Boss RC-202 Loop Station

Back to Boss RC with RC202. I had RC2, 50, 300, 505.
Works well slaved, OT master.

Simple access to reverse, replace, one shot is better.

Less functionalities compared to RC505. No faders. You can’t deactivate timestretch (tempo sync) apparently. Very STUPID limitations : 5 midi CC sources for 35 destinations !
No fx type change destination, no single mode for fx (interesting to toggle between Beat / Scat / Vynil fx), can’t tweak several fx parameters. Fx selection cuts it ! Workarounds ?

Is there a forum where I can complain especially about the ridiculous 5 midi CC sources ?
No update since release, lazy Boss !

I really like the almost AH/DT/DN form factor, compared to the huge RC505. I have an opportunity to get my RC505 back, exchanging with RC202, but it seems to work pretty well with OT ! 5 CCs, I still can randomize recording, reverse, track fx, track select, one shot play…

1 Like

Yeah. It’s funny the RC202 is the best looper I’ve owned, but like you said there are a few annoying bits that I wish Roland would solve via a software update, plus it is by far the ugliest piece of gear I own. I wonder how that new EHX looper is. It’s quite a chunk of change though.

1 Like

Pitty they are not class compliant (just had a glare at the manual), would be even more interested if it could double up as a dedicated ios interface… aghh gear gear gear … a fair representation of life. You can’t have it all. (At the same time). :loopy:

1 Like

Rc 505 is bigger and ugglier !
RC 202 seems discreet in comparison !
Don’t like EHX specs, even the 90 000, no timestretch, mono tracks, no fx, only pitch would interest me.

I should have watched this video last year before returning my RC-202. Wasn’t impressed at all by it when I had it but that seems to be because I didn’t use it to its potential.

On the fence right now between this and the Kaoss KP3. Not apples to apples but not 100% apples to oranges. Probably should buy both and sell the one that I don’t like. I veer towards glitchier stuff, so maybe I’ll like the KP3.

I had 2 KP2s and 1 KP3. Sold, no regrets. Not convenient at all if you want to save samples and use them elsewhere. Can be lost in patches. Change tempo changes pitch.
I’m ok with RC202 fx, I really like to combine beat scater P4 and instant reverse.

1 Like

i read that rc202 cant be well Sync to à midi clock.

so it is unusuable if you have other machine?!!!??!!

is it true ?

Not true. RC202 and RC505 can be master or slave without problems.
Tested with Octatrack.

RC300 and RC50 can’t.

1 Like

even with long sample of 4 bar length. it seems very unstable ?

Who said so ?
I tested with 16 bars loops or more, slave.

on a french music forum

but ok its a great news if it works well!!!

Audiofanzine ? Si t’as un lien…

oui audiofanzine

https://fr.m.audiofanzine.com/looper/boss/rc-202-loop-station/forums/t.617967,commentaires-sur-la-news-musikmesse-boss-rc-202-loop-station,p.8.html

Ok thanks, I followed and participated actively to that thread. Correct me if I’m wrong, nobody wrote having sync problems with Rc 202.
Only one weird guy talks about his slave sync problems with Rc 505. I didn’t have those problems with my Rc 505.

If you don’t have a good master clock, obviously you will have sync problems, like timestretch variations. I don’t have that problem with Octatrack recording guitar, I have to try with pads, and with MD.

Maybe you read it elsewhere, but apparently not in that thread.

Hey. As in the RC505, the RC202 has a microSd SDHC card in it. On the Rc505 it was a 4Go, I replaced it with a 32 Go and it was working.

Mentioned nowhere, I am the only one who disassemble its gear ? :smile:

11 Likes

Maybe the only one opening a Boss looper, yea :nerd_face::smile:

1 Like

I think OT and A4 are the only gear I didn’t disassembled ! Allen screws are not reassuring.
But I’d like to do A4’s outputs mod.

So you can extend memory. I’ll add you can edit the files to copy fx setttings for all patch memories quicker.

Hey sezare, when extending the memory of the 505, how did you format the bigger SD card?
I have a rc-202 and the manual says NOT to format the memory with the computer …?

Thanks
sulo.

I don’t remember, I tried with RC505.
I sold the RC202 too.

I have a digitakt and a digitone.
I was thinking about getting an rc 202 looper to run them thru for fx and looping.
Has anyone done anything like this and if so how is it ?

1 Like