Blofeld love

could you explain why?

I use the monstrumfeld editor and can say it drastically opens up the programming. You have it all on the screen in front of you, very well played out.

The options are the same, but I find it way easier to work with.

I use the bigglesworth Blofeld editor http://bigglesworth.it/, easy wavetable transfer and editing, top librarian. I suggest to get away from the ā€œget away from the computerā€ feeling, you can save a lot of time by using an editor. It is an alternative optional path to save time and expand creativity, or just manage/save your huge basket of presets in a much more useful and safe database without limits.

Screenshots and more info about the github dev version can be found here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1196591-blofeld-editor-librarian-2018-a-3.html

The modulation matrix (dev branch only) is a powerful, alternative way of viewing/editing modulations that reminds modular systems with patch cables. Unique and very well designed.

1 Like

I used it for some time but it seems that the development has been abandoned

Abandoned or not it is free, open source and functional for most parts exept the multi mixer and some minor bugs. I am using the dev version that includes the modulation matrix. In my opinion it is the best free, open source editor for blofeld, but obviously it is difficult for one person to maintain such an ambitious project. So it is still a good option for many blofeld users.

This is the monstrumfeld plugin. Itā€™s well layed out and you have direct access to the mod matrix and the sequencer.

Bad part is it costs 50 bucks. But after using it for years I can say it was money well spent.

1 Like

Blofeld is such a good synth, I miss mine and i really wish Waldorf would release a new one at a similar price in a similar format. I always found the UI to be great and it sounds amazing. Sadly itā€™s so old now that if I were to buy a wavetable synth in 2020 Iā€™d probably look at something like the Argon8

looks great, and so much better than Largo (the official VST version of Blofeld)!

Thanks for advising on editors but I am happy to use just the hardware, even though, I will have a look at it, thanks :slight_smile:
I am finding the user iterface really well organised, and easy to get quickly to the parameters I want to tweak. I am not rushing when making music and editing sounds, prefer enjoying the process and thinking before doing. I usually get distracted with many parameters in front of me, so really happy when menu diving. Happy sounding so far :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I reckon, if I were to use the hardware knobs for editing more, Iā€™d want to replace the slippery metal, with more easy to grip plastic/rubber. Anyone got recommendations for knob replacements?

I do mostly use Gofter for editing though.

The cleverest idea I saw about this was to just put small rubber bands on them so they are easier to grip. Another idea was to use rubber thimbles. Both seem easier and cheaper than replacing them

3 Likes

I donā€™t use an editor. You can access everything from the interface. After a while you donā€™t even think about it, navigating the blofeld becomes second nature.

3 Likes

All options are there, some users cannot agree with this, internal interface is very good indeed for what it can do for the number of knobs but limited to visualize the whole picture. But a better/full visual presentation, especially on the modulation page, is always better outside the internal OS. Preset/wavetable manager can also be very different. For deep sculpturing, an editor will save much time and ā€¦ prevent your knobs from falling apart. An editor will not replace the internal commands, it will just offer a better interface to use at the same time. A cheap used tablet could do the trick for those who do not like the big boxes. An external controller can also extend the life of the knobs.

During normal use, despite being a great thing in theory Iā€™ve always found software editors to be more of a burden. But especially for deep, complex devices like the A4 or the Blofeld, they helped me a great deal internalizing the structure of the synth. So in a way, using Overbridge and Bigglesworth for sound design for a while actually helped me become independent of them.

2 Likes

I put rubber bands on mine and it literally changed the synth for me from rarely used to total obsession for a while. Hard to imagine it can make such a difference but it was suddenly so much more useful.

3 Likes

Dear Blofies. Iā€™ve decided weeks ago to make a soundpack/library for the Waldorf Blofeld as Conforce. A complete bank based on the standard wavetables/waveforms with 128 patches. It took me a long time to appreciate this synth and find the right sweet spots. Where it shines is really for me the ambient, evolving, fx, percussion, pad and modulation side. I didnā€™t want approach this pack as classic wavetable patches but really work the sweet spots of the blofeldā€¦
Iā€™ve added a more extended description underneath the demo video. This library was programmed with a lot of love and dedication. Itā€™s perfect for ambient techno and what more that needs an atmospheric twist. I also added some tips based on user experience from my side. Iā€™ve turned it inside out now.

Iā€™ve made a big demo with the presets from this pack. Check it here.

All the best.
Boris

15 Likes

thanks for the tip, this seems great. i really need to get the blofeld off my shelf, maybe this will help me do that. i mainly bought it to use as a hardware chromatic sampler, but i still need to wrap my head around actually putting samples on the damn thing.

i just got an OT today and im excited to see how it pairs with the blofeld,

To upload patches (like the set linked by the OP here) see here: https://waldorfmusic.weclapp.com/webapp/view/helpdesk/portal/blofeld/faq_detail.page?faqId=238609

To upload samples, if you have the SL licence, this video helped me alot.

2 Likes

ah yes, i absolutely love this guy. i do have the sl licence, really need to rewatch these before i try and jump back in.

same here. what a struggle