Birds!

Wow, gorgeous pics @esq and @konputa !

2 Likes

Thats a Teal… not a wood duck. :wink:
Oof this thread is banging hard. Good work people.
Remember, name your birds, extra nerd points awarded for latin names.

3 Likes

You too! I’ve never seen a honey eater before, super cool :raised_hands:

2 Likes

I sense a cue for an Eels singalong.

2, 3, 4…

5 Likes

Names too! Strong. Mine are mostly obvious, except perhaps the Rhea, and the hornbill at the end (I affectionately refer to him as orange leather face)… Although if anyone knows more specifically what kind of hornbill, I’d love to know!!

2 Likes

This guy can conduct

10 Likes

Love the photos!

1 Like

I think he might be too big for Mr Everett’s feeder.

1 Like

I took this one down by the river not far from my house. Often disliked, occasionally beautiful.
The humble Feral Pigeon columba livia

11 Likes

Gorgeous. I’ll have to dig out some of my pelican photos. They are everywhere round here. The Australian Pelican. 2 metres tall, 2.5m wingspan… absolutley enormous.

3 Likes

Lovely photos! Where were they taken? Reserve? Zoo?

2 Likes

Goodness that is a large bird.

1 Like

Yup.
Conversely, the Silvereye posted by @CountedSorrow, is only around 9cm beak to tail… Australia is pretty good for birds. From the tiny to the fecking huge!

3 Likes

An example of how large the Australian pelicans are, a photo from back in my wildlife rescue days. And this one is just a baby:

Juvenile Australian Pelican - 2009
Pelecanus conspicillatus
Blown off course, released back to the wild after a vet check and a good feed. This juvenile was 7kg (15.4lbs). For size reference I am holding him and am 169cm (5’6").

And my own rescue duck, Miss Quackers. As a Muscovy Duck (Cairina moschata) she was considered a pest species so could not be released and found her home with me. Featuring her best friend and loyal subject, Miss Dot the Isa Brown Chicken.

18 Likes

Wow. That juvenile is fully twice the weight of our pelicans here in Florida. Amazing.

Yay! Another duck rescue!

2 Likes

I live in a state with many, many pelicans. After all, it’s called the Pelican State. Yet they never fail to impress me with how big they are. It’s like watching something from the dinosaur era.!

Some pelican pics as I looked out the front door of my previous apartment.

5 Likes

2 metres tall!!! Eesh! Huge!

There’s a place not far from where I live, called Birdworld - I took my pics there. We went for a trip because my girlfriend bought me a ‘feed the penguins’ gift :smiley: I had a lovely time feeding the Humboldt’s – they can catch, like dogs, it’s hilarious – and wandering around taking pictures all afternoon.

3 Likes

I’m loving all these massive Pelicans cropping up. Did anyone see Homecoming on Amazon prime (Julia Roberts etc.)? I loved the use of a huge pelican and it’s sounds in that series

2 Likes

Fresh from my Bird Bath, took this today. By the look if his ragged feathers, this one is a fighter.

The Noisy Friar Bird Philemon Cornucilatus

Im convinced they modelled the Skeksis upon this most oddball bird, it has the most insane song.

19 Likes

100%! That’s great. :slight_smile:

2 Likes