Bit Reduction : Useless?

it’s quite unpredictable and I do think SRR would have been better… hey ho… Overbridge soon and then you crush whatever you like however you like I guess!

I agree! I love rate redux. The bit redux is nice to have but I don’t use it much.

Bitcrusher should be an easy effect to add since low-fidelity = less data! It’s literally asking the sample engine to do less work.

1 Like

A couple more low-processor load per-track effects bit rate redux (and a master bus compression) would really elevate the Digitakt’s standalone credibility.

Add an option to turn one track into a real-time audio in part, and man. It would become a genuine centerpiece! MIDI, phrase samples, basic synthesis, drum samples and drum synthesis, 2-part mono mixer with effects and step-programmable gate… the mind boggles.

2 Likes

Not a BR lover, but I had some nice results in a kind of multiband application. Doubled a track first lp, second hp + BR… and tweak.

:drooling_face:

5 Likes

Really like BR pushed to 127 on sub bass :slight_smile:

I agree with a lot of what’s been said. My first thought upon trying the BR pretty much mirrored the OP’s reaction, but as I’ve played with it a bit more it’s found its uses. Is it a really nice bit crusher? Certainly not - but it can dirty up a sample on an LFO, can occasionally work wonders on bass and can also be used to elongate the rattle of a snare. It really can’t provide that papery crispness or biscuity crunch though.

By far my most pleasant experiences with the BR have been using it sparingly over material that Ive re-sampled multiple times, applying a little BR to each iteration. That simple method can really inject some character into things.

As long as we’re on the subject though, if I were to request an overhaul to bit reduction, it would come hand in hand with a request for Rossum style pitching. Oh SP1200, how I miss thee. Meh, how about 12 bit 36 KHz sampling while were at it :heart_eyes:

While the above is just pie in the sky - perhaps pitch tracking isn’t? I’d love for the filter to track pitch - and key tracked bit crushing is honestly one of my favourite effects - especially on bass.

4 Likes

They should have named it

Baby’s First Elektron

:3lektron::nyan::panda::quirky::loopy::diddly::cool::aw::pl::3lektron:

1 Like

on the digitakt It is useful on some samples but on anything that already has a high noise level in it, noise just gets magnified and to me it then gets much less useful… on single cycle wave forms you can get an almost wavefolding effect when modulating the bitreduction and if your looking for aggressive sounds it can be great… you have to keep in mind where it is in the signal chain also as it is prefilter and I think people are often used to this kind of effect at the end of a signal chain… so make sure to use your filter envelope to open up enough for it to be heard. I think it is actually pretty good be it would be nice to have something more extreme also.

Great tune, Love the Railway Raver/BR Posse!

1 Like

I really hear the improvement on Bit Reduction… Thanks for that one!!

2 Likes

That where I use it the most. Though some definitely gonna try and put an LFO on it as some people here are doing. For some reason never thought about that.

I also like how the bit reduction sounds, it comes together with the overdrive providing almost as much dirt as a distortion fx. Still it would be nice if I could add even MORE overdrive.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of the lofi effect on my MV8800 and one feature that it has that I feel would take the DT BR to a more usable state is effectively an envelope. If the BR had a second parameter for release time it would be so effective. That way you could tailor the effect tail to each sample. I find that the BR in its current state adds too much frequency content beyond the samples length that it can become rhythmically distracting.

Could you accomplish similar with a one-shot LFO?

Just thinking more:
If you use LFO to do this (not sure if it would accomplish it in the way you’re wanting but might be good enough), and if you are using the BR as a “set it once and forget it” thing on the sample, then you could resample, so it gets embedded in a new sample, then you get your LFO back to use for other stuff.

3 Likes

For sure those are great workarounds and I also haven’t been exploring resampling enough. I guess I’m usually in the zone of writing where I just want to set and forget!

1 Like

while where here a sample rate dial would be great also and make the bit reduction more realistic if the sample rate per sample could be changed also, the lo-fi effect on roland samplers like mv8800, sp303, sp808 use the 12bit 22khz to get it and works nicely

i’ve noticed bit reduction works better for lower spectrum sounds (on the Machinedrum).

sometimes works okay for higher frequency sounds, but if they have a subtly fading tail, then it might sound weird.

I’m just curious, how does Digitakt bit reduction work? Is the bit rate ACTUALLY being reduced, or is it bit reduction ‘emulation’? Don’t own one, just curious.