Blofeld love


@avantronica If you could post again after you upgrade and let us know how it goes I would appreciate it.


Actually, I have had mine since shortly after they came out. So it definitely has the older hw. But I upgraded to 1.23 when the incremental upload was implemented. Good to know you have stayed on 1.23 as well. It is really hard to keep track of what the safe path is with their firmware versions.


Great band name.


I just bought Blofeld #6 (Actually my old #5 Blofeld which was still available for sale at the shop I traded it to.)

Anyway I finally got around to making a CC chart for it to make it easier to sequence parameters with my Deluge, so if anyone’s using their Blofeld with OT / DT / etc, you may enjoy having this.

Waldorf Blofeld CC Cheat Sheet - Cheat Sheet.pdf (55.1 KB)


I get this error too. Editing any patch not just init…it is Midi related as if i unplug the midi cable and then edit its fine. You cant hear it though…But with midi cable in i almost expect it and save after each adjustment…

I kinda gave up on waldorf support though…

What OS are you on?


I’m on OS 1.25 with SL license activated.

I always have MIDI connected because it’s a desktop unit- it would be kind of useless without MIDI! Out of interest, does this happen for you on all MIDI controllers you use? I’ve only used OT.

I got a quick response from Waldorf. I sent them the description of the problem and they said the hardware is faulty and to return it to the retailer. Luckily it is under warranty. I’ll take it in later this week and see if the new unit is any better.


Bad news for me as mine was purchased new in 2008! im guessing warranty is a no go…

Yes it happens when plugged in via MIDI din to multiple controllers and also plugged in via usb…

Im desktop as well so yeh editing is like guesing without a midi cable plugged in…or i make edits and save after every change and expect to reboot multiple times during an edit…i have controlled mine with DT with no problems but im wondering now if i should try contacting waldorf again…

I put up with dodge encoders and was going to replace them until they sent a beta os update that fixed it for me so it might be worth a try.


I took my Blofeld back to the store, and of course- entirely predictably- could not replicate the fault!
Do you happen to know if a particular menu page or parameter change would reliably cause the fault? It seemed to me to be random but if you remember anything specific, that could be incredibly helpful- thanks!


Its often with the amp and or filter env page that it happens…but can also happen scrolling user samples or wavetables… and im always in multi set up…

God…good luck…


You may also need something to be feeding it midi…and maybe video it on your phone if you can replicate it at home…


since I’m bound for this week to my bed because of a terrible cold i decided to plugin my Blofeld and creating some patches. So far so good…

this synth is now more than a decade old … it sounds really good but i think it could probably benefit from an updated version in terms of sound-clarity and definition…

i guess Waldorf’s new flagship is in this territory but not in range of my empty pockets

i’m wondering if the Quantum will have an offspring


Blofeld #6! Wow!
All I have is 4! lol.


If you own them concurrently, then you have me beat. I’ve never had more than one at a time.



Yep, I have 4. 3 keybeds and 1 module.


Even after 5 years, there are things I have yet to explore in detail on the Blofeld!

Experiments with keytrack and 01WT/Smp come to mind,
or unisono v to 01WT/Smp as well.


I’ve never been a keyboard player, relying more on sequencers. But since getting to know the Blofeld desktop I’m thinking a keyboard with at least 49-61 keys would be fun.

Any opinions on whether it’s better to upgrade to the Keyboard version of the Blofeld, or get a decent standalone MIDI keyboard? Thanks.




With a dedicated controller you’ll get more choice and perhaps encoders/sliders/pads etc - or even a nice sequencer with a small colour matched keystep which is a nice compromise

But the keybed of the Waldorf is supposed to be good and for me the key things to tick in the plus boxes are that the Keys version has the Sample play upgrade as standard (if you don’t have that) and most usefully if you use e.g. an Octatrack with it that the Keys version has a physical DIN out, so the connections work bi-directionally - changes to the Filter on one device will be reflected on the other if you have CC direct connect enabled - without this you’d need to have either a usb host for the desktop Blofeld or forego the updating (and direct real-time parameter locking from the waldorf interface) - It’s a small thing that makes a difference depending on how you like to interact

The waldorf has aftertouch, but it won’t be as flexible midi wise as most dedicated controllers, not an easy one to answer


Thanks @avantronica
I do already have the SL licence, when I bought it I never imagined being in the market for a keyboard.
I have been sequencing with the OT, so that’s a good point re: MIDI in/out. I think the USB host I have only works when connected to a PC but I’ll double check that.


I used a blofeld with an akai controller for a while, and it was really nice having a few extra parameters mapped out and available on the akai’s controls. And it was a lot cheaper than the $500 difference between the blofeld desktop and keyboard.