Blofeld - change multis using program changes

Does anyone know how to change a multi on the blofeld via program changes?

So far, it seems that program changes just change the actual sound on each part of a multi, and not the multi itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

yup, but i’m only able to either change programs/sounds in sound mode or a part’s sound/program in multi mode. I really want to be able to change the selected multi though…

yup, that’s what i’m trying to do :-/

:disappointed:

multimode works great, i had a blofeld back in 2009-2010, and i had no problems other than voice stealing would happen because of my complex patches (i typically could play 2-3 with no problem, sometimes 4).

i just really really want to be able to change multis via program changes instead of individual sounds.

they mention in this thread that it’s supposed to be included in a firmware update, and that was back in 2009.

http://www.waldorf-forum.com/pipermail/user-forum/2009-December/022097.html

2 Likes

Found this

http://waldorf-music.info/de/57-news/news/335-new-blofeld-firmware-v115

Looks like it was added back in firmware v1.15.

[ul]
[li]Changing Multi Programs via Bank MSB (CC#0) value 127[/li]
[/ul]
I’m assuming that you can change multi programs using the main midi channel using CC#0. I just wish I could use program changes as this will make me lose one CC on the monomachine…oh well, at least it can be done!

1 Like

Ugh, just tried it and it doesn’t seem to work.

Blofeld is set to channel 11, but since I’m in Multi Mode, I am using channels 11, 12, 13, and 14. I set one of the CCs on the MnM to CC # 0 (using channel 11) in order to control which Multi to use. That didn’t work, so I tried every channel to see if global settings were controlled with another channel.

I’m able to automate all four WXYZ modifiers, so everything should be set correctly. I’m also using the latest firmware. So unless something changed between firmware 1.15 and 1.23 that removed the ability to control which Multi you’re using, it should all work.

Anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

Well, you don’t want one channel conflicting with another channel. So, in order to avoid one channel stepping on the toes of another, you ensure that each instrument has its own channel.

If anyone has a Blofeld and could test controlling Multis with MIDI, that’d be fantastic.

…unless you want to play it multitimbrally on one channel…

Well, the Blofeld is fully polyphonic, so if you want to play chords, you can just play them.
But as far as multitimbrality on the Blofeld goes, you can specify the channel on each part, so could easily play different sounds at the same time straight from a keyboard.

TBH, I’ve owned a Blofeld for a few years and barely even tried out multi mode- I kept turning the wrong knob and losing my work, so said screw it. Also, since it is possible to have a LOT going on even playing a single note, I never felt the need to go multi, but that’s just me…

I’m just curious how this is supposed to work. It looks like you can do it, but maybe it has to do with the way the MnM deals with CCs? Bank MSB sounds like it is simply just CC#0, so using CC#0 should work to change which Multi you’re using.

In any case, I emailed Waldorf, so hopefully they can point me in the right direction in how I can control which Multi is selected via MIDI. I’ll chime back in once I hear from them.

And yes, I solved it!

Apparently, you need to send a CC message using CC#0 at a value of 127 and then you send program change messages. And voila, it works!

5 Likes

Nice, glad you got it figured out. I’m not sure when or if I will need it, but it is good to know that it works. Thanks for sharing the solution.

kinda sucks that i have to lose one of the mnm’s ccs (and program changes) to change multis. oh well, it’s better than having to change each individual sound on all parts of a multi.

Zfigz I try too to change multis with program change…I’ve done the firmware upgrade but now, where I assign the value of 127 to a CC#0 ? I have a blofeld desktop but I don’t see any parameters on display that let me do this…

You send the MIDI message from another device to the Blofeld.

1 Like

I use Radias I have a MIDI MAP CC# with paramName: and CtrlChg# : this is on 000 and in the param name is in ‘‘portament’’ but I don’t have any place where I can assign a Value of 127 (except in some sounds parameters I can but I don’t think is that the place) can you explain to me a little more? Maybe if you done this it will be helpful to know how you did…Anyway I have also a Gaia and in this one I can’t change nothing about MIDI CC parameters. I hope that there is a way on the blofeld or on a Vst that control Midi maps…

Make sure that you’re send CC#0 using a value of 127, and then immediately send a program change via the global midi channel. That will change which multi you’re using.

This is clear but where I assign this value of 127? In the Blofeld or in the other instruments? And after all I can’t assign a Value of 127 from any synthesizer I have. Can you explain to me exactly how did you do and where did you go to send this value?

The original poster is changing the Multi on the Blofeld using MIDI Bank Change and Program Change commands from another instrument such as a sequencer.
If you want to do this, you need to have an instrument that can send the two MIDI messages. I don’t have a Radias, but I guess that it can do this if you map one controller (maybe a button or a knob) to CC #0 and make it send value 127. The you should probably change the Program on the Radias to the value that you want in order to send a Program Change message to the Blofeld.