Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 15 | Alexander O'Neal - If You Were Here Tonight

Right? It might be the way he lands his phases. They all land on a F in the F minor scale, and he holds it for a full measure. (At my repitching) It’s so powerful that it’s hard to do anything with it at my skill level.

But let me make coffee and bounce down what I have so far. I don’t mind sharing unfinished.

EDIT,

Plus I made a complication, by adding tuned 808’s from the TR8S, which even further narrowed my possibilities

1 Like

@Funk_Illuminati

I appreciate the bursts of creativity, and riding the wave can be fun, just don’t let the come down be too severe, and if it gets to be too much just reach out to any one of us you feel the most comfortable with. Don’t let any fires consume you.

1 Like

Digitakt on drums again with OT handling the sample track and some other jazzy shiz - synth voices are m303 and Virt Iter Legio (SawX algo) through Beads. I did have another part prepped but completely forgot about it during recording :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Oh yeah… I see what you did… you set us up… tension… a little release… tension

then boom… release…

nice.

EDIT… it ends before a DROP!!! YOU HAD IT RIGHT THERE!!!

1 Like

I went back and forth with this… I took out the meledy I tried in the beginning, but left the second part…

But I am done working on this…

Thinking back on it… I said my intention would be to go all “In the Air Tonight” on it… and it actually goes very much like that… With just an 808 and vocals then it kinda drops into a melody.

Also… I most proud of my drum programming… this was the first time i went off the predictable 5 and 13 step gets a snare… Instead, i used the closed and open hi hats dictate the rhythm. and as long as they are consistent, the beat sounds stable… even if not on 5 and 13…also I patterned the 808 kicks on a 32 bar loop instead of just 16…

Plus I’m starting to use toms as well.

probably normal for you all, but this is real progress in terms of my development

9 Likes

Sorry to go off topic but I think this belongs here for some reason.

1 Like
4 Likes

Ah damn sorry it left you dissapointed I was quite happy with this one. Not really sure what it would drop into as the whole track is there :see_no_evil: Annoying that it left you feeling that way though - I’ve had feedback like this before and don’t really know how to make use of it… what would you do differently?

1 Like

I see these boys and I get hungry haha - been a while since I watched Fuck, That’s Delicious :sweat_smile:

@1-2 In the words of someone you’ll be familiar with

2 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face: I forgot I posted that

Not sure that I met my own qualification

Ended up recording in performance kind of and wasn’t sure how to cut it down, plus I’m not used to making this kind of music

Thanks for the odd choice this week. I didn’t really enjoy listening to it, but I sure enjoyed sampling it. Probably not the type of thing I would have sought out on my own so it was a good learn

1 Like

I did one last night, I got to about a minute thirty and didn’t know what else to do with it.

10 Likes

Actually nothing. Just take it as a testament of how good the song is where people want more.

2 Likes

ah no dont backtrack haha - i want to take your feedback on board!

:metal: :metal: :metal:

This song is so good. He’s like a mix between Luther Vandross and MJ with that fast vibrato. I can’t get this melody out of my head. Thanks @natehorn

2 Likes

Ah daaamn I really want to get on this but work has been a total bastard so far this week. Agreed it’s a great song. Every element has got something nice going on.

2 Likes

Took my computer about an hour to Stemroll about 8 bars that I chopped out of it. :joy:
Is that normal?

Damn, mine was pretty quick! I did use my PC though which is pretty powerful - you using CUDA (GPU) or your CPU? Could be worth trying whichever you didn’t use see if it’s quicker, in the settings. CUDA is default but I suspect if you don’t have a decent graphics card that might be slow.

Mine fully processed in less than realtime - bout 2 minutes I think! I can share the stems if helpful!

1 Like

Nah my laptop is old so cpu only.
I was due to buy a new one a few years ago but ended up getting a Digitakt instead which was a good decision considering the fun I get from it.
But it might be something I need to look into again cos it’s struggling.

Cheers for the offer man yeah that would be cool incase I decide to do another, I tend to snatch small parts from different parts of the tune so that’s great

2 Likes

Here you go bud should have uploaded it all earlier! https://we.tl/t-Rliq0tKgnM

I’ll include them with the track next time :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Nice one Nate :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like