Blokas Midihub

Glad to hear it works for you! … or let’s say it DID work until you hit that limit. Maybe sell some gear? :grinning:

Seriously, though - I also thought there must be a simpler / more “pipe efficient” way, was just too lazy (as a DN-only user the limit wasn’t an issue for me).

2 Likes

not a bad solution!

I hope so! it’s 14 pipes per track, per instrument. RYTM has 12 tracks. that’s 168 pipes right there. the limit is 255.

I’ll likely NEVER need all of those in place at once. meaning that I’m using all twelve RYTM tracks, all eight OT tracks, all four DT tracks, and all six M:C tracks at once. but I can’t go through and customize the pipeline every time I’m working on a song. maybe I could use combinations of machines in various presets; but even then, it’s totally possible to run into a situation where I don’t have a preset for what I’m trying to do, and will need to build a pipeline in the middle of writing a song. NOPE.

1 Like

Thanks. sorry I meant to get back sooner but been busy.

I went for a Bome box in the end as I felt it had the most support and flexibility. I’ve managed to get it to do what I want in terms of sending multiple commands to do looping and overdubbing and I can see it being useful in terms of potentially more advanced use.

My only concern is it doesn’t seem to be able to power more than one controller and sometimes the launchpad loses connection - so I might need to use a powered hub.

Cheers

1 Like

Powered hubs are definitely your friend there. I’ve got two of the Startech industrial 10-port ones chained off of mine, plus an ESI 8x8 midi interface

I see. I’m hoping to use it live, so would like to keep things as compact as possible.
I have a couple of powered usb hubs but the power supplies are quite big.

This may be a stupid question but are there any usb hubs that can be usb powered from so I could power both the Bome box and usb hub from an Ikea Koppla?

Although I suppose with a powered one the Bome could power off it too…

There are USB-powered USB hubs, but they are unlikely to provide enough power if the Bome itself can’t power whatever you’re trying to run. Powering the Bome from the same powered hub that you use for devices should work — you’ll need both the power jack and the host port connected. I suggest the Startech because it’s got a reasonable port count, it’s pretty indestructible, it delivers a lot of power to attached devices that need it, and, most importantly, it’s very quiet electrically. Not absolutely no noise if you’ve got something really sensitive plugged in — my Micromonsta2 still needs a USB isolator — but much better than it could be. If you don’t need to plug in nine devices, I think they may make some smaller hubs to a similar spec, but especially for live use, I’d get something of that grade.

Thanks - I’m only using usb midi controllers to control octatrack via midi… Would the noisy power have any impact over midi cable?

Those startech industrial ones look pretty pricey. I might go with something cheaper for now and upgrade if things ever get serious.

Regarding usb powered - there are usb-c powered ones - I wondered if they might provide more power than normal usb.

This thread popping back up again reminded me that I’ve not really used my Midihub as much as I’d have liked to. Once thing I had been struggling with was trying to use it as a generative seequencer but when I look at the various pipes there aren’t any that seem obvious for generating notes. I probably should play about with it some more but thought I’d ask here to see if anyone has had any joy with that?

Did you see the Loopop video on this?

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s got some really good ideas but you need to first generate a midi note to start them all. Sure, I could connect a midi keyboard or one of my Elektron’s but I was just thinking it might be fun if it could generated all within the Midihub. I’ve got some spare time over the weekend so I’ll play about and see what I can come up with.

1 Like

Depends on the devices. Pretty much “try it and see” territory. And yeah, you get what you pay for. If you can find a hub that uses USB C for power and has a separate data connector, that might work, but I’ve never seen that.

Edited to add — if you only need to hook up one controller, you could just get a power splitter cable for it, and then you could hook it and the Bome both up to an external power supply like that one. Could do that in conjunction with a little bus-powered hub if you’ve got a couple other low-power devices in the mix.

Why not some combination of LFOs transformed from CC to notes to generate the initial bits, and include repeaters, arps, delays, clock, random, and the rest to create the patch?

3 Likes

Looks like a new firmware and new editor is out for the Mididhub. Partuicularly interesting is that the editor now includes a MIDI monitor showing all the data being processed in a pipe; a really handy update I think!

3 Likes

Use CHEERSTOMIDIHUB code for 14% off for Midihub during checkout! :partying_face: Birthday sale ends in: 02d 19h 29m 23s :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Interesting - anyone using one of these?

The annoying problem with the Blokas is that you can only configure it via USB with it attached to a computer — it’s pretty useless if you’re not using it with a laptop, at which point you could be doing everything it does in software, unless you only want it executing fixed actions via the Midi DIN channels. I know they’ve talked about performance issues, but it would be a lot more interesting if you could run the editor via SysEx.

Yeah, it’s really interesting. A little quirky at first, took a couple tries to really understand the basics, but it’s super powerful if you’re creative with your patches.

I wouldn’t get it for basic routing, but for midi effects, it’s really awesome. Tons of generative stuff, probability, quantizing and scaling, etc.

I don’t find that to be true at all. Obviously you need to set up patches on a computer first, but once that’s done you have quick access to any 8 patches right from the device without USB, and you can set midi cc controls to control any patch parameters. Again, no computer needed once you set it up.

5 Likes

I love mine. Built like a tank, the editor’s great, the little LEDs are useful for being able to see what’s happening at a glance. I’ve never used it for live, but with the presets I can see it would be really handy if you had a more complex MIDI setup for your live set.

I set mine up with a laptop, and haven’t plugged it back into the laptop in over a year. Unless you’re changing configurations beyond the patches you’ve already configured, you don’t need a laptop connected to use it in a rig.

Edit… I’m asking myself if I should snag another. It’s been insanely useful for me.

5 Likes