Big thumbs up for Digitone Midi Loopback

For me one of the best features of the Digitakt and Digitone is how the midi loopback can be implemented. IMO this feature takes these machines to another level. And all you need is a cheap midi cable.
For example I’m able to lfo the global delay settings to get some amazing effects as well as use two trig tracks (one midi and the other the audio track). It really adds an incredible amount to the already long list of modulation options. But yeah being able to modulate the global fx is awesome.

4 Likes

I still haven’t tried it!

Have you had any loop issues? Can you press double-stop without it hanging? I have an MIO4 so I might be able to filter transport messages, because I believe(?) they can(?) cause a loop. Do you disable the transport send/receive in midi settings?

No double stop still hangs. The best thing for me is being able to modulate the global effects.

1 Like

If you disable the transport stuff in the midi sync settings, does it still hang?

Double stop still hangs even if midi sync settings are all off.

1 Like

Cool, good to know.

Thanks for answering my lazy questions!! If I make it work hang-free with filtering in my mio, I will post about it :slight_smile:

1 Like

on DT I’m able to Kickstart the sequencer back into life after a double stop hang. rapid fire press play button loads of times till it starts hopping forward one step at a time, then stop and then play real fast. sometimes takes a few goes but it feels like Kickstarting an old motorbike. works a charm :smile:

(haven’t tried it on DN)

6 Likes

Haha that’s great… :joy:
I’m imagining how you first discovered that and it’s making me laugh :grin:

1 Like

One thing I just realised with the DT + DN combo…
I could run Midi loop back on each box while still syncing by using the sync Midi port?
That would be really cool!

Might have to give that a try next jam session

Edit:.
I’m an idiot, I can’t plug the Midi in because it’s being used by loopback :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I noticed midi loop back kills my ability to preview/play samples from the browser. Pulling the midi cable sorts it. Still experimenting tho maybe my settings are whack

yea its pretty much as u imagine I guess :smile:

Yep me too. Kind of a weird bug I guess.

If you have DT+DN, the same stuff that you could do with loopback you can do by having the DT control the DN while the DN controls the DT… :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hmmm good point :grin:

2 Likes

I actually haven’t done this yet, but with the midi loopback, you could dedicate a midi track to the sole function of chaining patterns. That way, you could just chain a bunch of patterns together to create a song, and if you want any pattern to loop for a bit, all you’d need to do is mute the midi track.

This sounds like it would be a fun/interesting take on the typical song-mode that incorporates the most minimal/manageable of manual interaction with the machine.

3 Likes

I’m not sure what the internal midi implementation is like (as this isn’t my area of expertise at all) but it would be so cool if they just had a menu-item to create the loop. There are already fairly extensive controls for sending/receiving program change, sync, channel, etc. Seems like it would be relatively trivial.

2 Likes

As well as use conditional program changes to jump to random patterns. @void showed this off in an early vid.

2 Likes

Ah, yes. I wasn’t even considering conditional trigs for some odd reason. With conditional trigs, you could have patterns loop in the chain without even having to manually mute anything. Your basic song-mode is all there by dedicating a midi channel to sending program changes. Conditional trigs add a unique/interesting twist to it all.

1 Like

Yep, and if you have two of the Digi boxes then not even any danger of midi loop crashes.

1 Like

Elektron should cater to this without requiring a cable!

7 Likes