Big Sur launch causing havoc on non-Big Sur Macs

This was very annoying but had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the launch of Big Sur, or the version of macOS you’re currently running (well, assuming you’re running a relatively recent version of macOS).

It is a major and known issue with the way Apple has implemented validation of the apps you’re running. What they’re doing is essentially a useful service, but the way it’s implemented means your Mac can feel very sluggish when their servers aren’t responding immediately which is obviously NOT HOW THINGS SHOULD WORK!

I sincerely hope this global outage makes them rethink the way they’ve implemented this.

2 Likes

Let’s focus on the main issue folks:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=25074959

This is the discussion, but there is a link up top to the twitter thread :pray:

Essentially all things Mac were affected and a lot of the symptoms (upgrading/trying to use non Mac apps) point to the same root cause.

1 Like

Windows 10 is a lot less shit now than it was a few years ago, but still nowhere near as good as XP or even 7.

I really hate the way that some of the defaults appear to be designed for people who are stupid, like auto hiding scroll bars and the big “kid friendly” fisher price looking tiles. Everything “hidden” for a “clean, non confusing look and feel” :face_vomiting:

There are tons of other changes which are not improvements over previous versions of windows, but just change for changes sake.

If it was practical to not own a computer then I would not, because I don’t like any of the modern operating systems, although linux is probably the least detestable.

Probably showing my age, but I just can’t tolerate half assed, dumbed down, unreliable, “trying to do to much and be too helpful and automatic”, operating systems. Today I wasted 30 minutes trying to find out why my new computer would not see my 5ghz wifi network, only to discover that despite the D-Link wifi dongle box saying it supported 5ghz, it in fact does not, their own website and windows (after cmd line investigation) indicate that it is only 2.4ghz. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: Not that it is a big deal, but if someone did their job properly I could have spent that time doing something more productive.

3 Likes

I experienced this yesterday with my 2015 iMac running Mojave. It took Ableton like 10+ minutes to fire up. Totally caught me off guard. :neutral_face:

1 Like

holy hell. Yesterday my Mojave 2018 Macbook Pro just shit the bed. It was lagging, stuttering and was unusable. I did all the usual things to try and fix it and eventually got fed up, booted into safe mode and reinstalled mojave over the existing version. after that everything ran fine.

It’s totally messed up that this happens via notarization server checks and all that crap. I couldn’t even use safari or messages w/o mega glitches.

what a shit show of a hassle.

2 Likes

On Yosemite. No issues

I guess we are looking at it from different perspectives.

To be fair it probably worked fine once you finished because that’s how long it took for the issue to resolve…

It was a pain to deal with at work, I had a lot of things to finish up and it happened at the end of the work day…

Thankfully this is rare!

2 Likes

true. yeah… i wish i’d just tried turning wifi off as that seems to have resolved it for some people.

but wtf. the reliability of my computer shouldn’t depend on an apple server.

2 Likes

Yea hopefully they change their approach.

It just sucks because it’s not obvious at all even for technical folk.

Luckily that thread on Hacker News was on the front page and I just waited because I didn’t want to mess with host files on a work machine.

Like they could cache the checksums on your local machine. If the timeout exceeds 1000ms then default to local cache until timeouts are within a reasonable time frame. Ensure only admin can access cache. But that gets weird because scripts could theoretically mess with the cache if malware has admin…

Double Edged Sword so to speak

3 Likes

Yes seems yesterday was the day with a lot of strange issues. For me, firefox almost didnt work, didnt try other suff. Today ok (catalina on mbp)

Check macrumours for a lot of new complaints, today still. What causes it seems not clear. (Edit: apple server problem for most stuff) The main article suggests turn off and on internet…

Maybe for some its also that they now have the problem with acountsd eating a ton of cpu (see activity) and heating the computer ( was an issue some weeks ago, for me too)
Fix there is sign out, then in again of apple id.
Fixed it, but re-sign in didnt work smooth for me it reuploaded stuff, apple said that souldnt be…
My arcsyn patches disappeared, couldnt encounter them yet in the icloud drive jungle.

Then i wanted to disable all icloud stuff, didnt do it yet because of lazyness and its not that simple, written in small letters at support pages ( why the small short confusing text about the most important stuff, apple?)

Barring workflows heavily dependent on specific VSTs, Linux is pretty mint these days.

I still use my old iMac and Ableton 9 as the digital tape machine just because that’s where everything is plugged in, but everything else in my house is Linux, and I’ve had 0 problems over the years using Reaper as a digital tape machine in Linux.

If you work primarily in hardware and just do a little multitrack/mixing ITB, Linux is more than acceptable these days for those thinking of switching. Going further, supposing you’d be happy with just what’s included in things like Renoise/Bitwig and the handful of VSTs that run natively on Linux, you’re not far away from a full fledged ITB workflow.

Yes, all things considered it’s a bit far behind where Mac/Windows are, but Linux would likely work for more people than you’d think.

Disclaimer: Linux fanboy, YMMV.

9 Likes

Yeah, having Bitwig/Reaper/Renoise really covers most potential use cases. Compatibility with interfaces of various kinds is still an issue though, you have to purchase carefully.

2 Likes

As far as I know, anything class compliant should work. If you need something more powerful than typical class compliant audio over USB, agreed, Linux may not be the right tool for you.

Yea my iMac is a late 2015 27”
It never slows down, not for anything. 32GB RAM and a 1TB ssd that is only 30% occupied.

Until yesterday afternoon. Welp, a learning experience for sure. If I ever have a newly installed application stall on verification, or the other general sluggishness again, turning off the internet connection will be the first thing to do in troubleshooting. I almost restored from a time machine backup.

4 Likes

Apple should stop this behaviour ASAP. Seriously. They even send every little action unencrypted over the network. Good job! My faith is destroyed in Apple.

2 Likes

This was a big bummer to read about. I assume every consumer device sends telemetry about everything I’m doing on it now. We can’t even disable the backdoor management engines on our processors, but you’d at least assume that companies are encrypting the data collection. That was a big mistake on their part.

2013 macbook pro with catalina and no problems yesterday

Was mainly running work programs, teams and was updating some sample libraries in ableton

Maybe this has something to do with it…

4 Likes

osname : Big Sur(veillance)

5 Likes