Boss RC-202 Loop Station

Rc202 menus are not intuitive, 2 digits.
When you select an fx, it cuts it.
The form factor suits DN and DT.

I prefered RC505, and Octatrack is much better.

Question about using the RC-202:

I record acoustic guitars with microphones, which means that if it hit a footswitch on a floor looper, or even the soft rubber pads on something like an RC-202, that handling noise will get picked up by the mic and mar the recording. So I need something that I can trigger from an external device.

In a perfect world, Iā€™d like to be able to arm my RC-202 while a pattern is playing on my A4, get settled and ready to start playing, and have the RC-202 start recording when the A4 pattern starts from the top. Then, when the A4 completes the pattern, have the RC-202 stop recording and simply go into playback mode. I know the OT can do this, but can the RC-202 do this?

Whatā€™s the terminology for this by the way? Quantized recording? MIDI sync?

Also are there other loopers that can do this that ALSO have 24-bit sound quality?

You can use 2 footswithes, or external midi.

Rc202 can be master or slave. I tried it a bit with OT. Sold. I prefered my previous Rc505. Iā€™m not sure you can decide loop length with Rc202. You can with Rc505 and Rc300 if I remember well. Check manuals.
Midi sync, midi slace, loop quantize, loop length.

Octatrack? :slight_smile:
Rc202, Rc505, and Rc300 are 16 bits.

the rc-202 has an ext. pedal input.

check this videoā€¦

maybe you can rec. arm it via a4 cv track with a cv trig (with trig condition ā€žplay only first timeā€œ)?

i think you can route the exp. in on rc-202 to several different thingsā€¦

1 Like

Good idea. I was previously wondering if A4 CV could be used as a switch, making contact. 2 switches possible in that case.
With Exp pedal mode, only one parameter possible. (Stop maybe).

Thanks folks. Reading these responses has been helpful.

Question: Does anyone know if the Infinity Looper can automatically stop recording at the end of a full 4 bar/measure pattern? I get that I can have it wait to start recording at the top of a pattern, but Iā€™m not sure if it will also be able to stop recording when the pattern completes. Or even if would know that a 64 step patterns has concluded.

Put another way, when my DT plays through its 4 bars and starts over at the top of the 64 step pattern, will the Pigtronx Infinity Looper also STOP recording automatically on its own? I need this to be entirely hands and feet free.

I know the OT can do this but there HAS to be a looper out there that can also do this, right?

Any fellow nauts using a rc-202? I just got one and I am really liking it. One thing I havent been able to find in the manual though, is how to select the active effect for editing.

User case: you have 3 effects on and you want to edit one that isnt selected for editing. How to edit it without turning it off first?

Enlighten me please if you have the answer.

Apart from this nibble: what a great machine to make lively loopes and to bridge the gap between producing and dj-ing.

To make this topic a bit more interesting than my technical question: if you have found any hot tips to abuse this machine in a musical way, then share, if you feel like it.

Very annoying indeed. I didnā€™t find out.
I sold it, I bought an RC505 again. Same problem btw.

I tried a cool tip found on YouTube. Record with slice fx, P13, 8th overdub. It makes arpeggios if you change notesā€¦

I found another video about itā€¦

I like BEAT SCATTER P3 and P4. You can record the last TRACK 4 fx.

Resampling is possible on RC505 setting INTPUT to LINE OUT off, not sure if itā€™s possible on RC202.

I also like one shot and single modes, but itā€™s more interesting on RC505ā€¦

Thanks for the feedback. I was already afraid that wouldnā€™t be possible. its what it is, still like it very much.

Resampling is possible as well on the 202. But as you have only two tracks on the 202 its less attractive to do so than on the 505. Personally `I am using it together with a mpc, so plenty of resampling options this way. Great combo.

And cool tips as well, already had some nice vibes going on trying these techniques. What I like to do myself is feeding it sustaining sounds and using the slicer, beat repeat and roller to get nice gated pads in various grooves. Works like a treat!

1 Like

Question for a fellow rc202 user:

I have connected the RC202 over usb to my moc live. Interestingly it shows 2 midi busses: rc202 midi 1 and midi 2.
I cant find any reference in the manual about the two midi busses. Anybody knows the difference between the two busses?
In use I can sync midi bus 1 or 2 and both busses will clock sync the rc202. So I am wondering, why are there 2 busses?

Hi RC-202 users,
Quick question,
When I save an effect, it saves to all the banks, can an effect be saved to a specific bank?
Cheers

Struggling a little with midi sync on my rc-202 - any advice gratefully received!

When synced to my roland mc-101, the rc-202 sync well. However when synced to my roland tr6s or blackbox, the pitch warbles and it doesnā€™t sync properly. Any ideas why this is or what settings I can adjust? Cheers.