Board games recommendations

Nice. My girlfriend bought wingspan for me as I’m a bird nut.

3 Likes

If I’m interpreting this correctly, there are literally tens of thousands of community projects in the Workshop.

The amazing thing to me is that the thing actually works. Learn a few UI conventions and keystrokes, and in no time you’re moving pieces and manipulating cards like a pro.

Now I want to break out my HTC Vive rig to see how it looks in VR.

1 Like

I don’t play many board games but Splendor gets a run out every so often…

1 Like

It’s especially cool considering when it was first released, a lot of the reviews talked about how fun it was to just throw stuff and flip the chess board if you loose. Wonder if any of them imagined the scope of what it is today, happening, as I don’t recall any of them imaginig what it could be.

1 Like

Do we need an Elektronauts bird thread??

1 Like

Previously…

2 Likes

Cool topic! games that we have been enjoying lately:

1. Inis
  2. Azul
  3. Dominion
  4. Wingspan
  5. Jaws of the Lion
3 Likes

Man I still havent played Inis! Been on my list for ages. Still worth getting?

Azul- got it, great little game.
Dominion- never played it.
Wingspan- got it, sometimes like it, sometimes dont.
Jaws of the lion- not interested, gloomhaven just wasnt for me.

1 Like

Inis!

Some of my top games:

• Innovation
  • Omen: Reign of War
  • Brass: Birmingham
  • Air, Land, Sea
  • Bus
  • Res Arcana
  • Castles of Burgundy

Also, Carnegie seems great, had a few plays on Board Game Arena, and am a backer on KS.

3 Likes

Inis is absolutely worth getting. Perfect mix of strategy, variation , backstabbing and theme for me.

1 Like

Inis is amazing, also I dropped by here after not being around and what do I find but this amazing board game nerd thread my collection is over 100 games…whee

3 Likes

Based on recommendations from here and all over the net, I picked up Arkham Horror - The Card Game yesterday. I wanted something for solo play, since Jaws Of The Lion is tied up with group play at the moment. Seems a bit pricey for some cards and punch-out token sheets, also considering I picked up JOTL for a similar price, but if it’s fun, I won’t complain. Concerned though that the expansions are a bit of an expensive rabbit hole if this turns out to be at all addictive.

I also have one of those retro “Choose Your Own Adventure” card games, but that was more of a nostalgia buy. Based on those old books for kids, turned into a more in-depth card-based adventure.

Arkham was a bit of an impulse buy because yesterday I discovered a local games and comic store the size of a warehouse and VERY well stocked, with entire walls and significant floor space devoted to tabletop and RPG gaming.

sethsventura.com

This place could be dangerous to my wallet, as it is only a few miles from my house.

1 Like

Help! Arkham Horror: The Card Game is too good and too addictive. Turns out it’s amazing for solo play. The designers managed to pack a full RPG experience into … cards, and if you’re into Lovecraft stuff at all, it fires on all cylinders with the settings, characters and the stories.

Less than 3 weeks in and I’ve already broken down and purchased two deluxe expansions, including all of the associated mythos packs. It’s kind of like dark, participatory episodic crack.

Like I said … help! :scream:

6 Likes

Historically the best kind of crack… might need to check this out.

1 Like

I started Gloomhaven on Steam, its actually a very good expierience, constant decision making, ressource managment, every move feels meaningfull, you have to pay close attention to your characters, enemys, status fx, just great.

Also a good way to learn it.

1 Like

Sleeping Gods. Get this game. It is brilliant.

Also been enjoying wingspan a lot more with the Australasia expansion.

Scythe with the Fenris expansion is great too.

2 Likes

I’ve been interested in Scythe for a while. Looked at the rules and thought, “Wow, this sounds complicated. I better watch a video.” So I watched a video, and thought, “Wow, this is somehow more complicated than I thought.” It seems like a cool premise, but it just seems like too much for me to keep track of.

There is a decent Scythe tutorial with the game on steam, and after you play a couple times, it’s really not bad.

1 Like

With the Scythe ios game, I can knock out a game against the ai in ten minutes. Mostly because the digital game does all the housekeeping for you. With a human opponent, much longer, and more component juggling. But the game is the same.

Its a great game. Not that complicated once you get the hang of it.

1 Like

Risk and Monopoly are my all time favorite board games.