Blokas Midihub

Bloody shame. Manufacturers need to be called out on this!
You know who you are, you philistines.

3 Likes

There are 8 preset slots which you can populate with your most frequently used configurations and switch between them via the hardware button. That could mean a decent range of functionality without the need to connect to a computer (as often). A version with a screen and extra USB ports would be great but would likely have significant cost implications!

4 Likes

Does anyone know if the Blokas can be configured to 2 in 6 out MIDI?
Or are the 4 in, 4 out always 4 in & 4 out?
I wanted to merge 2 ins and then send to 6 outs.

It is always 4 ins et 4 outs, you canā€™t change that.

2 Likes

New (beta) firmware is out:

1.13.0 Editor Changelog:

• Midihubā€™s ports can now be named in Preset and Device submenus.
  • Midihubā€™s port names can be imported and merged from .mhp files.
  • Show note integer value in tooltip of note properties.
  • Duplicate Pipeline With Mappings right click menu option added.
  • Fixed memory contents exporting.

1.13.0 Firmware Changelog:

• LFO One Shot mode added.
  • Transform pipe extended with Channel, Data Range properties.
  • Transform pipe now has ā€œā€œNote On & Offā€ā€ what/into parameters value, so a single Transform can be used to convert Note On and Note Off messages appropriately.
  • Transform pipe can now transform between more MIDI message types.
  • Fixed dropping of duplicate note off messages.
  • Fixed Sync Delay pipe when the Delay By argument is negative.
  • Sustain pipe implementation improved to keep notes that are still held playing when Sustain is turned off.
  • Arpeggiator Up and Down and Down and Up modes fixed to not repeat the first note of the sequence.
10 Likes

Finally! Not being able to do this drove me mad

2 Likes

do you use them together in one setup or are they used separately for separate things. Just wondering if thereā€™re any issues having so many USB-MIDI hubs

The Blokas is in a live rig setup. The RK kinda floats around my studio to marry with modular, DAW, and that live rig.

Hey Midihubbers, does the manufacturer publish anything substantive about the timing of the unit?

I currently use passive splitter and merger boxes in my live setup and Iā€™m wondering if Blokas publishes the in-to-out latency specs for their MH.

The MIDI Loopback latency is less than 1,5 ms.

4 Likes

cool, thank you for that!

1 Like

Has anyone tried live-recording microscale on elektron sequencers?
Elektron seqs do not record pitchbend, but I see a workaround:
Transform pipe could convert pitchbend data to midi cc values assigned to ā€˜tuneā€™ parameters - those can be p-locked and should be recorded fine.

Can anyone confirm? I would consider buying a midihub just for this.
(I use a monomachine/A4/AR)

1 Like

Donā€™t have access to my Midihub currently, but the Transform Pipe should do, what you want, doesnā€™t it?

1 Like

Yes, thatā€™s what I hope for.
It seems pretty basic but Iā€™m afraid I might be overseeing something, like a resolution, timing or other technical problem. Iā€™m not that familiar with midi technical details and the microscale feature has been implemented with pitchbend in mind after all.

I think I wouldnā€™t even know how to check if it is working :slight_smile:

I tried running the Midihub Editor and itā€™s a bit more work than I anticipated.
As I said before Iā€™m not familiar with Midi at all (except mapping CCā€™s on a controller). So Iā€™ve been reading a bit on CC Pitchbend MSB LSB etc.

So Pitchbend MSB should be around CC value 64 when close to note pitch and should go to CC value 0 when going to -1st and go to CC value 128 when going to +1st.
That is not how the Pitch CC works on the A4. A4 receives Pitch messages on CC MSB 16(0-127) CC LSB 48(0-127) and its LSB works that CC value 0 is note pitch, value 64 is +0.5st and value 127 is +0.99st while its MSB goes through octaves on a resolution of semi tone values.

So the way I was thinking about it is:

Have a MCR Scale pipe, depth set to 1 semitone.
Have a Transform pipe working with PitchBend MSB inside Range 64 to 127 sending its value on CC 48. Have a Rescale Pipe rescaling 64-127 to 0-127. [This converts the upper Pitchbend values to a Fine Tune message that goes from Note Pitch to +1st]
Have a Transform pipe working with Pitchbend MSB outside Range 64 to 127 sending value 63 on CC 16. [This sends a Tune message of -1st when the Pitchbend is working with lower Pitchbend values.]
Have a Transform pipe working with Pitchbend MSB outside Range 64 to 127 sending its value on CC 48. Have a Rescale pipe rescaling 0-63 to 0-127. [This converts the Lower Pitchbend values to a Fine Tune message that goes from -1st Note Pitch(assigned on previous step) to Note Pitch.]

I might be missing something - probably.
Iā€™m reconsidering this setup idea as I am very out of my comfort zone here, probably making errors, not confident at all that MidiKeyboard+Midihub+A4 would work for me as a way to approach and compose with Microtuning.

Can Blokas re-sync midi clock?

i.e receive midi clock from a parent sequencer (e.g. Octatrack) and re-sync a stopped child sequencer (e.g. Rytm)

1 Like

Pretty niche question but poised to pick up a Midihub and without detailed understanding of whatā€™s possible from reading about the various pipes - wondering if Iā€™d be able to emulate one of my favourite MIDI fx: FlexGroove FlexGroove | Ableton

To roughly describe this effect - it creates acceleration and deceleration of notes around the clock or even morphing between time signatures. Feeding it quarter notes (and larger) will ramp, create bursts, or sort of disperse and delay repetitions. Maybe could get there via Apreggiator and randomisation of sync delay and tempo divider pipes? I know itā€™s not all that likely that someone messes with both of these things but thought Iā€™d ask!

This is going to be tricky unless youā€™re willing (and midihub is able) to have a very large note buffer going in, and commensurate latency. I guess if your external sequencer can take in tempo information directly, that might work? Or you could play with clock skew with it synced to an external clock, but I think results there will depend on how well the sequencer deals with heavily nonlinear clocks.

2 Likes

Thanks for giving this some thought: appreciate it.

Think Iā€™m looking at Midihub to things a little outside itā€™s scope, as creative as it can be.
Iā€™ll sketch out how I could feasibly get to where I want to go with a specific set of pipelines, taking your suggestions too, and maybe ask Blokas for some input.