Blofeld love

Sure, the “it looks like the vintage synth I always wanted to have” factor is important.

Is it possible to import wavatables that are available on the internet into the Blofeld editor? For example I have a folder with all virus TI and massive wavetables that I use with Serum. Could that work with Blofeld?

Not sure if they will work directly, they are probably a different format. I use the Audio Term software for creating Blofeld wavetables, it can convert wavetables to different synth formats if necessary. It can also convert samples into wavetables. Really good once you get your head around the early 90’s type interface!

edit: Can’t remember now but I think I had to use WINEBOTTLER to get this running on OSX, its worth it though!

Do these wavetables have a specific extention? Something like .sfer ?

It might be possible, but I really can’t guarantee it. The thing is that the Wavetables On the Blofeld are 64 waveforms. Serum supports different numbers per Wtable. You can import the Blofeld tables and probably use them in serum. The editor can load „wav“ files. It might be possible to create a wav file out of our tables and import those. Just try it out :wink:

This has me keen to have a go at a wavetable creator for the Blofeld, I have made a wavetable creator before for a custom synth I made in Max when the first version of the iPhone came out (there was a custom controller called fantastik iirc) - it was a nice hands on way to scan through wavetables - but as I recall it, the way I had it configured I only entered the waypoint waves and Max did all the morphing between shapes - I’m wondering (if anyone cares to comment) whether the wave tables created by these various apps are all the same size or different (proportional to the number of waypoints) … if it’s the latter then the Blofeld does the interpolation based on the wave position in the stack of 64, if the interpolation needs to be calculated and baked into the wavetable then I may not try this - may instead opt to wine-bottle the PC app, but where’s the fun in that and besides the fun is in making the workflow suit your preferences

so if anyone can shed light on the file sizes it’d be helpful/appreciated :thup:

another related question to anyone using an editor which is changing parameter values by sysex (NOT CC) - do you find that the Blofeld is not keeping up with rapid changes in easily edited values where you can mouse the whole range quickly (as opposed to a drop down menu) - I’ve just noticed in my editor that the Blofeld was sluggish and I’ve never noticed this on any synth before - I had to script something to thin out the data but keep the responsiveness, but it had me wondering if the MIDI side was struggling in the unit (os 1.23) especially as i’d never noticed this … the sysex strings for individual parameters aren’t that long, and comparable with an NRPN string on a DSI or Elektron and they never choke

so any anecdotal feedback on the Blofeld’s ‘coping’ with rapid sysex programming (not sound dumps) would be interesting too

The Blofeld is too deep for its own good - it really needs an editor to view the patching as a whole, even if you get along with the interface - but I’ve had so much fun with the oscillator section (compared to most other analogs / VAs) that I want to get back into it again - it’s amazing for sound design, individual patches can be whole pieces

no doubt, except possibly the original Pulse+ :wink: … mighty

got me gassing for a blofeld now. for anyone that has an OT and blofeld combo, do you find the OT to make editing just bearable or MUCH better ?

The problem why the Blofeld is struggling with external midi messages has to do with the rather weak CPU inside which handles all the duties.

Personally, I don’t find the editing on the blofeld bad at all. I think it is pretty fast. I do use the :elot: for performance and sequencing the blofeld. Very occasionally I will supplement an LFO from Octatrack, but usually that is only when I don’t want to change the patch on the blofeld. That said, the two are a killer combo. Really really fun.

Hi, i‘m nur 100% sure if I understand you correctly since English isn’t my native language.
The wavetables have all the exact same size, independent of the complexity. I guess that the interpolation is done by the wavetable editors engine. But if i remember correctly, i read in the manual that the Blofeld calculates the intersection between every step: the Wavetables consists of 64 steps and the Blofeld has 128 „steps“ (0-127), so if you go from wave 1 to wave 2 there is a pseudo step between, in order to make the transition smoother. If a complete wavetable is finished in the editor, it can be saved as sysex file. Those can be uploaded with a sysex manager. The name and the position for the table is written into the sysex file of the wavetable. What’s kind of strangethat the size of a WT set is really small, but i don’t believe that Blo is fast enough to do the whole interpolation in real time, but maybe it would be possible that the Blofeld calculates everything after the import and saves then a complete caluculated version of the set, but personally i believe this is completely done by the wavetable editor.
I have the patchbase editor for the iPad, it supports a lot of different synths (even Volca FM and a lot of classic we’ll know synths). But i program my patches direct on the hardware, if you use it often, you know exactly what’s the quickest way to change and set things up. I use it as memory training :wink:
But usually editing via sysex can be slow. When i use a Volca fm and the app, the data are send over a midi interface(slow Transfer Speed) . If everything is set up perfect, it is faster but not fast enough to modulate a patch in real-time without delay.

For which synth did you write your Wavetable editor? I don’t know Max. Is it some kind of software devolpment kit that can be integrated/wrapped as plugin for Ableton?

When I create a wavetable with the editor, i usually create a waveform for the first step, and for the steps 16, 32,48 and 64. I then use a integrated morphing algorithm that calculates all the steps between. The only problem is that the editor can’t play the waveforms as audio, so I have to upload them into the Blofeld to listen how the sound.
I used the „WALDORF BLOFELD WAVETABLE CREATOR“ app. The editor „Audioterm“ application can play the audio that results from the wavetable, but I have to read the manual first since it’s a little more complex. Both apps can theoretically load short „wav“ files to resynthesize/extract the waveforms and make a table out of it, but i haven’t tried this out (maybe tomorrow).

But what’s strange that even a complex Wavetable consists of only a few rows of hexadecimal code, but all the Wavetables have the same size. But it looks like everything is done by the editor itself…

The Blofeld is really easy programmable. It’s just the fact that he can do very much, that’s why multiple pages are needed. The Octatrack has for every button multiple functions, but only because the insane amount of possibilities. With the Blofeld you always know where you are, and the matrix used is IMO the best way to control everything without the need of hundreds of buttons (which would cost lots of money). I say buy one, you won’t regret it. If you have a Octatrack too, it’s like heaven. Perfect for Pads, Plucks, Atmosphere, FX, and even for bass! I have a lot of much more expensive synths but the Blofeld is still one of my favourites!

I just „wasted“ four hours laying on my bed with a Keystep and my Blofeld and created new patches with my newly created wavetables, not even my Virus can load custom wavetables! And i have not even started to talk about the FM possibilities, which are awesome!

Absolutely! The Blofeld is by far the most deepest allrounder out there! Use some external FX and you are in heaven😀

thanks for looking - this makes me wonder if that developer just decided to morph the in between steps or whether the Blofeld does indeed need that (this makes more sense) - the confusion is that it’s theoretically possible to do the interpolation in synthesis (the one I was creating for was all created in Cycling 74’s Max/MSP and the iPhone app sent touch data by wifi which max used to create open gl renderings for an interface) - as I recall it, the thing that made it interesting was the polyphonic modulation of wave table position and the wavetables themselves

wavetables are what makes the Blofeld come alive for me - dynamics/modulation control affecting timbre in interesting ways

I would say … there is a better way to approach this. The wavetables of the Virus are simple compared to the Blofeld. The Virus seems to have about 4 to 7 different waveforms per wavetable, Waldorf has 64. If we set the “interpolation” parameter on the Virus to “127”, we can listen to the single waveshapes. IMO the strength of the Virus is the granular/formant like oscillators.

The Blofeld reads wavetables as special *.mid files, which can be created according to:

Serum can export single waveforms as *.wav, but I haven’t found a software to get this to Blofeld. At least we can re-paint the waveforms in the utilities for Blofeld. Maybe we find together a better way. It would be great to have Serum importing audio, exporting wavetables and using them on Blofeld. Technically we might find a procedure.

The AudioTerm should solve this problem, because it can import .wav-files

i just found out that the Sytrus FM-synth in FL-Studio can export waves as .wav-files

the polyphonic modulation of wave table position and the wavetables themselves

That’s genius! A wavetables that can be modulated, sounds like the future generation of Wavetable synthesis! I hope one day there will be a hardware that can even modulate the wavetables itself! Elektron i looking at you :wink:

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but the new firmware 1.24 has some bad issues!

I’m downgrading now…

Had a dig around in the Blofeld today re the wavetables, for the sake of sharing the wavetables are a set of 64 waves - if packaged as sysex these are 64 x 410 bytes long (384 of the 410 is for the ‘wave’ data and the rest is setting up sysex, name, wave slot in Blofeld and wave position in table stack ) So with 128 samples per wave it’s 3 bytes per sample sent as a 21 bit signed value which means the data ranges from -(2^20) > ((2^20)-1)

I’m not yet sure if the Blofeld needs all 64 of these waves sent or whether it’ll interpolate between those sent at selected marked positions in the stack; not needing to interpolate would make it much simpler to create wavetable sets

What’s really evident to me in any case is that the Blofeld inspires me for certain arrangements of wavetables and this has made me determined to continue developing this - I’m needing more of those ‘wavetrip’ type wavetables - the only slightly disappointing aspect is that the waves in the tables are all only 128 samples long, so it’s quite coarse (when i’d done a wave table ‘synth’ before the tables could work with waves of sample length 256 through to 4096) but to be honest, I think it’s the character you get from 128 sample waves that makes the timbre appealing and I always dial up the Brilliance parameter to emphasise the crunchiness

One thing I do not like about the Blofeld is the knob feel, it’s geared a bit slow and the super smooth shiny knobs always feel slippy - the other thing that’s hard to get used to is that some parameters will only be audible when you re-trigger a new note - I’m used to changing parameters and hearing the effect instantly

One thing i’d add is that the samples feel super slick compared to the wavetables, but I like the sound design possibilities of the wavetable side more - the Blofeld does a sort of ‘polyphonic’ modulation as you can tie velocity to wavetable position, so a cluster of notes can sound very nice as they’ll have differing timbres and may vary every time you play the same notes - before you contemplate further modulations … great synth and one of only a handful that offer logic operations which are unbelievably powerful btw

Could you elaborate as to which parameters are these?

I mean it’s not that hard to get around it but sometimes you don’t want to re-trigger notes and just keep the sound droning while changing parameters and recording audio. Have been eyeing Blofeld since I owned microQ ages ago and have been considering to get it for the wavetables, etc.

Well, I agree that there’s advantages both ways and it’s also nice to have a series of notes hanging which have all started life as different voices

It seems to be the main things like Oscillator selection and filter type (both of which are dynamic on most other synths I have) - even if you have a wavetable on a voice, you can’t vary the wavetable selected once the voice has started, the voice has to be stolen (or decay) eventually - there may be more as I found this quite obstructive in the past - but the modulation table is live once a note is playing, so there’s probably less than I recalled, but FM Source is cast when the note starts (but not PWM/Pan source) - Filter Drive type is also set until the next note, as is the Brilliance parameter - so sometimes it can be disconcerting to be playing whilst tweaking as parameter changes make no difference

It’d be good to see a list of all the parameters fixed at voice start, might search for that

Thank you! A list would definitely be nice find! From what I understand it’s more of such parameters which are changing type/source/etc. so that wouldn’t really bother me too much. Osc type not being possible to change while sustaining a note probably bother me the most :confused: