Big Sur launch causing havoc on non-Big Sur Macs

windows 10 does something similar to this yes? if one company is doing it’s likely they all are in some way to some degree. it’s telemetry they collect.

the mac system for doing this in coming computers/OS seems pretty locked up and efficient from their perspective. ugh. this is the world we live in. Linux is the only out… or something if this kind of thing is a deal breaker for end user.

I didn’t watch that video so not sure what was discussed there, but what happened yesterday isn’t simply telemetry.

macOS makes a call to Apple servers when you open the app, and the app does not open until it gets the response from the server. Because the servers were down/overloaded, apps took seconds to minutes to open.

yes i know what happened. i used telemetry as an all encompassing definition for all the data, location, IP address etc… you should watch the video. he makes it pretty clear, in a non-tinfoil hat way, what is happening.

1 Like

Cool :+1:

I imagine that’s right, but I don’t know. Apple may be leading the way. This sounds very insidious.

1 Like

Have to disagree here. Windows 10 is a lot better than w7. XP is not even a comparison. Worked with all of them and used mac for many years as well. Currently w10 is the better OS imho. Smooth, fast, no problems with keeping it up to date for years now. Though things might change in a few years as they do. But apple really needs to get their stuff together.

Pretty insane that a new OS release has any influence on older versions. (Let alone the whole “don’t update for at least 2 years” being sort of normalized, which is bizarre)

1 Like

Guess it depends on what you want from an OS, I don’t want loads of crap like xbox link, cortana, onedrive etc which w10 has, but I would have use for a video editor like movie maker which xp had. The w10 video editing hidden away in the photos app is extremely basic, movie maker had titles, transitions, fx, and much more comprehensive editing. Also the huge tiles and generally dumbed down look and inability to remove some of the crap I’ll never ever use seems like a step backwards. Bloatware.

1 Like

I dont use any of the first apps you mention. You can turn them.off but they were never on within my w10. This is all chosen at the setting up stage when installing w10. You can set w10 up to be very basic with minimal features. And as with every single windows version, you need to adjust some gui stuff and start menu etc. To your liking.

Video editing and photo editing is indeed basic but never has been very deep tbh. Either way there are tons of (free) applications that are way better suited for that.

The whole start menu is pretty much tweakable. You can even remove the whole tile section pretty much and have the start menu act like w7/xp. It’s really not that different. But even better is that I never use the start menu nor the tiles. I simply hit windows key and type part of the name of the app I want to start and hit enter. It’s very quick. It just evolved and is slightly different in work flow. Not really dumbed down imho.

And stability, quickness, etc. Is light years ahead of w7.

(Sorry for the off topic. Has nothing to do with this mac os problem.)

2 Likes

new apple gear followed by updates historically doesnt play well with the old gear. might be a conspiracy… might not be… but if you depend on your mac for day to day and its from the last gen - i would HIGHLY recommend avoiding upgrading until you can confirm everything is compatible and working smoothly.

Didn’t read the whole thread but did take notice of the anti update vibes with Mac. Good luck moving to Windows Ten and all it’s updates. Crippling at times from what I’ve witnessed with my clients. Either way we are screwed. Nod to the Linux dudes, a little Google foo and curiosity you can have a solid OS for free.

1 Like

I suppose the good thing both Apple and Microsoft have going for them is when they call home, they aren’t using up your mobile data allowance:

2 Likes

Best overview of OCSP is about I’ve seen so far at https://blog.jacopo.io/en/post/apple-ocsp/

6 Likes

thanks for that link. lot’s of details there.

1 Like

This in UNBELIEVABLE! My MBP 2015 was unusable on that day and I suspected a hardware malfunction. In the end I tried to perform a clean install from a bootable usb drive. Then I noticed that Apple removed all install dmgs from the store, even the links from their own help homepage were dead. It took me a whole day to get everything back together, in the end I decided to sell the macbook and don´t work with any apple computer anymore. To read that the system malfunction was caused by the Big Sur update is just embarrasing.

1 Like

Luckily, no problems here. Mac Pro running Catalina and MacBook Pro on Big Sur. a few plugins not working on Big Sur, otherwise - all good so far.

1 Like

that escalated quickly! Respect!

I can confirm that. Also that a 500€ W10 Laptop outperforms my 3400€ Laptop big time with macOS Catalina. I don’t refer to any benchmarks: the booting felt a LOT snappier on the cheapo laptop whereas my 16" MBP was still switching between colour profiles and glitching between GFX etc. almost feels like an old TV you have to beat to get it working … sad but true. Apple left me with a feeling I have bought trash. Expensive trash. Trash that is slow and surveys me. My last hope is that Big Sur will be a performance improvement with better drivers for the crappy GPUs used.

But then I have to setup up an external firewall to block all this spytechnology.

edit:

this is the TL;DR

• No, macOS does not send Apple a hash of your apps each time you run them.
  • You should be aware that macOS might transmit some opaque information about the developer certificate of the apps you run. This information is sent out in clear text on your network.
  • You shouldn’t probably block ocsp.apple.com with Little Snitch or in your hosts file.
1 Like

I highly recommend reading the whole thing instead of skipping to the conclusion.

2 Likes

I did. And it’s still too much telemetry. Maybe NSA can’t tell you were using Firefox but they can say you were using a Mozilla cert signed app at a specific time and location. Too much information - unencrypted!

We can be sure that this is only the tip of the iceberg.

I have been reading a lot of bad things about mac os the last months (or years). Mainly to do with updates.

I have been thinking of trying to build my own mac. I wanted to try the other side. But the more I read, the less I want this. My windows system is totally reliable. What I wanted to try on the mac is using multiple interfaces. That feature is killer compared to windows.

Somehow this whole thing really makes me a bit sad.
As a very much non-expert i thought that maybe the new apple chip has not or less a backdoor as (maybe?probably?) intel chips.
And now this.
Ok that i ever enabled icloud was a mistake,
I feel much better with my old hp and sometimes some backing up to a usb stick, thats my fault, but i thought maybe otherwise mac is a bit preferable privacywise than w10.
I got bitwig also a bit because of linux, but on that laptop (got for free) nothing worked, combination of laptop-error and user-error, will try again…

I‘ m curious what will be the end verdict of experts about bypassing of little snitch and vpns on new macs or big sur.
Now with wireguard vpn can be permanently on. (Commercial or better via raspberry or for example openbsd server)
Ublock origin was and is still great, signal works great, lockdown app is nice with apple. lots of great work from privacy experts done lately (seems to me as non-expert)
That the telecomunication companies ( also the old previously state-owned) are all using huawei parts is another sad thing and maybe more serious/dangerous.