like

Cool ! Let’s leave it there - it’ll just start getting silly if we continue :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hermes was good once. DPD are the only ones I use, I generally don’t buy from shops that don’t use DPD, apart from Amazon.

Yes :smiley:

Sad thing that we all, beeing UK or EU citizens will suffer in some ways.

According to the Novation website, if you need to return under warranty, you go directly to their distribution partner (not to the reseller) - so that sounds like a good thing? would have to find out which country BAX is actually based in first though…!

“While this warranty is provided by Novation, it is fulfilled by Novation’s distribution partner in the country in which you purchased the product. To contact Novation’s local distribution partner regarding a warranty issue, click here; they will advise you of the appropriate procedure for resolving the warranty issue.”

AFAIK The Netherlands, but has subsidiaries, like in Germany.

My Summit was sent back to them yes - it was a great service overall even though I had two faulty units… teething problems

The Hermes fun begins :joy: It was meant to be delivered today but actually got an email on Saturday afternoon saying they would deliver it between 4-8pm so I stayed in waiting… nothing :roll_eyes: and their tracking system was offline on Saturday! It now says “they had an issue getting to the delivery address” so I provided extra info (my buzzer is currently out of order so they have to call, which doesn’t help!).

Anyway, it’ll get here eventually, I’m in no rush and the price has gone up at Bax (was £915 at the weekend, now £835) so I’m glad I ordered when I did regardless! (I did think about waiting until the buzzer is fixed to order as I knew that would potentially cause issues, but my landlord is even more useless than Hermes so I could be waiting all year :joy:)

I feared the worst after my shipment got “delayed” in Hermes system, with my flat number missing from the address and the only way to contact them is a chatbot to which I got no response… but today it was out for delivery and a friendly driver showed up with it, only a day late in the end!

Only had a very quick go on it but it sounds, looks and feels amazing and has pride of place next to my OT! Can’t wait to play with it more after (during? :thinking:) work! It came with a UK plug fitted by the way so must be UK stock, Bax did include the euro converter too though. The firmware doesn’t have the last major update with extra wavetable so maybe they had a load of old stock to shift hence the price?

Bax seem to have them back on at £809 (you can get £5 off too if you sign up their newsletter, every little helps lol) so I guess I’d say go for it if you are after a Peak based on my experience. Bax seemed OK to me in my limited interactions, Hermes are not great and I’d never use them by choice, but it’s a good £200 under the prices elsewhere so worth it in this case I think.

Hope yours arrives smoothly too @Decdog!

2 Likes

Sounds great - enjoy!

Mine out for delivery tomorrow supposedly. Btw I did send an email over the weekend to the customer services email to ask if they were putting it in an external/outer box, and they promptly wrote back on Monday saying that the Novation box would have bubblewrap around it and then put inside another cardboard box.

Buzzer not working over here either - you’ve reminded me to stick up a big sign saying ‘please knock hard’ between now and tomorrow…!

1 Like

Mine came inside the biggest box I’ve ever received, lol. Filled with those big bubble pouches. So no worries about packaging.

Haha yes get that note up. It’s such a pain, most delivery companies are actually OK with phoning (including Hermes, thankfully!), but Royal Mail won’t even try, they just leave a card… even though I wrote my politest note and said a missed call is fine. Their customer services said they don’t have work phones and wouldn’t be expected to use their personal phones for this, which I do kind of get but… annoying. Anyway I’ll send my daily text harrassing my landlord to get it fixed soon :joy:

Slightly off topic. But whenever Hermes are mentioned I have a chuckle and remind myself of this video.

2 Likes

Be very wary of dv247 as well. I ordered from what looked like a UK store - they advertised it was from their central warehouse - the video on their website is captioned as warehouse UK. The cars on the photo of their central warehouse are driving on what appears to be the left. So I ordered from them. Next thing I get is an email from DHL with an estimated delivery date from Germany !! (It’s been stuck in German export customs now for days…). I’m probably naive but feel a bit deceived and will never touch them again…

1 Like