Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 11 | Ilija Rudman - Hibiscus Theatre

Throwing in the towel… ran out of track space on OT and couldn’t figure out where to go afterwards :older_man:

5 Likes

Love the slop! That vocal one shot at the start is super cool you did well to only use it once :v:

Edit: @monquixote Almost missed this - love the vibe! Got a real cheeriness to it that isn’t present in the original

3 Likes

Sweet work everyone! I’m stuck in choice overwhelm as to where I want to take mine. So often have this problem. Make something. Get bored of it. Twist it up. Get excited again. Get bored of that one. Twist it up again. Repeat repeat. Nothing finished :tired_face:

4 Likes

To look at it another way it sounds to me like you’ve finished lots of tracks, you just can’t stop yourself from enhancing them once they’re done :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I was in that place chap.

Keep working at it and something will click.

4 Likes

I would take a break… Its choice overwhelm to ear fatigue… thats my evolution.

I wish I could go back to old tracks too, but I always just move on… But if you take a break you might be able to look at it fresh!

Thats why i love this challenge… its open ended, and also kinda bougie with the samples… I feel like Im getting an education when the sample debuts.

3 Likes

Haha thanks man! I’m on a mission to create human-like errors in the drums but it’s difficult :baby:

There’s the misstep in the formula, you need to repeat a third time for the lucky charm! :older_man: I think what you’re experiencing pairs hand in hand with the sample territory, as I find myself in similar scenarios more often than not. It’s seriously humbling to know how much you all put your time and consideration into making tracks with us! Friendly reminder, there is absolutely no pressure, and your presence here is more than what we could ask from you. However, if you made something and felt it tickle your ears, it will surely tickle ours as well! :beers:

2 Likes

I wish, haha. Stuck in jamming mode rather than getting an arrangement down and then jamming leads me off on another tangent then another etc. It is fun though. Until I drive myself a bit mad! I just get frustrated with myself when I fall into old patterns and can’t commit & don’t finish stuff. But I am going to put something up here over this week ‘finished’ or not :slight_smile:

Yeah most definitely and I’ve taken a break from it entirely today so hopefully tomorrow evening I can come back fresh. Just hoping there’s something usable there, ha. What you said earlier about having to do a track in one session - I get that. It can be hard going back to something when the initial vibe and focus is gone.

Aaah, of course! 3 is the magic number innit :blossom:

Really appreciate this little community and do really enjoy doing these despite my moaning today :grinning:

3 Likes

It’s that and also the fact that there is so much more to explore. Even if the next sesh is less fruitful. But there are two facets to this I think needs mentioning.

One is the confidence(overconfidence?) that I will always find something eventually. I don’t believe in creative bankruptcy. Just unmanageable expectations. Yes, you may not make the next fine art masterpiece, but it might be a great graffiti tag.

B, is that I believe that if something is good, it will propel you to finish it no matter what and it will be an easy journey.

Yes you may have something in the aborted sessions of value, but that will carry over subconsciously or in pieces. Or in a new form.

It’s a journey and it’s about the mileage you put in, and the destination may be shit. But you won’t know till you go.

2 Likes

Hey @everyone, thanks for stopping by, spending some time with us and sharing what you feel! Also, big shout out to @natehorn for finding that banger from the depths of the dusty crates in his region. :ok_hand:

It’s always neat to get to witness and observe all of your individual progress with every challenge, and I hope to see many familiar faces at the current ongoing hip-hop challenge hosted by @Doug
:eyes: :eyes: :eyes:

Until next time :beers: @everyone and may you all have a lovely, and inspiring week ahead.

4 Likes

Right on @aarb420 mate! I swear they get better and better :ok_hand:

Can’t wait for your next pick, and in a few weeks time we’ll be making a start on my recently aquired bucket of bangers

5 Likes

:fire:

4 Likes

Comically late seeing as the new one is up but here’s mine :sweat_smile:

Some very recognisable samples from elsewhere in this but the main melodies and bass are from the Hibiscus tune. Sort of accidently channeling Dabrye a little bit. I had a version where I resampled into the 404mk2, speed the whole thing up, chopped again and starting playing around with patterns and it was almost sounding old school electro. I’ll share if I ever progress it.

On to the next! :raised_hands:

4 Likes

NICE ONE @looms THIS IS EXOTIC! Drums are super crisp too, and you can take all the time you need if it helps pump out bangers like this :beers:

2 Likes

Haha, thanks mate! My name’s Joe so maybe it’s a Joe exotic type beat :joy:

Didn’t know if I was going to be able to do anything with the sample but it turned out to have really nice textures once stemrolled and messed with. Top choice @natehorn

2 Likes

May well be my favourite entry so far from all of our challenges.

Is what I would be saying if it weren’t so damn late! :rofl: :kissing_heart:

Seriously though!

2 Likes

Cheers mate :beers:

2 Likes

Love it

It’s filthy.

1 Like

That’s really good, definitely better late than never with that beat

1 Like

Cheers mate! Glad I persevered with it in the end. I always struggle when it comes to arrangement but a busy week meant I had a total break from it for a while which I think helped come back fresh :slight_smile:

2 Likes