Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 24 | Bobby Brown - Don't Be Cruel

Hey, how ya’ll doin?? I’ve not been very present as of late - dealing with some real life stuff that has been a bit consuming - but I’ve been missing music and missing you all. Big thanks to @aarb420 for picking up the slack and keeping the tracks flowing :blue_heart: This one is a day late, but it’s here!

This is also a special one as it seems me and @aarb420 are celebrating our 1 year sampling extravaganza anniversary :raised_hands: :raised_hands: :raised_hands:

In addition to thanking @aarb420 I’d like to thank everyone that’s taken part and helped to form this little community, some say it’s the coolest place to hangout on the internet and that’s all down to you.

Waffle over, the sample this week is the R&B chart topper… Bobby Brown - Don’t Be Cruel.

Here’s a YouTube preview and also the high quality vinyl recording (with some extra record nonsense at the beginning you’re free to use):

:point_down: :point_down: :point_down:
Vinyl wav: https://we.tl/t-kXSIfs5AKm

THE BRIEF

YOU have been selected by the notorious Global Sound Syndicate for a top-secret operation. Not really, please, share with your friends, family and your pet hamster.

-Sample any part(s) of the track we’ve nominated
-Spend no more than 1 week turning it into music/noise
-Post your creations here for us all to enjoy

You can use as much or as little of the track as you like - add whatever other instruments/samples you like. No winners, no losers, just good times*

DEADLINE Monday, September 4th, 2023

Submit your entry no later than 11:59 PM, Monday, September 4th, or be faced with a brief moment of regret. You could also submit something after that date too, we’d still like to hear what you make!

COMPENSATION

Hearts and compliments from the community*

Enjoy yourselves and join us in the chat for existential crisis, high-fives and advice! :raised_hands:

Lots of love, @natehorn and @aarb420

* Not guaranteed

7 Likes

@'ing some recent participants: @mtts @Yabba @proskynesis @BLKrbbt @looms @surfacescan @malus_mons

1 Like

Welcome back @natehorn! Man this song meant everything to me back the day - I was a bit obsessed with Mr Whitney Houston. In fact this was the first CD I ever bought when I got a cd player in 1989. Looking forward to seeing where this takes me

2 Likes

Ha that’s great! Has a lot of nostalgia for me too, even though I was quite young when it was released I feel like it must have been played at a fair few of my school discos…

2 Likes

@natehorn NO WAY

AIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITE :muscle: WE DID IT, BRUV! :partying_face: BIGTHANK YOU TO @EVERYONE WHO SUPPORTED US AND MADE ALL OF THOSE DELICIOUS FLAVORS FOR US ALL TO LEARN FROM AND ENJOY!

I’ve had/keep having a lot of fun learning from everyone on this forum and for getting beats that I actually wanted vs. some commercial product, and may that feeling always be mutual to everyone involved :beers:

Also @natehorn, obligatory

The sample looks fun man, and I’m already excited because I know something funky is going to happen!

:rofl:

@malus_mons man that was the only thing on the news back then! :older_man: It sucks that that was Womack’s “claim to fame” in the public’s eyes when he was a giant in his own right (he’s got a huge funk filled catalog, along with Bill Cosby btw, and I feel like he got character assassinated), even if what you said is a joke lmao I took it how it was meant :beers:

That story was an early childhood trauma man and I can’t tell you how many times I had to rewatch “The Bodyguard” on VHS rented from the library.

@anymen trying to find a mate, watch that movie and be Kevin Costner for your partner. Might be outdated now though idk or even more in demand with fresh people trying to learn the 90s, so odds may vary :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yeah at least here in the US Bobby Brown was on top of the music industry for a few years, and then was gone, only to be tabloid fodder a decade later. He’s not a good guy. Not sure why you mentioned Bobby Womack? Not the best guy either.

But this is the video that had everyone’s attention; the swagger and confidence combined with really fluid dancing (a counter point to MJs robotic precise moves). Bobby Brown was the shit!

3 Likes

@malus_mons Oh man think I went with one too many adult soda pops last night. Sorry for the confusion. This is the “problem” with sampling, one learns too many names and it becomes difficult to recall :older_man:

Also, don’t remember where I was going with that last night and was more excited to share a past experience that was buried deep. I used to love when this song got played on the radio, and still do because it’s such a happy/hard jam! Raps are criminal though, especially midway where he just says “My name is Brown,” mid bar and drops that extended moan to cap it off :rofl: That Mr. Whitney comment gave me a solid chuckle last night :beers:

@natehorn man this jam is :fire: getting some funky grooves this morning!

The producer credits on “Don’t Be Cruel” are pretty large with both Babyface and L.A. Reid :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Here’s a CD/FLAC version for y’all:

BOBBY BROWN - DON’T BE CRUEL FLAC

file will be active for one week :beers:

1 Like

What’s a CD? Is that like a minidisc?

1 Like

I need to screenshot this and send it to my nephew!

2 Likes

You kids with your Laser Reels and Compact Tapes

Funny-Old-Man

4 Likes

Happy one year anniversary :tada:

I found this one a tricky one, in terms of getting a clean sound.
but here’s my effort using Robert Brown’s famous hymn, Do Not Be Cruel.

I used outside drum hits and a bass tone chromatically.

5 Likes

:pray:

Great vibe :ok_hand: :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Damn its been too long since we got a @Yabba beat, this is tasty af. Great job!

@aarb420 & @natehorn… congrats and I always wondered why you guys have all this great RnB from such a specific time period. Its also my one year anniversary on this forum and you two keep tripping me out with these song choices. its seriosly uncanny!

4 Likes

It’s really an anniversary for the formation of this cool group altogether :beers:

Thank you guys for your friendship, continuous support, and for spending your hard efforts with @natehorn and I to make a sweet hangout spot happen :beers: I’ve been having a blast learning and sharing with you guys and I hope we’re all able to continue onward like Wu! :muscle:

@Yabba killing it with this format man HUGE beat lezgo! :fire:

3 Likes

Happy Anniversary!
To celebrate I finally made an account :partying_face:
Been lurking around these parts for around that long, got a DT almost 2 years ago now.
Got something in the works for this one, still gonna work on it a bit but what should I know about posting it when its ready? Just attach it here? What do yall do

3 Likes

Hey @NVVI welcome aboard!! :raised_hands:

Can’t wait to hear your jam! Whatever method works best for you. You can upload a wav here directly (although I think you need to pass a couple of very minor milestones on the forum before you can upload files) it needs to be under 11mb. Or if you wanted to upload it to soundcloud, youtube, bandcamp or whatever then you can post that link here too and it will be embedded!

2 Likes

Mix is wonky but the vibe is there https://youtu.be/qm_rtr9p6rw?si=rcoO6YKQVf28KOwF

4 Likes

Hey guys I got a little carried away late last week, and decided to paint the whole interior of our house, while my family was away, as that’s the only time I can actually perform those maneuvers, unfortunately. But, I will be joining very soon and have a dope AZ remix in the works! See you guys soon! :muscle:

Also, welcome @NVVI and great track, that’s a hard beat! The vibe is definitely there and spanks harder after the slowed down vocals in the middle :beers:

2 Likes

Aiite guys/gals I had fun with this and I hope you all do too :beers: Thanks again to @natehorn for providing a juicy sample for us to get naughty with :muscle:

sorry for the late submission :baby:

5 Likes