Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 19 | Total Contrast - Sunshine (Instrumental)

I may actually riff off this challange a bit… I just got Komplete Standard, and It has soooo many sounds.

I want to take a break from sampling a bit, and in the upcoming challanges, I might make a song, and instead of sampling, I might recreate the elements, and make a song that way. Almost like a cover.

Its actually in line with the concept, If you cannot get master clearance on a sample, you can recreate the sample with studio musicians and just pay for mechanical clearance.

i dont know, dont hold me to anything… just spitballing

5 Likes

That’s what I did with the Alexander O’Neil one.

It was really fun.

2 Likes

Im thinking that once you get a part down, you can riff off the element and make a song that goes in a whole new direction.

I would go back and try it with this track, but Im such an amatuer. I only make a single pass on music, and if i don’t make the shot, I just move on.

1 Like

That’s a fun approach - we could add that as a caveat for future rounds! Might give that a go next time myself :muscle:

It’s a shame I’ve been so busy this week and only ended up with the one sketch, there is so much material in this sample I could have easily done a dozen :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

You cheeky blighters have convinced me to do a wonky hip hop something or other with this as well.

Probably finish it off tomorrow.

2 Likes

Thanks for the invite to this. Here is what I put together. Alot of fun. Jammed it out on my Digitakt. Went with the sunshine theme - couldn’t help but weave in one other famous track. :heart::sunny::musical_keyboard:

8 Likes

Really like where that third one is going. Especially when those guitar licks come in. tasty - picks up that tempo niiice

3 Likes

So cool to see you jam it out on the video - it is crazy fast! But that kinda gong drone in the back gives it a nice long measure. cool

2 Likes

Welcome @surfacescan and a great first drop :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Beautiful track. Was expecting Sade to come through… I think the sax sounds great.

2 Likes

Thanks @natehorn for the gem of a song, lush vibes and fun mission. Looking forward to the next one. May post my version without the Roy Ayer’s vocals…

2 Likes

Alright, didn’t have as much time as I thought I did, so I’m just posting my quasi finished attempt.
Used Drum Computer for the drums.
Korg OpSix for the synth line.
Various filters, reverbs, and stuff.
Thank you @natehorn for another banger of a track!

Jdaddy · Sunshine
7 Likes

Variation

7 Likes

Yo guys got one for you guys late! Happy Fathers Day to all the poppas from here :beers:

MAJOR EDIT*

@everyone here yo you guys are all standup people thanks for hanging out with us making gems and sharing cool mfs :beers:

8 Likes

I think this has got to be my favourite collection of tracks that has come out of these challenges. Perfect time of year for them too :sunrise: Said it before but awesome sample choice Nate :ok_hand::ok_hand:

5 Likes

feeling some hybrid afrobeat/hip hop vibes.

8 Likes

Was such a fun track I had to have another go this time with some wonky drunk hip hop including a bit of our old friend MF Doom.

Edit, updated and fixed.

7 Likes

Hmm listening back this morning I’m not quite happy with this yet so I’ll give it a tweak this evening.

Fixed the track above adding some more backing vocals and improving some levels.

7 Likes

Tight!!

Is that some custom artwork too btw?? It’s troubling but very cool :grin:

1 Like