Blofeld love

Sadly no. AFAIK sample management takes the SPECTRE utility.

I think its clunky and sounds compressed and aliasy…but im glad i have it. Drums do sound cool. I have multisampled my moog sub 37 oscillators and have a prettend poly moog patch or two that i really like. You can also use the sample as a mod source. Sample a guitar string pluck and use that to modulate synth parameters!!! Its not just a shit sampler it can be great in ways you dont expect and does open the blofeld up sonicly to new territory.

Just checked it out, you’re 100% right. Really great sounds. Every Blofeld owner should pick this up!

1 Like

Any tips on which format it wants new wavetables in? How many waves, 127?

Thanks! And upload as SysEx?

Hello Elektronauts! I am in despate need of your help! I got the dreaded “bad dsp response” message today and my blofeld refuses to work… I read about how to fix it by transmitting the rescue midi file via spectre, the problem is i do not have a usb-to-midi cable and also do not have a sound card at the moment. What i do have is a digitone, which can act supposedly as a sound card. The problem is that i cannot transmit this file. I use the usb cable as an input from the pc to the digitone and then i send it out via midi cable to blofeld. (i can send midi notes with this method from ableton-f.e to blofeld) But when it comes to this rescue.mid file and spectre it doesnt seem to send anything at all… Is this a midi channel issue (does spectre transmit in muliple channels at once)? (i tried many individual channels with no result) Has anyone tried to do this with an elektron machine? i also tried to “play” the file with reaper as suggested but to no avail (is there a specific tempo the file should be played for the blofeld to understand?) Please help!!!

Get that usb to midi cable and save yourself some trouble… My 2c

I really hoped to avoid that, because i have to order it and it will probably arive in more than
a week.

You should be able to transmit midi via a normal usb cable?

Actually no, because when blofeld is in “send data” mode the blofeld usb port is inactive

Another, but more expensive option, is an iconnectivity MIDI 4+…

Beware of the cheapest USB to DIN MIDI cables. Some of them cannot be used to send larger sysex blocks reliable due to too small built-in buffers.

3 Likes

thank you i will keep that in mind if everything else fails

Dont own a DN, but if its like the DT then make sure you have the Blofeld plugged into the MIDI thru B of the DN maybe and not the out??. And in the midi settings of the DN check all settings that alow cc and program changes etc in the midi sync section if the midi config.
In the port configuration make sure the thru port is set to midi and input is from usb. See if that makes a difference.

For the record, I had the Blofeld, had a honeymoon phase, but we drifted away. Both sound and UI left me unimpressed in the end.

just released a new m4l editor for Blofeld
i’m really in love with it as well, the only con is the submenus editing system, that is solved with this editor :wink:

get it here: https://gumroad.com/l/BlofeldCTRL

7 Likes

Looking closer at the layout it’s a really nice design.

Would love it on iOS.

2 Likes

So, in this year of 2019 (almost 2020!) and the Blofeld is almost 13 years old. There is a Blokeys available quite near me for a really good price (about the price of a new module), which I’m considering. I currently have a Bass Station II which is fine for bass and leads, but obviously not suited for pads etc! In the near future I’m planning to get a Digitone (and eventually a Digitakt), I’m also considering the Deepmind 12 or the Minilogue XD. I want to get more into pads, ambient, sound design kind of areas. Does the Blofeld still hold up 12 years later? I’d guess so from this thread!

it definately holds up. it is different than the other synths you mentioned.

what I would consider is maybe waiting some and instead buy a hydrasynth. would cost more, but to me seems like a better choice.

I have a blofeld at the moment, but am thinking of exchanging it for the hydra

1 Like