Big Muff Pi Hardware Plug-in pedal

I couldn’t agree more. This is smart execution (aside from the name)

The comment here makes me feel like they already have plans to do more classic pedals this way, plus just a good joke

3 Likes

Just like the Analog Heat, this is a very cool and potentially useful tool.
As with the AH, the devil is all in the implementation. Can it work nicely with a wide range of computers? is the latency acceptable? is it stable? et cetera. Too many of these things in the end only really work if you are using the most modern and generic setup possible, ie Mac and Ableton, anything else considered an edge case.

Does anyone know if there’s a demo on synths/drums out there yet?

Nope I haven’t been able to find anything but the announcement video from EHX
But I got the email today saying mine shipped, so I imagine by next week many others will get theirs and post way more stuff
If I am not blinded by excitement I will try and add some short clips here

3 Likes

Always wear protective glasses when operating shiny new audio equipment.

2 Likes

No recordings yet but my two cents review

It sounds great on drums and really busy bass or lead lines
It’s a Fuzz still so it has a lot of noise when not bypassed, so will probably not be great for less busy ambient things without further processing to remove it

I haven’t even tried the Audio interface aspects yet but I have to imagine based on the noise it will not really be super useful as an audio interface. I also just didn’t really need or want it for that purpose either.

I could see a lot of people using the shit out of this (myself included, I am a bit of a big muff fanboy) but I could also see getting the same exact results from just two fuzz pedals (obviously with more space taken up on the board)

I think the form factor is worth the price but just barely for me. Probably could get similar results from an Operation Overlord or just two mono pedals if you weren’t a fanboy and also don’t intend to use the audio interface part

But with all that said, it’s a good version of a big muff. As advertised it’s just like having two pedals in one form factor and linked controls. Holds a stereo imagine going in and comes out the same just fuzzy
I was pushing a resonate filter into it and was getting some really nice harmonics

It’s not really the same but I am also getting the Old Blood Noise Screen Violence. Once that comes in maybe I will record some a/b/c demos of the two and some clean drums.

6 Likes

Thanks!

Yeah I agree that if not using the plugin part it can be a bit overkill… but 2 mono fuzzes eill cost around the same.

I think you can use it as an audio interface with the fuzz bypassed, so the noise should not be a problem always.

1 Like