Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 11 | Ilija Rudman - Hibiscus Theatre

That repeating intro leading into the Mars sample is lovely. Dope beat, the vocals/synths are crispy, and the “Oohs” really sound like Sade! :beers:

1 Like

Straight on it! This is cool!! In fact it’s given me some ideas so thanks for the inspiration :raised_hands:

IMO it’s crying out for a bridge a little past half-way, almost feels like it’s working into a drop! That would be asking a lot from you though :slight_smile:

I think those kinds of dramatic musical twists take more effort to come by when using hardware - especially when patching is involved :scream:

1 Like

This is one of my favourites of yours so far mate. Good work!

1 Like

Thank you, and everyone else for the kind words.

I knocked it out and passed out from exhaustion. Listened to it just now and I definitely hear what @natehorn means.

Plus, I repitched only one chop of the sample in a way that it’s not quite a G (not a G, but a harmonic of G… maybe the 4th or fifth. Idk). Maybe a little sharp? So the samples don’t sit 100%, so I leaned into it more as I went.

You can hear it on the track. As I go farther in, I dial the synths into it better, then I get so comfortable, I just flip the first part again.

For a bridge, I should have dropped out the main sample and let the vocal drops do the work, and then dropped back in. But, I’m onto something else now. I’m sick of the Ooo’s and Aahh’s.

It’s crazy, I can’t produce in two sessions or I lose what I’m doing. It’s has to be done in one shot. And by the time I’m done, i am SPENT. Can’t even look at it again.

And I worked on that thing for HOURS. As soon as the challenge dropped, I started listening to it actively and then got to work.

2 Likes

Maybe I’m a bit hardheaded. But alot of what I was hearing is discordant. And I’ve been leaning info off key sounds trying to work with them.

I know it’s difficult to hear, but there’s always small windows of resolution where I force everything to work. But if you break up the individual elements, they sound nothing alike. They are only the sum of their parts.

1 Like

I think that derives from an honest attempt at presenting/expressing oneself :muscle: Although we are not physically pushing our bodies’ limits, the mental focus/attention required during any original project silently uses up energy, and for my process, I find it helps to take intermittent breaks (i.e. smoke breaks, not suggesting that btw maybe instead go outside and observe nature for a moment). After a quick breath of “fresh air” and resting the ears, I can come back to a project with a better picture of if the song is going to be worthy of the time that is going to be committed cleaning/expanding, or if it was just some noise that needed to come out for the day lol. :man_shrugging: Not production advice whatsoever, and I’m sure there are more qualified/established people that could give better advice on this matter. :beers:

This scene from Caddyshack comes to mind:

3 Likes

Had a few goes with it today and landed on something I like :raised_hands:

It’s all the sample track apart from a vocal one shot I used - really enjoyed working with this track actually - I squeezed a little staccato guitar thing in the last movement out of the bassline… somehow - ended up being one of my favourite elements even though it’s quite subtle in the mix.

I think part of what made it nice to work with for me was part of what made it intimidating for you @BLKrbbt and that’s how lovely all the sounds were - although it’s hard to improve on the original it’s a really nice palette to work with.

8 Likes

Nice work on these so far.

I was going to go for a mellow vibe, but since you guys have nailed it I might have to go for a death metal gabba remix or something :rofl:

3 Likes

READY FOR THAT HEAT! Your buildups/samples are so out of this world and feels like surfing the cosmos it’s great, dope grooves! :beers:

@monquixote Sounds exotic! :eyes:

Nice… I love the filter work as always…

7 Likes

DISCO IN DA HOUSE! This beat feels like a disguised hard beat, and somehow I can hear nasty rhymes over this for a summer jam there’s a neat toughness to it :beers:

2 Likes

This one’s delicious too @BLKrbbt. Smashing it.

Ooof the sound that comes in midway through is nasty dope!

1 Like

Thanks @looms!

It’s a good sample!

This one was all from the track.

I got one more beat out of it that I want to take my time with and play in some synth parts to.

1 Like

It’s from Arturia’s MS20 filter!

2 Likes

Big props for your work ethic! I’ve got something on the go and hope to share soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I wasn’t really feeling this sample at first TBH – too dense and layered to grab many interesting sounds and I don’t like sampling produced electronic music in general. But I found a couple bits that worked ok and took it in a direction. All samples are from the track (via octatrack), everything else is syntakt.

8 Likes

WOAH NICE BEAT! Wild use of the samples and such clean breakdowns/transitions! :beers:

1 Like

Here is my “experiment”. I really try to get better, but the results are :woozy_face:

As usual, feedback are very welcome.
Thankyou.

7 Likes

I just did a quick, albeit messy one levels wise, in Digitakt.
everything is from the sample including drums.
Only outside element is a bass tone.
I did try to filter a bass tone from the song supplied at first but I couldn’t filter it to sound right.

7 Likes