Black screen MDUW for 550$ worth it?

I have the chance to buy a Machinedrum UW for 550$ (auction ends today) but it has a black screen on startup.

I have read a few threads, where people were able to easily fix this…are there cases where it can’t be fixed?

Should I go for it and try it?

The price seems very tempting to me…

3 Likes

Regardless of what gear or how much the sale price is, any time I consider purchasing non-working, undiagnosed electronic equipment, I view it as a gamble. Without knowing what’s wrong, you can make an educated guess about repair costs, but there are no guarantees.

Whatever you choose to do, hope it works out for the best!

6 Likes

Sounds like a fun project, if you know what you’re doing.

I’d buy it just for the challenge - even if you paid someone to fix it, and if it needs a complete inside-and-out job, you’d likely break even.

Does it have a +Drive?

3 Likes

snarky answer: if you have to ask, don’t do it

better answer: If you don’t mind flushing $550 and are eager for an electronics adventure, then go for it!

Best case is that you will be able to fix it by replacing the display with tools you already own. Worst case is that you buy a new display, a nice soldering iron and some other fun tools and still can’t make it work, ultimately giving up in disgust.

Reality will probably lie somewhere between those extremes. Avoid stress by making sure you are OK with all possible outcomes. Increase adventure by YOLOing it right now.

What do you want out of life?

3 Likes

@shigginpit Yup, always a gamble…so far luck was on my side most of the time.

@Claid non +Drive mk1

@obscurerobot I definitely need YOLO in my life…the question is, if it’s right this time :smiley:

I wonder how many people here had black scren units and couldn’t fix it?

1 Like

That black screen on startup… Do any LEDs come on? Does it seem to be working normally otherwise?

2 Likes

It’s on auctions, so I don’t have much info…but here is the description:

Due to the following points, it is being exhibited as a junk item.

When I turned on the power using the included power adapter, it turned on.

However, after turning on the power, the screen turns black and does not move from there.

I had the same problem in the past and sent it in for repair in 2019.

At that time, we performed the following repairs.

Main board (surface mount board) contact failure and button adjustment
(LCD IC, connector contact area, resistance, etc.)

Although it was repaired, the equipment was rarely used after that.

It had been left unattended, but I recently turned it on again.

I am experiencing the same symptoms.

and a picture

2 Likes

Could be a contact on the screen board has come away. Or it could be much worse.

Either way, sounds like a adventure!

A new mainboard in 2019 means odds are very good that all the unobtanium parts actually work, so the odds of this project concluding successfully just shot up.

If you can message the seller and get them to tell you the results of the self test or pressing play, odds go up again.

That’s optimistic :slight_smile: the reality is the odds are completely unknown. It could be a recurring issue with a component on the main board.

It could be a simple fix, it could end up costing more than it’s worth.

As others have said, if you’re ok with all potential outcomes, go for it. Worst case is you sell it for parts.

2 Likes

…I asked the seller for more info…will keep you updated :wink:

1 Like

If it was just the screen gone bad then some of the LED’s should be lit. More likely it’s not booting for some reason. If you’ve lived a clean life and regularly help old ladies cross the street it might turn out to be an easy fix but lots of parts are obsolete and there is no service manual…

you’ve got to ask yourself one question: ‘Do I feel lucky?’

5 Likes

Here’s the detailed answer from the seller:
(translated from Japanese)

thanks for your questions. ① Press the play button after startup → No change (remains a black screen, does not play, LED does not light up) ② Unplug and plug the power, start while pressing the play button → The logo and “K 1.63” appear at 0.5 second intervals It becomes like this. However, the situation remains the same and there is no change. ③ Unplug and plug the power, start up while holding down TRIG1 → Same state as ② ④ In addition to steps ③, press the FUNCTION button several times → “MD MENU” screen appears. I selected TESTMODE (TRIG1) and was able to transition to the “SELF TEST” screen. When I press the button, the LED lights up, but there is no sound and there is no LED regularity. ⑤ Press FACTORY RESET (TRIG3) from “MD MENU” in step ④ → Return to ② and there is no change. *The backlight is always on from ① to ⑤.

I personally don’t think it’s worth it for $550 for a MkI in unknown condition with known issues

I have pretty minimal electronics experience though and I’ve gotten lucky on a lot of very simple solder fixes or even more simple stuff sometimes like loose ribbon connectors

That said, $550 is still kinda a lot to cough up for that. If it was under $300 I’d probably say go for it.

Keep us posted! Wouldn’t mind seeing what you whip up with a machinedrum

2 Likes

Another update from the seller, here a pictures from the Function Test.

…looks much more convincing when you can see things on the screen :smiley:

This seems promising, if I were in you’re shoes, I would give it a shot

1 Like

update:

Not gonna go for it…I got a herniated disc, no need for anymore stress right now.

6 Likes

It might be for the best, last thing you need is financial stress on top of physical pain! Can really sour your appreciation for a device when it’s been a bastard to you for months before it works.

1 Like