Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 15 | Alexander O'Neal - If You Were Here Tonight

Thanks!

1 Like

I think next I’m going to throw that vocal stem into the 404, and just trim the header a bit, then sequence the 808 kit on the TR8S, just letting the vocals go and free styling on it.

After that, I’ll throw some synth on it from the Prophet. Maybe finish some baseline from the Grandmother Or Malevolent

On the first track, I fingerdrummed all those hits in with some light quantizing. Trying to practice making rythyms.

1 Like

Nice one - yea I’ve used an 808 kit and focussed on all the other parts with mine.

I’ve got some other ideas too so might do a second track… I’d quite like to do something super mellow with this one

1 Like

You know, that’s a good idea.

I’ve been making fast stuff for a while. Maybe go light and slow with the 808 kit.

I’ve been watching a lot of Leland Sklarr vids lately. Maybe try some “In the air tonight” style 808 programming.

I’m glad you’re getting back on that horse. It’s been quiet from you a bit lately.

2 Likes

Tried to do this only using my phone. Drambo is so cool it kinda makes me want to ditch my hardware.

7 Likes

Cheers for the @ and sample, I’ll have a go on my day off thurs.
I’ll definitely need to stemorise it if that’s the right phrase, although I did try to use stemroller and my very old laptop didn’t like it very much

1 Like

Mate whatever works! And this works :ok_hand: I sometimes have great Ableton sessions where I have the same dark thoughts

2 Likes

Melody, bass and vocals are from the track, all on OT, with Digitakt handling drums (bunch of Samples from Mars stuff). Had fun with this one!!

7 Likes

I love the 1:00 mark. Such a springy upbeat vibe.

I’m looking at the vocal stem now, and of course I’m foolishly repitching it until I can’t make a critical decision anymore.

But one thing I did notice is that if you drop it down one semitone, I feel like it’s a more natural sound.

This falls online with a common production technique to make RnB back then, where the transcribe the vocals to make them more energetic. Janet Jackson did this on Rhythm Nation.

Not sure if I’m going to go slow on the drums either.

1 Like

Im in too.
Don’t know yet if i’m able to finish it (like 99,9% of my tracks so why apologize now😂). But had fun last time. I end up curious about stemmroller and boy that’s fun! Have more inspiration then time due to this bizarre stem output right now. So many gems to dig and chop. The current track directtion is 160 bpm drum n bass like. Now i have to pursued myself not to go other directions…

2 Likes

I too will try to pay homage to this unearthed oddity. Bless.

2 Likes

I’m thinking… if this Acapella comes out good, I may flip more of them without chopping them.

The inherent song structure will be great informed practice, and I could get better at arranging if I follow the vocal without the underlying track without looking it up.

3 Likes

I liked your idea of using the vocal track as a backbone, building the structure around it - almost becomes a bit more like a remix/reimagining of the song - might try something similar myself.

1 Like

The way is strong with this one. Follow any lead. Eat the fruit. Fill the foundation and fountain. Not with gout but sacred waters. Cups overflow. Vomit the apple. Eat the spit. Spit it out. Blessed spit. Sacred script.

Also, Radio Killed The Video Scar. Head killed the Radio Spar. Alas, Video spilled the Radical Haar. Hardy Haar. Hardly Har. Harbor harvest festive tar. A Williams Burrow light thou art. How great? Ask Spock the Sparrow. He is flying to your Burroughs now. Oh Darth, do you still see me in yaer yard? With thee wandering eye and I? Do the milkshake spoileth? Do it’s waters rest.

2 Likes

Another phone jam. I guess it took getting an Octatrack to finally learn how to use Drambo. Only limitation is my fat thumbs navigating a tiny screen.

7 Likes

Thank you for showing up at the right time Malice. I really like your chalice. I envy your palace. I asked for your Alice. Bless.

3 Likes

200w (1)

I don’t know what’s happening but I like it

1 Like

Ya the chalice opens up the palace, but I’m not lost like Alice, at least I pretend to know what im doing :rabbit2:image

2 Likes

It did not.

I spent 3-4 hours making a drum track I love, but when it came down to playing in chords, I don’t know if it because I pitched it down or if it’s the key it’s in now, but I cannot for the life of me get it going. I tried playing the root note, building chords, playing in midi, adjusting the piano roll.

After another couple hours of working on the same opening 4 bars, I got sick of hearing “By my side!..…”

I tried using the Prophet 6, but I think I may need to go back to Pigments since it’s easier to scrub through a wider range of sounds.

Either way, I think I want to take a break.

Maybe I should post the drums? I really like them, and it might be good to show a Work in Progress.

2 Likes

It happens! I think that this is one of the challenges with working with sample material, you can only bend it to your will so much. If it’s not giving you want you need it can be frustrating. It’s one of the thigns I struggle with often too.

I’ve got most of a second track down I’ll try and get it up tonight - I didn’t use much of the melody though for similar reasons, I couldn’t get it to gel with the rest of the composition.

1 Like