Boum Po’ boy

anyone with recommendations for a poorman’s oto boum?

eurorack wavefolders are finicky, while feedback mixers get too big for the job. i haven’t tried a driven tape-recorder for saturation, but it feels like a round-about solution…

somewhere in between is a pedal for saturation + dirt + compression ?? any tips? a fuzz face? unpleasant surprise? wavolver?

thanks!

1 Like

You mentioned Eurorack, assuming that’s an option have you checked out the Ghost from Endorphin.es & Andrew Huang ?

DJ filter, sidechain compression, distortion, delay and reverb all in one unit - audiophile approach to the signal path too. I’m not sure how much if any of it is analog but it’s a very cool module for a good chunk less than a Boum.

Otherwise I don’t know of any great options tbh, there’s the Planaterium by Neon Egg but it may not do exactly what you’re after and they’re not easy to get hold of - probably only a bit cheaper than a Boum too.

1 Like

anyone have experience w a micro limiter?

Analog Heat :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

(Seriously tho, MKIs are cheap if you can find one)

2 Likes
4 Likes

No compressor though!

If it had one boy that would be killer

mk3 pleeeease

1 Like

analog drive mk2

Cheesy Instruments instant mastering chain.
A tenth of Stimmming’s one.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cf_JaYHAPLB/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

270€ with transport fees in EU, it seems.
I still have no idea how it sounds though.
I guess @sseemmii has to produce something with it for us to check ^^

FMR Audio RNLA is also well known for its stereo compression with character.

2 Likes

leveling amplifier = limiter ?

what are the advantages of a compressor vs a limiter ? fmr rnla 7239 vs rnc 1773

Boss BX-8 and CS-3.

1 Like

Get a cheap mic and record a room with nothing in it. Then have that as one of your tracks.

3 Likes

For Eurorack, Modbap just announced this one yesterday, it is open for preorder:

3 Likes

I was also thinking about the Cheesy Instrument Mastering unit but to be fair no one here knows yet how it sounds like.
As metioned in the dedicated thread, the guy is working alone and very busy, long delay to be expected.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve had one of these for a few years now. It’s not going to get you any substantial amount of grit or drive. it does work well as a limiter though. I had mine patched in before any inputs went into my interface for years.

1 Like

What if you used a combination of things? Like maybe Electro-Harmonix Operation Overlord which is a stereo distortion, and then a stereo compressor like FMR RNC or even another Electro Harmonix pedal for compression, like the Platform

I used an Analod Heat for “warming” up and saturating my mixes for a while but when i tried the Platform i sold the Analog Heat. The AH is definitely more versatile but the Platform does all i need. A bit of compression and a little bit or lots of drive. I’m sure the Boum is the better device but for me the Platform is enough. I also have a GSSL compressor for cleaner mixes though.
If i needed one box for every day use or on stage i’d probably save up and go with the Boum.

2 Likes

Inverted ASR controlling the VCA? And you can set the threshold.

1 Like

A limiter is basically a harder compressor. With a compressor, you can compress to the vibe of a song and glue a mix together by limiting transients. A limiter on the other hand is often used end of chain mastering, or used in a live situation when you absolutely don’t want to go over a certain level. You can use it as an effect as well to really squash something. These aren’t hard rules and use cases, and there are more nuances between the two, but this is a brief description. Some compressors have higher settings so that they can also be used as limiters. I think the Boum has a setting so that it can be used either as a limiter or a compressor.

2 Likes

The Platform looks interesting. It has a nice feature set for the price.

You can do some cool stuff with the envelope follower but it still isn’t a compressor

Yea it can go to limiter and even beyond to ‘over compression’ which is 1:-1

Edit: By the way my understanding is that a compressor reduces the dynamic range of the whole waveform (normally along with makeup gain), where a limiter only squishes stuff that peaks over a threshold.

3 Likes