Biologik's part transition tip

So this only works with looped audio tracks set to plays free. In the comments section to this video

he says that if your pattern is made up of individual trigs you can always sample them into audio on the fly.

I’m trying to work out how to achieve this, if by “on the fly” he means you can actually do it during the set as it’s going out live.

So far my failed approach has been this:

I have a pattern made up of individual trigs from which I wish to transition to another pattern with looped audio set up as disconnected tracks in the way he describes. I set up my track recorders on the first pattern to sample each track into audio. Then I create a pattern to play back those recording buffers

Trouble is when I switch to that pattern obviously nothing plays until I trigger the tracks manually using the track trig keys.

Does anyone have any idea how to set things up to be able to transition in way I’m attempting ? It could be I’m missing something totally obvious as by this stage i can barely see the wood for the trees !

you out there biologik ?

Thanks

5 Likes

you are sampling all trig sequences to one track right?

to do this , set one track up to play back from recording 1, pop a playback trig on the first step.

now pop that track into record mode and set up the source to either track 8 if you use a master track, cue if using the cue method (so you can select to record certain tracks and not other) or the main output if none of the above…

then you presumably are using the scene transition trick to go from the individual triggers on one side and the loop recording on the other.

so you make your transition from A to B … the track that is playing back your recording has got loop set to run free… thats it !!

now you can change patterns and the loop will keep on running, then you will be able to move from the recording you made on your first pattenr, over to whatever you have setup on your new pattern.

thanks man.

actually i’m working on the parts transition trick which is different from the crossfader trick in that it allows you to mix between two patterns track by track…swapping the kicks, basses, pads etc one by one.

but you know i’ve had my head so much into other complexities that it raised (see my reply to the trig quantize thread ) that i completely forgot about the crossfader transition. i knew it when i said i can’t see the wood for the trees.

so thank you because the crossfader transition can indeed help me to get to my disconnected tracks transition state. just not in the way you describe.

i think I need to set one track recorder to record a mix of all the tracks on my starting pattern while letting all the others record their own tracks individually. then in my transition pattern i can set that mix track buffer to be trigged by the sequencer while all the other buffers play free.

now when i launch that new pattern i will have all the volumes on the plays free tracks down. while the mix track being trigged by the sequencer holds the groove. then i can set up scene on the other side of the fader which has the volumes of my plays free tracks up. while the mix track is playing i can manually and silently launch the plays free tracks and fade over to the new scene, bringing my plays free tracks up and my mix track down

from there i can use biologik’s transition method. now i just need to figure out how to salvage the track i’ve lost to my master mix which is now looping silently in the background.

Hey oneman re-reading your post I think maybe what was confusing me with your way was that I don’t believe you can trig a plays free track from a sequencer trig - it has to be done manually.

I see what you’re saying now.

my experiments continue…

I’m out there, and I see your problem. You can just change the track mode for that pattern since it’s pattern based. Then you’re OK!

1 Like

Just gotta say this is my favorite OT tip of 2013!

yeah, mine too . thanks again biologik…true thinking outside the box !. i come from an ableton background and, before this truly inspired tip, was really missing the freedom I had in the mix to make really smooth transitions, channel by channel.

just wish now that there was an option to sample pre FX on track 8 as master…I like my master comp. but I might end up going OTB for it. I 'm finding this transition, from tracks made up of trigs to plays free, looped audio a little more complex when factoring in the internal compressor.

Hey guys,

This transition trick has saved my bacon! I just have a little question…

You save part 4 for your ‘transition part’ and the only difference between parts 1 and 4 is that part 4 has the Loop parameter set to ON. What is the need for this? Can’t I just have all my parts with the loop parameter set to ON? Or is there a really important reason for having it just set to ON on part 4?

Thanks so much for the help!

H

2 Likes

Part 4 has loop set to on to enable the transition - the loops of the current pattern will continue to play while you switch to your new pattern, even with the sequencer stopped.

Part 1 though must have loop off, otherwise you wouldn’t be able to “mute” the plays free tracks by stopping them (Trig 1 - 2 setting) - they would just carry on looping as they do in your Part 4 tracks.

Any clearer ?

3 Likes

Yes, totally got that. Thanks so much! I guess if I’m ‘arranging’ my track by using the track mutes on the OT then it doesnt matter, right?