Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 18 | Heatwave - Therm Warfare

@natehorn I actually finally tried Stemroller yesterday before starting a beat, but it ended up crashing my computer, so big thanks for the files!

Such a neat tool though for how quickly it can retrieve yt videos!

1 Like

Thatā€™s exactly what happens if I try to do a whole track, I have to keep to very short sections to get it to do it

1 Like

Right on thanks for that tip, and Iā€™ll try it out again with cuts :muscle: Are you chopping the song into 1/3-1/4 sections before uploading them into Stemroller, or are you mainly going for parts you think youā€™d want to work with (ie short clips)? I was proud of myself for not having a blue screen in a very long time, but alas the counter has been reset :triumph:

Yeah short clips, when I normally sample I throw a whole track into Audition and take random pieces, some three or four bars sections, some stabs, a vocal bit I might like etc.
But if Iā€™m splitting stems Iā€™ll just convert a few bars of a section I might like and stick to using just that once split.
Still takes a long time to convert though

1 Like

9 Likes

Nice!
That sounds like a genuine classic dub.
I like that a lot

2 Likes

Thank you
maybe I should have tried the stems too, Iā€™m not familiar with working that way but Iā€™m sure I could have had a cleaner bass and I kind of fought my way around getting the vocal bits and snips but I think it worked ok for the style.

But I had already made it yesterday .
Just had to get it together

Drums mostly cut from some of the ones posted in the HH library and and a couple one shot and snr roll added since I couldnā€™t get much clean hits from the track

2 Likes

This is dark and I love it

2 Likes

Irie!

2 Likes

@yabba your beat is flavorful man, and shouldnā€™t be second guessed :muscle: You have those phat bass grooves on lock man, and the track is dreamy/spacey. I was imagining a 90s Nas verse over this beat (like one of his deep thought verses).

@1-2 man props on even drawing out that outcome in your head and on sound. I seriously donā€™t get how youā€™re accomplishing that solely on an MPC man, and youā€™re performing magic tricks to me. Also, youā€™re not alone about finding the clean hits from the track. Tried my best to out-funk the Santana submission, which, looking back now, wish I would have sooner found another song by Heatwave called ā€œSend Out for Sunshineā€ for that challenge, as a potentially better send off. Que Sera, Sera, and it wasnā€™t my intent to cause trouble during sampling. Used to stay far away from popular bandā€™s tracks because of how well they made their songs un-sampleable, but sometimes the universe allows fun things to happen, as we already witnessed through both of your and @Yabbaā€™s beats! :beers:

2 Likes

Damn, I wonder what impacts performance that much - I split the whole track in a few minutes :sweat_smile:

I think it uses your graphics card by default, have you tried changing to the other mode?

2 Likes

I think that mode uses CUDA so itā€™s reliant on your having a decent NVIDIA graphics card.

3 Likes

Yeah I have tried both ways, the non cpu method fails everytime

2 Likes

7 Likes

@natehorn, @monquixote, @Yabba thanks for the advice :beers: after following the settings adjustment to CPU only, tried a smaller file, and everything worked out! I have an AMD graphics card, which is one of my least favorite gear purchases. Used to always be Nvidia before. It makes sense though regarding the CUDA, and it not being present lol. PC decided to shut down because it couldnā€™t find an answer to the CUDA question. :open_mouth:

@BLKrbbt nice hits/stabs to make the ā€œtake it backā€ section man and the drums are on point! :muscle:

4 Likes

Nice one glad that worked :muscle:

Iā€™ve poked at a couple of ideas over the last few days but havenā€™t had a lot of music time, will try and record something today!

2 Likes

Probably not 100% happy with any of my efforts this time round but I think this is my favourite from the cutting room floor. OT, A4 and Minifreak. All drums and vocals chops from the sample track :v: Boum on the master which made the drums nice and crunchy.

6 Likes

Nice one thereā€™s a ton of energy in this ride :muscle: and awesome work on the drums man it sounds like a fresh kit!

1 Like

Still only using Drambo for these ā€œbattlesā€. I saw a post the other day about building muscle memory on the OT and while that obviously just comes with time and experience I have found Drambo the best way to build my mental muscle for using my OT, since i can use it anywhere. It really is the answer to ā€œwill there be a mk3?ā€ yeah its an ios app.

7 Likes

@malus_mons man that beat took an entirely different direction than what was presented at first, and kept going, nice one! :muscle:

If youā€™re able to get the sounds out how you want them to sound in a way that brings you joy then thereā€™s no issue, imo. OT is a wonderful example of how people tend to inflate our own understanding of gear sometimes. Itā€™s definitely a wonderful machine that has features I havenā€™t seen on others, but itā€™s not vital equipment :wink: Especially with all the people here using different combos to achieve such awesome tracks/clean mixes!

Going to join you all soon! Trying to add an acapella to this loop over here :innocent:

2 Likes