Blokas Midihub

Kinda tempted by this, seems like a useful utility device to have around. At some point I want to tackle hooking up as much of my gear as possible to the computer with a single clock source, and this seems like it could be quite handy, though I’ve not thougth about exactly how I’d use it.

Is it possible with this to take clock from one input and send it to all the outputs, mixed with other MIDI data coming either from inputs or USB? I can do this with my iConnectAudio (but the interface to do so is hell!)

I’m selling mine, I used literally once.

1 Like

Just ordered one! Hoping i can use this to fix a firmware error on my Roland A50 keyboard.

I tried looking at the transform function in the editor. But not sure if i can do what i want. I want to transpose the poly aftertouch data 3 octaves. Anybody know how this could be done?

Best thing is to ask in the Blokas’ forum. Giedrius, the forum moderator, is very helpful.

Yes.

I have my 4 main devices connected to it and have different presets where one is the master clock that controls the rest. they’re all saved as presets to the onboard preset slots, so I can cycle through them with just the button.

I will say the learning curve is real, it takes a minute to figure out how it works and does things, but it’s definitely a useful utility and can offer some creative options.

1 Like

Ok, here’s what’s going on!

Extendable 16-step MIDI CC sequencer
Every time a note is triggered on this MIDI channel, also send a CC with value equal to one of 16 unique steps. You can alternatively replace the note with the CC, and customise each step with additional MIDI filters.

Use case
Use CC#17 to change STRT on the OT in order to step through a sequence of slices that is disconnected from the main sequencer.

With the way the pipes are set up, unfortunately you cannot change the CC or MIDI channel outside of the software editor, which is really what I wanted.

7 more rescale pipes later

RED: Here is where you select the MIDI channel for your sequencer.
GREEN: Here is where your CC is set.
BLUE: Here you can scale the output range of the CC (mappable)

The transform pipe at the top is where you can switch behaviour from replace to insert after. With parameters like STRT on OT it is more stable to change your parameters ahead of the next trig than try and alter the current one (insert before vs insert after).

The default sequence is 16 equally spaced values; the values are mappable by using both the Out Low and Out High parameters of each rescale pipe. The first value in this patch has no rescale pipe as it is already set to 0. You can write them in by hand but it’s not a huge amount of fun.

Thanks for reading! Please alter, experiment, and improve!

hub_sequence_simple.mhp (994 Bytes)

3 Likes

Hmm this seems promising to fix an issue i m having: control 12 AR + 6 M:C track levels from my BCR2000. That s 18 midi channels, where only 16 are possible.

May I assume I could use a Midihub to remap a given CC to another CC & channel? And block other CC ‘s from being forwarded to an output?

I could do all this in max/msp but that means i d have to use a computer at all times.

Yeah, easy. Transform pipe to change CC, channel remap to change channel. CC range filter to block CCs. You should go download the editor from here and play around with it to see what’s possible, you don’t have to sign up or anything.

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I do. 12 channels synths, 8ch OctTrack and 12 channels Rytm controlled,from only 16 channels and a MidiHub.

2 Likes

Cool. Sounds really nice. Also being able to add a midi keyboard, arpeggio’s and parameter feedback wizardry to the BCR2000 are nice prospects.

Hi Midihubers, is it possible to send MIDI Channel 5 to the Midihub IN A and make it come out (Midihub OUT A) as MIDI Channel 10? If so, how would you program it?

Is this the function of CH REMAP?

Thank you.

Yup, one of those with the in low/high set to 5 and the out low/high set to 10.

3 Likes

Beat me to it! I was just mocking this up…

Great little device!

1 Like

Thanks @vegeta897! That’s what I have but you confirmed me that both In Low/High and both Out Low/High must be on the same Channel.

This will solve the problem that I have with my Cobalt8 who transmits and receives on the same Channel. I want the Keyboard to transmit (MIDI OUT) on Channel 10 (Digitakt Auto Channel) and the synth to receive (MIDI IN) on Channel 5.

Do PB and MW will still pass through or do I have to program something else?

Edit : Thanks @mr_bernard

It should pass everything coming in on ch 5

1 Like

I’m having problems upgrading the Midihub FW. It’s unable to connect the Midihub to the Editor. Anyone?

I have updated the Editor to 1.11.7 and now it’s telling me that the Midihub needs to be updated to work with this version. I’m following all the steps but no luck. I’ll try rebooting.

Edit : It’s all good now. I’ve used my Mac to update.

curious: could this be used to translate note data to CC’s? what I’d like to do is get note data from the Cirklon, and translate that to a CC value to mute tracks in the RYTM. so C1 => CC 94, value 0 (unmute track 1), then D1 => CC94, value 1 (mute track 1), etc… these would map from one channel to many as well (one channel per RYTM track).

I tried MidiPipe and it’s halfway there but the documentation is non-existent, so I can’t get over the finish line with it.

Yes, the Transform pipe allows you to convert between several different MIDI message types including note on and CC, and lets you decide which CC # and value to transform into. You would just have to combine it with a note range filter to isolate each note that you want to transform into a CC.

1 Like

yeah, seems pretty straightforward but I thought my MidiPipe patches were too!

so something like this, for each on/off note?

here’s for C1 to be the only note allowed through…

and then be translated to CC94 with value 0…

and then the other pipe is for the corresponding un-mute (CC94 with value 1 from note D1). I’d need to translate from one midi channel to the corresponding one for both still… one thing I’m curious of: the first pipe that only allows C1 through, that wouldn’t exclude D1 then for the other pipe? meaning, are they processed in series or basically just a set of rules?

would love for someone to be able to test this for me, so I don’t plunk down for this toy for nothing! :rofl:

p.s. apologies if I’ve done anything dumb here, or asked dumb questions… very new to this thing!

You’ve got the right idea, just uncheck the “Drop in range” because with that enabled it will pass through everything except the specified note (opposite of what you want).

Changing the midi channel can be done with the Channel Remap, as you may have guessed.

Pipes are processed in parallel, not series. Rather, any time you create another “FROM A” it is a copy of the source MIDI, unaffected by other FROM A pipe lines.

3 Likes