Blofeld love

Experimentation is the only way to find the maximum polyphony.
For example, using 01WT/Smp on a wavetable with unison set to 3,
you might get 3 notes total for the entire synth.
also the amplitude release time has a big impact as well.

3 Likes

I use my blofeld mostly in multi mode. It works fine, but I have a hard time creating sounds. It seems, that I am not able to save changes to a sound while I am in Multi Mode, and I am not able to leave multimode without loosing changes to the sound.

Please help! :stuck_out_tongue: How do I store changes to a sound while in Multimode? Saving a MultiMode Programm is easy, but it only stores settings, and what Sound you selected, but not the changes to the sound. I donā€™t need to save multimode-programms, Digitakt and Digitone tell the blofeld what sound to select per channelā€¦

When you are in multimode edit, chose the slot you want to save and save as usual.

3 Likes

Ah, cool! My problem was, that I seem to be always in that context, where Shift-Utility will open the store multi dialog. When I am for example on the Filter Page and click Shift-Utility, I get Save Sound!

OMG, Thanks a lot!

If you the turn the main knob it goes through the Multi store pages and on to the (current) sound save pages.

Beware that youā€™re overwriting that program slot for all contexts - like any other multi that uses that sound. I tend to sacrifice storage slots just so thereā€™s no sharing between multis.

2 Likes

Yeah, you can clearly see, that Waldorf added the multimode on top of a finished concept. It would make way more sense, to store the complete sound as part of the multimode. So you can have one multimode per song you use the blofeld in, and am good to go. I also donā€™t like the idea, that you have to sacrifice existing programs from the start. As I often use existing patches for learing the synth or as a start for what I end up using, so removing them hurts :stuck_out_tongue:
But at the end. You get a nice sounding multitimbral synth for an in my opinion great price!

Yeah but Waldorf put in a LOT of slots. Bank A = favourite starting patches and donā€™t overwrite. I have another bank for similarly ā€˜protectedā€™ percussion. The rest are there for the multis.

2 Likes

I agree that it would be nice if multiā€™s store the patch data (so that you do not have to worry about breaking a multi by changing the patches it references). However Waldorf is hardly the first to set multimode memory up this way. From the beginning of multi-timbral synths, I recall it being very common that multiā€™s only pointed to patches and did not store the actual patch data. Memory was just too expensive to store it twice. Only recently did synths start to store the actual patch data. Even now (when memory is cheap) there are synths that do it the ā€œoldā€ way.

Given the large memory of the Blofeld (both by todayā€™s standards and the standards of when it was released) I somewhat think it was a purposeful choice - part ā€œold schoolā€ thinking on the engineers and partā€¦ who knowsā€¦ - for some people it drives them crazy to not have the mult store the exact patch. But I think others are used to it from many years of synths working this way. As for me? Iā€™m in the middle. I use the Blofeld as a multi-timbral synth all the time and am fine. Iā€™d improve all sorts of things if I could but it still meets my needs (and gets used way more than I thought it would).

1 Like

I agree, and I still think, that multitimbral wasnā€™t in their mind when they started the blofeld. To do something different after so many years isnā€™t that easy to. I (having a software engineering background myself) can still remember, that it was hard to adapt. Even today I think about memory and performance way more often, than it is needed, because back in the day, every CPU circle mattered and every byte of ram was important.
I love the blofeld. Wanted to have it since I first played around with it at a friends house, and now, nearly 10 years later, I finally pulled the trigger and am currently nearly forgetting my other soundsources over itā€¦

2 Likes

Waldorf may work from a main code base that extends back in time a ways. I donā€™t have a microwave, but a quick glance at the manual (combined manual for MW II, XT, XTK) shows that it has multi mode. The Q and MicroQ also have multi mode. MicroQ multi mode is quite similar to blofeld.

I think when they were creating the blofeld it was their first real product coming out of bankruptcy and they drew on their previous productsā€™ functionality and structure heavily.

On the micro Q the multi mode was easier accessible

just found this one, for those interested :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Good tool :grinning: It is convenient to be able to import user wavetables without converting them to syx files.

User Wavetable created by WaveEdit can be imported.

3 Likes

so after buying the peak, I pretty much neglected my blofeld. after buying a new balanced patchbay to replace the old one, I tested all my hardware after installing. I played the last patch I created on the blofeld and was like ā€œdamn, that sounds goodā€

newly found love again! for techno/house, the blofeld is a monster! <3

I have mentioned it before, thought Id post a link to it. the vst editor I have been using for some years.

https://www.monstrummedia.com/product/feld/

49 good spent bucks

My Blofeld just getting love on very rare occasions. Itā€™s sitting on the top of my cupboardā€¦ dusted
I also was thinking about selling itā€¦

Sold mine after a few years. Kept erasing patches i madeā€¦ stupid user fault, but i gotta say; iā€™ve seen more userfriendly interfaces in my life. Sounds cool tho!

I just got one last Monday, really impressed with its sounds design capabilities and sound palette.
I already started to sculpt my own sounds, and editing the parameters are pretty straight forward. Canā€™t wait to keep pushing its boundaries :slight_smile:

1 Like

Get an editor, this will expand your options

I am trying to get away from the computer for sound making so not an option for now unless it is extremely necessary, and so far, no needed.
Will see how it goes with the time and thanks for advising :slight_smile: