Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 02 | Brother Jack McDuff - Mystic John (1970)

great track! really enjoyed that listen and will seek it out again

1 Like

Alright, sorry for stretching it out was too caught up in riding waves! :surfing_man:
I literally tried to time my submission to the final moment, only to realize that the file size was too large :baby:

This doesn’t count according to the rules.

Just adding that all the samples are from the track minus the drums and the lovely Sade.

3 Likes

i just wanted to quote that…

1 Like

I think we can let it slide :slight_smile:

A lot of depth here mate, really interesting choices!! That drum beat is sick and I can see why you spent so long nursing this :v: :raised_hands:

1 Like

Nice chops @NeonMelk great little chopped up loops that kept progressing throughout the track. The repitching on here was very smooth, I wish I could get that in hardware, I don’t use timestrexh on the mpc because it sounds off, except extreme use for effect. Liking that tactic of pitching the same bits around for some harmonic motion while keeping timing

@aarb420 great stuff. Reminds me of an early 90s dance floor jam, with more grit and some nice raw sampling instead of synths. Killed on drums and had some very nice stereo going on in the mix

1 Like

Woh sorry bud I missed this - WIP my arse! This is great stuff :100:

Everyone elses tracks are inspiring me in different ways - too much talent here haha

2 Likes

@natehorn and @1-2 Thank you guys! I promise to be more timely on the next one. :sweat_smile:
That Sade sample is probably from early youtube days when people used to diy acapellas, so the quality was terrible to begin with but it was working for me at the moment. Unfortunately, taming that as best as I could took a substantial amount of minutes.

Also, thank you to: @1-2 @HAHA @emadb @natehorn @NeonMelk @Switchmode for participating this week!

You guys all had wild sample styles and it’s making me sweat trying to keep up, which is a great feeling. if you guys want to submit any of your samples for the next sample pack, please shoot them over to me whenever the opportunity allows, so we can package them up again for the Elektron fam :muscle:

I’m also going to go ahead and take the original sample link down out of respect to Brother Jack McDuff who was the OP thread starter of this session.

It’s funny that no one chose to use the obvious sample in the beginning and it’s almost as if we all avoided it on purpose haha respect :beers:

3 Likes

This is my take.
I used some drums from the Digitakt factory pack and all others sounds are from the Mystic song.
I went for a Reggae track that is completely out of my comfort zone, but I would like to experiment with something different (that piano inspired me).

Created and registered live with the Digitakt and an iPhone, no post-processing in the DAW.!

emadb - mystic

Some errors during the recording phase…but it’s live :relaxed:

4 Likes

Thank you all @HAHA @aarb420 @1-2 @natehorn !
Yes, WIP was not the better choice of words.
Rather a well cooked meal but missing spices, salt, sauce etc.

The OG track offered so many parts to exploit !
The “second phase” of work would have rearranged the main core a bit much to deliver on time…Anyway, that was cool.

3 Likes

AHH YEAH MAN! That was a hard reggae dub awesome job! :beers: Sweet stabs!

1 Like

Hey everyone! For some unbeknown reason our fresh friend @HAHA’s account has apparently been banned until 3022. This is literally his first time posting, any theories why this could have happened? :thinking:

2 Likes

Nicely done and the samples all gel really well and it ends up with an almost Havana kind fo vibe :v: Extra points for leaving the comfort zone for sure I think these challenges are good for that!

Ayy, what - @AdamJay any idea what could have happened there?

2 Likes

Was a duplicate account, which are not allowed.

3 Likes

Thank you for clearing that up guys, was a confusing morning :joy: :beers:

1 Like

come by next time we’re a friendly bunch