Blokas Midihub

For the price, and extra functionality, the retro kits RK006 is both a hub and a host. It doesn’t have the great programming possibilities as the MidiHub. I have both. Different applications.

1 Like

Doesn’t matter if you use midi hub or not, it’s limitation is not depending on ownership or experience. You asked for advice to add those missing functions, which I gave in the form of the mioXM. There are of course other boxes with similar features that can be added to the MIDIHUB

No i wanted to know what other Midihub users thought, that was my question. Thank you though.

I’m thinking of potentially selling my iConnectivity mio10 and buying a second one of these but I wonder what would the best way to utilise two at the same time? how would one go about having the two connected through USB or something?

My mio10 might be leaving too but I want a way to plug usb in which this is severely lacking. If it had a usb host it would be a perfect device

Yeah I’m trying to figure out what the best solution for this is, they mention routing usb midi to it through a PC or raspberry pi, I don’t use either for my music but suggests that there is a possibility for it though, I wonder if there’s any other solutions that I’m unable to think of due to not really knowing much in this area.

A smaller mio could work

With two Midihubs — do you need two way communication, or would you be able to run all control into one MH and use DIN MIDI to connect across to the second with one way communication ?

I think you need to diagram out some options and think of how you would specifically use this, i mean what data do your synths get and from where. There will also be some consideration given how you would put MIDI data into a form to be communicated between MHs. I mean you can pack data down into separate channels of one DIN MIDI connector and then split them up to separate DIN MIDI connectors on the other side, as a for instance.

If you decide to have two way communication between the MHs that gets more complex and then some USB host connector may be useful in this. Perhaps even a USB host connector with some active processing might find a use.

2 Likes

I’m not sure, I like experimenting with somewhat complex midi systems / routings so the more possibilities the better, It’s mainly a concern of being able to use all my equipment with them. I currently use two midi outs and a usb midi out from my Pyramid and use all 48 midi channels but I could probably find a way to make do with just 32 channels if need be and I’ll eventually get the Cirklon where I’ll no longer need the usb midi and that point it’d be problem solved anyway.

I’m liking the idea of using two midihubs instead of my MIO which is a great piece of a kit but a bit of a disappointment in regards to its midi processing capabilities. Will probably start looking to sell it and maybe order a second midihub soon.

1 Like

I think another question I’d be asking myself is how good will the “pipe” connection language (midi processing) be on an alternative like the Conductive Labs MRCC be ? That in theory might be a one box solution for what you seek to do, it depends on how good the “pipe” connections is on that device, I have my doubts about that, but am hopeful.

It seems to be much more limited in regards to creative midi processing though, I’m generally very impressed with Blokas as a company, they seem very committed to their product and taking it as far as they can which is a very big thing for me. I think I’m probably going to go ahead and order the second Blokas, sell the mio10 and deal with not having usb midi until I one day eventually get a Cirklon (who knows how long that’ll be though haha) One thing that’s very handy with the midihub is being able to quickly access the 8 different presets and I never actually use all my gear at once so I can just make different presets for the different approaches I have to making music.

Thanks for your help guys :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the provocative questions Petajaja. Sounds like you’ve been thinking this through. I agree with your feeling on the level of midi processing capability on the finally released MRCC, but let’s hope it surprises us both.

With some amusement i note that we have two posts here, one saying more or less get rid of your Midihub and buy a MIO, and you Petajaja considering selling your MIO and getting a second, MH. The difference being you own both, and the other poster has no experience with the MH. Likely the other poster is considering a different, less active midi processing use as well.

I have no experience with a MIO but I value your opinion on this Petajaja.

====================

While thinking about this, i wondered if the two guys with Cylvester have used two MHs together — their videos are so good, it would be good to see a video addressing this very topic. I wonder if the developers at Blokas had considered this as well, and what their reaction might be ?

ADDED: I see Blokas still has 45 MHs left in stock.

I’ve thought a bout it a fair bit but I also struggle to hold the full possibilities of something like this in my head and generally when I plot it out on paper, there’s always surprises when it comes to physically setting it all up so things always end up changing in the final moments but my gut says that this is the way to go and I’ve generally had good experiences listening to it! :sweat_smile:

The creative aspects of the midihub get me very excited, look forward to playing with those lfo’s… I generally find non tempo sync’d LFO’s more interesting as they allow you to play with irrational numbers and such. Same again for the clock possibilities, I’ll probably actually start using the native sequencers of some of my gear now that I can get so much complexity from them just from my midi router alone!

The mio10 is pretty great if routing and filtering is all you want but there’s not a great deal of creative possibilities (if any?) and the software for it wasn’t very inviting to use imo… I’m sure it’s still one of the best options out there but there’s nothing particularly exciting about it.

I haven’t actually watched the Cylvester videos yet, I’ll be sure to do so as I get ready to dive deep with the MH! Maybe Blokas can also consider some firmware options for linking two hubs together via usb somehow? A very different but kinda similar example is the designer of the Motas-6 who I speak a fair bit with, I’ve put in an order for a second one and we’ve been talking about possibilities that could be added to the firmware with using two as the same time in mind and there’s been some good ideas there so I’m sure Blokas could consider something similar.

Blokas had 46 until I just bought one now :laughing:

Cool to hear your thoughts in general on this Jukka, you seem like someone who’s also considered this a lot! I really love some of the ideas that’ve come up on the Blokas forum for feature suggestions but would be cool to get some chat going on ideas here as we have a ton of very talented - forward thinking people in this forum!

1 Like

Being that the Midihub is all about being a creative connection, the adventure is what you put around it, that it connects.

For instance, I’ve considered the possibility of putting CV to MIDI, and MIDI to CV stuff around it and using it in a Eurorack setting as well. Again as you say, all those controllable LFOs as well as the separate controllable clocks too !

2 Likes

Yeah I imagine a couple CV.OCD’s with it would be amazing for CV stuff!

I feel like there’s many more interesting pipes to come which’ll be very interesting too, they’ve spoken about how they intend to make some sort of cc to sysex pipe which would be very cool… I can’t even begin to imagine what that’s going to be like using together with my SY77… It’ll use up a lot of bandwidth I know that much!

I’m hoping for some sort of logic pipes too which again is an idea they’ve shown interest in, at that point these wont be far off being a somewhat decent sequencer just on their own!

1 Like

NRPN I/O !

ADDED: I’ve thought some about logic or conditionals, it could get complicated, but i bet Blokas finds a way to keep it managable.

This pic is over on “your setups,” but I wanted to talk about use case, and future intentions.

Right now, the MidiHub is just performing routing and filtering. The pedalboard (barely in the pic) has a Morningstar MC6MkII sending Midi to H9s on the board, and back to the pictured rig for the CBA pedals, and Octatrack.

I made a quick chart to keep my brain straight:

The send columns are a little irrelevant, as I’m only filtering what’s happening on the MidiHub outputs (the receive column). But, it helped me remember what’s controlling what.

The most important filtering case I have right now is to keep the OT from receiving note information unintentionally. In the past, sequencing the Minitaur meant that the OT was getting loopback information that was triggering the transport unintentionally. Why was it getting loopback? It was because of the FaderFox. The FaderFox both sends and receives midi from the OT so that it knows where parameters are so that it picks up rather than jumps (yes, CC64 is super useful, and assigned to a pushbutton.)

Future things:

• I’m setting up the FaderFox and MidiHub to do a CTRL-all scenario for the OT audio tracks. I love this feature on the DT, and there are enough banks on the FaderFox that assigning a bank of rotaries for my favorite CTRL-all features will be easy.

• Similar to CTRL-all - there are some multi-command scenarios I want to execute. For example - one push button on the FaderFox to arm a record trig for two buffers at once. Or, one press of my MC6MkII to arm a record trig on the OT, while capturing a Blooper Loop. There are several of these scenarios in my brain.

• LFOs. Yeah, OT has plenty of LFOs, BUT. Since I can map the FaderFox to some MidiHub features, I want some quick non-OT diving ways to trip out the ChaseBliss pedals, and my H9s on the floor.

6 Likes

Wow that’s impressive mr_bernard ! Have fun with that.

1 Like

If you are referring to my post it was merely answering what device to add to a MH. I never recommended anyone to get rid of it. You then stated you just wanted input from MH owners… since then i’v ordered a MH so i guess my input will be as “valid” as anyonelses…:slight_smile:

To clarify a few things mio 10 is a discontinued unit and the successor mioXL have far more features one of them being 32 preset slots that can be changed on the fly and clearly visible which one is active on the front.

It all depends what you want to do, for me it’s important to have everything connected so that i just have to choose a preset to change the routing setup. For that you need a lot of I/O and that is something the MH lacks.

For anyone having a hard time wrapping their head around MIDI routing i highly recommend using a visual aid to make it easy.

When i first wanted to know how to connect my setup in various combinations i made a chart plotting it out. This has changed quite a bit, but i use as template and update it when needed.

Nice! I was kind of on the fence about getting a Faderfox EC4 (seemed overkill mainly for providing more knobs for my AS-1), but since getting a Midihub I can just see the possibilities opening up before me. I’ll be buying one as soon as they come back into stock!

2 Likes