Breaking out of the pattern .. (MC Song Mode)

One of the things that frustrates me about Elektron devices, for all I love about them, is the limitation of the pattern. This is helped on devices with Song mode (and many tracks, like Machinedrum), and even better those where the kit isn’t tied to the pattern. I think I’m not alone when I speak of a desire for a marriage of longer-form composition and live modulation … one wants to feel like a “conductor” more than a frantic micro-manager of things that could more easily be pre-written, leaving one free to do other things like play a live rhythm or melody while the track goes on, yet is synthesized live for that extra something. Model Cycles lacks song mode (though pattern chaining is a good-enough replacement), and only has 6 tracks to live mute. The problem is that the kit is tied to the pattern.

I’m eager to try out Megacommand Live once it arrives. Besides supercharging my Machinedrum, the hope is to combine p-locked patterns on Model Cycles with live-sequenced sections that have more length and freedom, sequenced on MCL. (CC input on Cycles doesn’t work the same as p-locking, it “glides”, thus the compromise of using both sequencers.) Let’s say 4 tracks sequenced on the Cycles, 2 on the MCL, no pattern switches means sounds can evolve independently of the song’s progression. I’ve tried Pyramid, but decided it was overkill and am really looking forward to the integration with MD that MCL provides.

Still I was wondering does anyone have their own workflow for breaking out of the pattern on M:C, without an external sequencer? Or do you use an external sequencer? The dream is something that evolves compositionally but doesn’t necessarily “reset” all the sounds every 4 or 8 bars.

2 Likes

I’m with you on this. I come from a more traditional music background of classical piano then rock/punk guitar. I think of songs linearly with different sections, transitions, variations. (I am not saying that I think this is superior or inferior to other styles of music making! Just the way my brain is wired)

But because of this, I find a lack of song mode on any device with a sequencer extremely limiting. It makes a device feel incomplete to me. So far I’ve only completed one song using my Model:Cycles. I ended up copying and pasting the same kit onto 7 different patterns, and then I recorded the whole drum section of the song onto one stereo track into Pro Tools in one take, manually switching patterns. Yes, I could have chained the patterns but I would have felt like a schlub just sitting there for 3 minutes while I waited for the thing to play out lol and the fact that the chains don’t persist once you turn the device off feels self-defeating.

The way I recorded it doesn’t really feel like how the device was intended to be used, but I am happy with the results, so this workflow works for now I suppose.

3 Likes

My biggest gripe of the MC… :neutral_face:
Being able to chain sequences and then adjust the parameters while it changes through them without the sounds resetting would be so good.

2 Likes

Title says it all. Why is there still no firmware update for the M:C that adds Song Mode? I feel totally sad today Elektron.

2 Likes

Hapax!

Honestly, I’d be happy with pattern mutes for the M:S, then you could use the chain mode to create songs

3 Likes

screen too lil

5 Likes

if there’s no song mode for the Digitakt or Digitone, there will certainly be no song mode for the model cycles. Get in line :slight_smile:

I’d love it, but don’t get your hopes up. It is very likely at this stage that it will never happen, sadly.

https://www.elektronauts.com/news/572

3 Likes

Gold

5 Likes

I can’t decide if it’s a joke, or for reals talk in here…

2 Likes

Either way boring thread

1 Like

I dont’t care for a song mode, but todays Syntakt update got my hopes up, that portamento will be also added to the M:C :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I agree if we got some kind of performance mode that saved track mutes per pattern and also let you press a track to mute it, the Models boxes wouldn’t really need song mode

they’re plenty performable but need some extra mute functionality for easier pattern chaining and mute flexibility

if we had that I’d be content chaining patterns and using pattern length to build out songs

Hah, didn’t expect to see this one resurrected.

And I called Pyramid “overkill”. Yikes…

M:C doesn’t need song mode… Can you imagine trying to edit a song with the its data knob and teeny screen?

Okay, well here are the techniques I use to make songs after gaining experience.

• Chaining + CH.LEN
  • Recording patterns into Ableton
  • External sequencing

Voila. Mind-blowing, I know.

If anything I think it just needs a way to turn off loading of sounds when you switch patterns (kit-like functionality). The whole Digi line too.

Anyway I’m looking at Digitakt ads now …

1 Like