Blokas Midihub

Don’t have access to my Midihub currently, but the Transform Pipe should do, what you want, doesn’t it?

1 Like

Yes, that’s what I hope for.
It seems pretty basic but I’m afraid I might be overseeing something, like a resolution, timing or other technical problem. I’m not that familiar with midi technical details and the microscale feature has been implemented with pitchbend in mind after all.

I think I wouldn’t even know how to check if it is working :slight_smile:

I tried running the Midihub Editor and it’s a bit more work than I anticipated.
As I said before I’m not familiar with Midi at all (except mapping CC’s on a controller). So I’ve been reading a bit on CC Pitchbend MSB LSB etc.

So Pitchbend MSB should be around CC value 64 when close to note pitch and should go to CC value 0 when going to -1st and go to CC value 128 when going to +1st.
That is not how the Pitch CC works on the A4. A4 receives Pitch messages on CC MSB 16(0-127) CC LSB 48(0-127) and its LSB works that CC value 0 is note pitch, value 64 is +0.5st and value 127 is +0.99st while its MSB goes through octaves on a resolution of semi tone values.

So the way I was thinking about it is:

Have a MCR Scale pipe, depth set to 1 semitone.
Have a Transform pipe working with PitchBend MSB inside Range 64 to 127 sending its value on CC 48. Have a Rescale Pipe rescaling 64-127 to 0-127. [This converts the upper Pitchbend values to a Fine Tune message that goes from Note Pitch to +1st]
Have a Transform pipe working with Pitchbend MSB outside Range 64 to 127 sending value 63 on CC 16. [This sends a Tune message of -1st when the Pitchbend is working with lower Pitchbend values.]
Have a Transform pipe working with Pitchbend MSB outside Range 64 to 127 sending its value on CC 48. Have a Rescale pipe rescaling 0-63 to 0-127. [This converts the Lower Pitchbend values to a Fine Tune message that goes from -1st Note Pitch(assigned on previous step) to Note Pitch.]

I might be missing something - probably.
I’m reconsidering this setup idea as I am very out of my comfort zone here, probably making errors, not confident at all that MidiKeyboard+Midihub+A4 would work for me as a way to approach and compose with Microtuning.

Can Blokas re-sync midi clock?

i.e receive midi clock from a parent sequencer (e.g. Octatrack) and re-sync a stopped child sequencer (e.g. Rytm)

1 Like

Pretty niche question but poised to pick up a Midihub and without detailed understanding of what’s possible from reading about the various pipes - wondering if I’d be able to emulate one of my favourite MIDI fx: FlexGroove FlexGroove | Ableton

To roughly describe this effect - it creates acceleration and deceleration of notes around the clock or even morphing between time signatures. Feeding it quarter notes (and larger) will ramp, create bursts, or sort of disperse and delay repetitions. Maybe could get there via Apreggiator and randomisation of sync delay and tempo divider pipes? I know it’s not all that likely that someone messes with both of these things but thought I’d ask!

This is going to be tricky unless you’re willing (and midihub is able) to have a very large note buffer going in, and commensurate latency. I guess if your external sequencer can take in tempo information directly, that might work? Or you could play with clock skew with it synced to an external clock, but I think results there will depend on how well the sequencer deals with heavily nonlinear clocks.

2 Likes

Thanks for giving this some thought: appreciate it.

Think I’m looking at Midihub to things a little outside it’s scope, as creative as it can be.
I’ll sketch out how I could feasibly get to where I want to go with a specific set of pipelines, taking your suggestions too, and maybe ask Blokas for some input.

from your description and a brief look at the FlexGroove page, this is asking the MIDIHub to do 4 or 5 things, at least. and i do believe the MIDIHub can do any of them to some degree or another (if i’m understanding correctly, but i’ve never used the FlexGroove). but doing them all together or within the same preset? that may be difficult…

likely relevant pipes on the MIDIHub: Sync Delay, Transform, Random, Limiter…probably others. i imagine a variety of combos of this can achieve most of the effects you’re looking for, but worth noting here that you’ve only got 8 slots for MIDIHub presets available on the device itself, and swapping between them i believe must be done manually if not via the computer Editor (i’m assuming this is the goal, because if you’re going to use a computer then why not just use FlexGroove?). manual preset changes may be awkward/bad in the middle of a song or set or whatever.

1 Like

The thing is: While Ableton can look in the future and play a note earlier, than it is programmed, anything that is listening to MIDI cannot do so. Don’t know, if FlexGroove is doing this, but you should have that in mind.

Hi Ross @yokermoon

This intrigued me so I just had to register & throw in a thought or two.
(Disclaimer, Midihub owner but don’t use Elektrons or Ableton)

Thx for link to FlexGroove; interesting effect!

Interesting to think how you’d do that with Midihub.
The starting point for me is @Uija Jens’ point; Ableton has access to all the note data - Midihub (mostly) responds to notes coming in.
So, to my mind you want a track of notes on a sequencer - where Midihub initially is a Clock controller.
My first line of attack would be:

1. A Clock pipe where the BPM is mapped so it can be varied real-time. This would control the tempo of your sequencer (unless of course it has a mappable tempo control itself). Now it gets a bit more complex(!):
  2. Personally, I’d want to do this smoothly so I’d control* the BPM with an LFO set to do a ‘One Shot’ triggered by, say, a separate played note
  3. By using Transforms and Rescales, I’d play around with varying the length/depth of the Tempo acceleration based on the note #/ velocity played.

If you’re still interested, I’d recommend sketching out your plan (what sequencers/ controllers you have at hand etc), signing on to the Midihub forum and asking Blokas’ Giedrius who is a real expert.

*this would involve a physical loopback (MIDI DIN out-in/ MIDI USB out-in), but that’s for a separate post!

I might just have to try this myself…

2 Likes

I did give this a go, both with a triggered LFO “One-Shot” (this just does a single cycle of the LFO and stops) and with a running LFO.

I made a scruffy little mp3 to show a ‘Saw Up’ running LFO with mapped Rate going into a Rescale with mapped Out Low & Out High. The LFO CC then controls the tempo of a simple Arp on a hardware synth.
Hence the Min and Max BPM and the time to get between them can be varied.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately ) as a new user, I can’t upload attachments! Maybe later*.

If anyone uses FlexGroove and can upload a MIDI file of the output (pref of a simple unswung input pattern), I’d be keen to take a look:
Midihub has got limited standard LFO curves and I suspect one would need to vary the rate with another LFO to get the curves like the almost ‘bouncing ball’ modulation I think I’m hearing in the demos. Seeing the MIDI output would let me work what sort of curves they’re using.

*PS. If anyone’s interested (@yokermoon?), gimme a shout and I’ll post it up on the Midihub forum where I can upload.

3 Likes

Love that this concept or device has resonated with you! Getting off the grid, pushing, pulling, acceleration etc is a current favourite in the toolkit and wondered if, even simplified considerably, Midihub could get somewhere approaching.

Thanks for taking the time to delve and test possible routes! I’m not in a position to buy the Midihub at this exact moment to bounce ideas back and forth with you but even getting somewhere in the ballpark would move this to ‘NEED’!

Let me analyse what you’ve laid out and will come back if I can think of any further ideas…sounds like you’re getting towards a fair amount of the basic functionality and that might be enough!

Sounds like you have Flexgroove. Dunno how it works but I presume one might have before-processing and after-processing sets of MIDI data.
If so (& if you do!), pre & post ‘.mid’ files would be really interesting to me. Please upload!

Re:

dunno if this is the case, but it’s likely that the little grey box will do stuff that will open horizons even if they’re not the ones originally anticipated…

I won’t be at my setup anytime soon but you’re onto something here.
I remember being baffled initially by the device’s functionality and only by following the included ‘lesson’ or manual did I realise that it needed a MIDI clip with notes of at least a quarter-note length to work with (although the output could be way more complex/faster if that makes sense).

Do you have Live and a Max license?

Naah, I only have Live 10 Lite (which I’ve never used & came free with something).
That’s why I want to see what the .mid output is for say a 90bpm straight 1/4-note input. Otherwise I’m left only with the option of analysing the transients in one of the audio files to find out what sort of non-linear timing is going on. Yecch

there’s a vast array of presets (and even ‘types’ of tempo modulation) so wouldn’t be a single cut and dry example but what I’ll do (when I get the time) is run the same file through a few presets and there’s a sort of visual/graphic that I can screenshot for each. It goes even further in that there’s essentially a timing tab and a velocity tab, each with distinct modulation patterns (though in trying to simplify the idea to possibly implement via Midihub, it is the timing portion I’m most interested in).

No worries. This is enough to get me started:

It shows the ‘tempo’ variation based on the first 50 note onsets or so of FlexGroove Demo 4.
It’s enough to show me that a reasonable simulation would be a Sine ‘rise’ to the faster tempos then a variable sine with a shorter tempo range thereafter.
I’ll give that a go when a get a few hours away from my current obsession.
( A while back I devised a phase-modulated LFO with Midihub to create modulations that sounded less repetitious than standard. That would give ‘peaks within peaks’ which could sound interesting)

3 Likes

Ok all of this is super cool. I am following with interest. My MIDIhub wont be here for a little bit.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve realised that this is going to exercise me; at least until I’ve got a ‘proof of concept’ knocked out!
After posting up that graph (libreOffice chart) it occurred to me that I’m probably looking at something different to what I said at first glance (late at night, GMT).
On 2nd thoughts, this looks more like

1. A tempo ‘Ramp’ up to ‘fast’, then
  2. 1-3 beats at a fixed tempo before the tempo jumps to another level
    This 2nd phase now makes me think of using using a Square wave LFO to set the tempo at a rate for a few beats rather ‘continuously’ changing it (as would be unavoidable with Sine Triangle or one of the Saws.)

There’s a few ways of going about this, I think, depending partly how much is going to sequenced and how much ‘played’.
My most recent Midihub projects have been more about facilitating live timbral manipulation rather than rhythmic or scale oriented. SO I think I’ll post up an intro to the Midihub forum to see whether any of the sequencer folk there have already played with this or wanna throw in a thought or two.

PS. For those who might get Midihub or are awaiting arrival, I wouldn’t recommend owt like this as first project! It’s more that Midihub is so neatly built around simple but well thought-out building blocks that it lends itself to those tempting “I wonder how you’d…” kinda rabbit-holes. Be warned!

3 Likes