Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 09 | Discoteka Telephone - AGCP/DR CUTS

this

Honestly the bar can be high, I try to get my track in early so I don’t have to follow too many bangers haha - but I think this exercise can be good as a learning activity so feel free to treat it that way - 0 expectations. Happy to give constructive feedback wherever wanted too.

In terms of sharing my process I’m happy to, I’d worry you’d have the blind leading the blind but I’m sure there’s something functional in there haha. My process does vary a lot, however - I’m a chameleon.

4 Likes

Who do you think teach the blind how not to see? People who been blind for a while. And Nate is way better than what’s he’s leading on.

Actually, @emadb, post your first attempt, so people know the context of what your trying to accomplish, and which part of the sample your using, and then work on the beat after you get some advice, and post the results.

Do that a couple times, and others who are trying to get some hints can reap the same rewards later when they read it here.

Edit.

Plus it’s better to do it here since there’s no voting. And the only deadline is when the next challenge rolls around.

5 Likes

Don’t worry fella, you’re amongst the most supportive fellow beatmakers you can find.
Just post whatever you want, you’ll only find constructive criticism or perhaps find out that there’s no criticism needed

4 Likes

Thanks for the upload of the track, I’ve got a day off on Thursday so I’m gonna try and chop the sample then

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve basically learned from nothing on here.

It’s a very cool place.

2 Likes

Hey @emadb not sure if you are familiar with our fellow 'naut @Doug, but I admire what he’s able to achieve on his machines from afar, and he has made a two-part hip-hop how-to series specifically using the DT that may be helpful to you if that is the machine/style that you’re working on in the moment. I recommend checking his yt channel out because he knows his stuff and shares a lot of insightful/helpful concepts/information!

Also agree with what everyone before me said, and that there are a lot of helpful people here that can point things out in tracks one may have easily overlooked/over-smoked while producing that will help in ways one wouldn’t think may have been possible before (speaking from experience). Hope the video helps :beers:

5 Likes

Thank you. Super useful! And thank you @Doug

2 Likes

Okay… I got the Maschine sorted. Its too basic, but i need to take a break and try a new approach, and thought it would be cool to show a rough beat to make @emadb feel more welcome.

EDIT: Ooof… nothing is sitting right in the mix… the 404 glues the track better too.

4 Likes

So, with the Maschine, you have so much more control! The encoders have more resistance and are smoother, but the wealth of options makes it more complex to get everything to get going. plus, I’m wrestling with the groups still… and i’m wasting pad space with chops Im not using… I think I need to only use Maschine for a bit and get over the hump, but my tracks are gonna suffer… I get frustrated too easily… but its the only way…

I will say though… 404 sounds better… more warmth, but that may be a Maschine benefit because it has a really neutral sound… and if I get into FX and EQing more, that will be a better option for controlling my sound.

1 Like

Ok, here my take.
I chopped some samples (initial bass loop, guitar in the middle) and I loaded them to my Digitakt. Then I extract some small pieces to create the bass, some FX and a sort of pulsing pad.

Here is the DT project, in case you are interested.

EXTRA.dtprj (1.0 MB)

Feedbacks are very very welcome. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I don’t know. It seems like you are better at it than me.

You’re fine. Just produce and post more.

Others who have more experience can give better critique, but functionally, it’s all there.

Speaking of myself, and I’m only a year in, two things I watch myself for, is over chopping. And over sampling.

Meaning, I’m trying to use longer samples when it calls for it. And also to let good elements breathe. Don’t crowd in everything all the time.

1 Like

@BLKrbbt Nice chops and funky disco groove, man! Were the drums you layered done on Maschine or 404 because that’s a lovely tight snare :beers:

@emadb Clean drum samples and groove man! :beers:

2 Likes

All on maschine via a drum synth preset.

I’m gonna double down and put the 404 away for a while. It’s time to get busy with Maschine, even if the new workflow messes me up

1 Like

This one is weird.

4 Likes

@emadb This is a great effort mate thanks for sharing! And to @BLKrbbt for sharing your rough sketches - you extracted something real quirky out of the song I’d like to see that develop more personally!

The main thing that stood out to me is that it’s begging for an acapella so I did the honours haha - well, Joey Bada$$ did… just a quicky but surprisingly effective, which says a lot for the beats :ok_hand:

Haha yea it is! :raised_hands:

7 Likes

I appreciate that.

You ever read up on samurai’s? Their sword style is different that that of a fencer.

A fencer will weave and attack defenses until the perfect opportunity presents itself for a win.

A samurai will attack with one strike, looking past the opponent, not to cut into, but rather past an obstacle. A win is actually a byproduct of a good strike.

That’s how I am at production as of right now. I make one or maybe two concerted efforts, but with samples and even a dialed in sound on a synth, I get fatigued/frustrated after a couple attempts.

If something really good (in my opinion) comes out of it, it’s a win. But a byproduct of my limited experience.

2 Likes

@natehorn ooohhh! That’s incredible, you are a real boss! :clap: :clap:
Thank you, I will store the track in my favorites folder forever :smiley:

2 Likes

Man that was an unexpected side quest :beers:

1 Like

This tells the story of how I tried to turn this into some Daft Punk French House (The start) and then mutates into my getting bored of that and messing around with a vocoder and a granuliser and completely messing everything up.

I then recreated the bassline to Robot Rock in tribute to my initial idea.

Everything is from the sample except the drum machine.

Not the best thing I’ve ever done, but I had fun doing it.

7 Likes

That was intense man, all pumped up from the jam! :beers: That “breakdown” thing you did before the beat drops is awesome, and the FX you used on the vocals sound like an og talkbox!