Blofeld love

Yes I just performed a „downgrade“. Basically like a normal update but with the file of 1.22. I first had a panic because of the Waldorf statement that you should do only updates and no downgrades. But I guess this statement was done to avoid people sending back units for repair, with bugs that are actually fixed In newer versions. Or maybe the newer units need this update to work properly. The update to 1.24 is only necessary if it’s one of the newer units!
Only reason i even did the update was because I had problems to import some of my new created wavetables. But this problem had nothing to do with the Blofeld, it was just a wrong setting in the Wavetable creator I used. Now everything works perfect again.
But if something works perfectly fine, then it’s sometimes better to avoid updates.
The machine drum is just awesome, I wish I could do that with my OT, but the 6-10 CCs usually are enough, since the Blofeld already is a master of Sound modulation. And there is always the alternative to use another midi track with the same channel to get even more CC controls and LFOs. But the soundlock/program change per step on the MD is absolutely mindblowing!

1 Like

Yep.

I checked again and it is true… neither the LFO nor the arp will sync to MIDI clock. . .
I guess for the price we can’t really complain … the arp can just be set to the same tempo as the project and then retriggered every bar or two to maintain sync… and the LFO can be set to retrigger and synced by ear …

maybe too much overlap here.

Overlap, between fm and va and wavetable?

Overlap between the general tone of these two synth.

1 Like

Could be, I am actually pretty curious how the digitone will end up sounding in real life.

I haven’t touch my Blofeld since I got the Digitone, but it’s normal because this is still the “honeymoon phase”. I get similar results in pads or drums. Will I keep both ? Can’t say now… Blofeld goes way beyond the Digitone as far as synthesis is concerned but of course just like any Elektron box, sequencer integration is the killer feature.

2 Likes

I’ve had the Blofeld for about a month now…starting to figure out how everything works under the hood. I need to start making some of my own sounds now. What’s the easiest way to clear out a bank of presets, so I don’t have to save over the default sounds? Is there a program to make managing all the presets easier? I guess I’m just curious what you guys do…

I’m just getting to around the same place you are. I’ve made some sounds, but only saved over existing ones, and loaded in the Analog Voltage sounds from Don Solaris because some of them are so good. I’m well versed in matrix editing from my years with Pulses, Micro-Qs, and even the Q/XT/XTk (even though they also have knobs). However, more and more I’ve been looking at some of the prominent patch editors.

The Mystery Island one https://www.mysteryislands-music.com/product/waldorf-blox-audiounit-vst-librarian-editor-plug/
looks really cool, as well as the Rekon Audio one. I’m leaning toward the bloX one though. I’d love to hear what else people are using for this though, as if there’s something free, or just plain better, I’d love to know.

As far as just wiping out the presets, I’m not sure, but I’m more or less ready to do that now as well.

I bought the Analog Voltage set too…just sounded too good to pass up. Haven’t put it on the Blofeld yet though because I don’t want to overwrite some sounds I might not want to lose! If anyone knows of a free editor that would be great…the thought of moving all the factory sounds I don’t like to one bank so I can overwrite it sounds simple, but doing all that through the menus will be a major PITA.

http://lady.rdsor.ro/~kotro/index.php?m=soft

2 Likes

http://www.monstrummedia.com/product/feld/

This is another one, it’s quite good but without a multimode-editor which is a drawback. But it is also standalone, something I prefer.

I have to figure it out if the bloX can be used standalone

bloX is not standalone and can only work in multimode. I have not yet figured out how to manage the library with it. There is no manual, yet.

The one from rekon audio is the best.

1 Like

I use this, which works fine.

There is also a free editor/librarian, which does the job …

https://www.softknobs.com/softknobs-blofeld-140-available

4 Likes

thanks for the suggestions guys, I will check them out!

1 Like

Because you can upload any sound, say a string pluck. Turn down the volume of that part and use the wave shape of the sample to modulate most of the parameters of another osc or wavetable or another sample…just one example…!

Its a pretty neat way to dynamically alter sounds in an alternate way in a subtractive environment.

You can also load drum kits and have a drum track.

Stabs

Vocal snippets

And other things that you would never be able to program otherwise…

2 Likes

People make the mistake of leaving the lfo free running and dont know to set the start phase of the lfo to at least 1…instead of zero…

It does sync to bpm and the start of a note and is devisable by multiples and devisions of the bpm…i do it all the time.???

3 Likes

Editor-wise, I went for Gofter. I’ve been using it in demo mode for a while and it’s working well for me.

2 Likes

yah, i use gofter and i like it especially being able to upload wavetables/waveforms.

2 Likes