Books that helped you make better music

Im a big Pink Floyd Fan. Not a book but a great explanation by Alan Parsons of how he produced their records)With Nick Masons help).

3 Likes

The 2 Walter Everett Beatles books should meet this requirement.

1 Like

Never been that interested in the music of Pan Sonic (Panasonic) but bought this book about Mika Vainio and it’s brilliant

If you’re into electronic music it’s a must buy, one of the best, very interesting character

3 Likes

Hasn’t showed up in my electronic music yet, but it’s starting to show up in my playing on guitar and violin. Mostly working with BWV 1002

1 Like

This is an excellent book indeed.

Pauline Oliveros, Software for People and Deep Listening

Mick Goodrick, The Advancing Guitarist

There’s a new book you can see of facebook…
Don’t buy it except if you are really newbies or if you have money. it’s a very small things and just give an overall view of the music production process. on top of that I think it’s really pricey for what it is. (53 pages) there’s only one page by big subject, on one page let’s say a A4 (letter size) you have half pictures, half text… so yeah very disappointing when you know for the same price you can have gold at attack magazine store.

A really better investment would be the one from attack magazine with a lot of pages but it cover parts of the process better, with more details, hints from pro etc…

THIS ONE (312 pages way better) >>>>>

7 Likes

“The Artists Way” - Julia Cameron

3 Likes
2 Likes

Wasn’t sure when I bought it, but I really like this book. It’s like a kick in the pants from a friend you respect every time you need one.

My piano teacher would often hit me with a copy of Chopin’s Etuden, which I never really mastered, but it did make me want to practice the Bass more, which led to being a pretty damn good bass player!

1 Like

For guitar and music in general I can
recommend Ted Greene´s books:

Chord Chemistry
Modern Chord Progressions

To be honest these books get to a level
I´ll never reach in my lifetime.
but the “beginner” sections are super tight and precise
and the chord progressions are a real
treasure.
Many of them are unplayable for me, but
from time to time when I´ve got no inspiration
I pick out some randomly and try out things.
You can find hundreds of hits from several centuries
in this book just given a few chord voicings.
That´s really impressive.

edit: if you are a lawyer and sue people for copying tracks, find a guy who knows all that chord progressions
and then sue the whole world !

1 Like

I definitely loved Secrets of Dance Music Production.

Learned a ton of basics and intermediate production things from it.

2 Likes

Not ableton specific, three sections focused on starting, continuing, and finishing works.

Very pragmatic, not recipes about the DAW.

Ebook is or was free for most of last year, hardcover is really nice quality as well

6 Likes

When I first started learning synthesis I read How to Make a Noise Analog Synthesis by Simon Cann. He has a few books on sound design using different synthesis types. There are of course tons of video’s that cover synthesis basics, one I found educational and amusing was done in the 80’s by Frank Zappa’s brother. Pretty sure you can still find it on youtube.

I found this music theory book well done. It also has some classes that you can do to teach yourself.

https://edly.com/theory-book/

1 Like

I need to read this. I’ve owned the ebook and hardcover for a while now and have overlooked them in my reading queue. And I could really use some creative strategies right about now after a year in my apartment…

I would like to suggest 2 books that everyone that compose electronic music should read:

• Roads, Curtis (2015). Composing Electronic Music. Oxford University Press.
  • Roads, Curtis (2001). Microsound Cambridge: MIT Press
    :nerd_face:
5 Likes

I’m rereading Composing Electronic Music currently. It’s an excellent book.

4 Likes