Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 02 | Brother Jack McDuff - Mystic John (1970)

Thanks! Sorry for missing out on the first one that was an awesome track you chose to sample. I’ve been super busy so I am usually just lurking. Everyone is posting awesome stuff! Luckily I found the time to join on this one… Well I just pulled an all nighter and posted this but it was fun!

Regarding the setup it is a fresh idea I had that did not work out as I expected, but I did manage to test out random microtiming on the hi hats which worked very well!

2 Likes

Glad to have you on board mate better late than never - and that’s some serious dedication! Yea I really like those hat rolls :ok_hand:

1 Like

Nice track, happy you joined in :grinning:
I like the dual weilding crosfaders
By random microtiming do you mean you used near shifted notes with %and not pre conditions to randomize them? I love how little variations like that can make things more alive

1 Like

AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYO! That was a hard beat man extra murderous!

Totally worth it! And welcome to the club man! :beers:

1 Like

Thanks! The dual faders are actually a lot of fun, still not sure the best way to utilize dual octas though.

Was reading your explanation seems we both trying to make these machines sound more human. I will make a video explaining exactly how I do it soon. Basically the idea is to leave dead space before your samples and use the lfo on the start time. I thought I was the first person to try this but seems someone suggested on elektronauts few years back when I was just getting into the dawless world. There are some little things to look out for I noticed I will explain those in a video and what I think is the beat way to control it.

Your tracks so far are awesome btw, I really enjoy that more natural sound and funky timings!

3 Likes

@aarb420 our HYPE MAN! Thanks, looking forward to what your going to drop!

3 Likes

Cutting it a bit fine aint he :laughing:

hurryup

1 Like

OK - found some time this morning to wrap my head around patterns, scenes and parts for this tune. All sounds taken from Mystic John, all done inside Octatrack. Bouncedown was into Logic Pro for some final mastering EQ and compression.

6 Likes

That kick is moving so much air what are doing to it?? Sounds great

Again great use of the sample I’ve been really impressed with how folks have used it knowing how challenging it was.

Really impressive!

3 Likes

EYYY AWESOME TRACK MAN! It’s neat how you got all of those sounds out of it, and great job on the composition, that sounds like a dope Ocean’s 11 type heist track!

2 Likes

ISSA COMIN’! :joy:

4 Likes

Thanks - it took a bit of messing about to dial in something that didn’t interfere with the bass. It’s mostly the OT filter with a high Q being modulated by fast EG and then going into the OT compressor. Once this was set up I messed with the start time of the sample - most of the sound is coming from the OT’s resonating filter and I found that by adjusting the sample start time I could find a point that made the sample ping the filter in a way that didn’t interfere with the bass.

3 Likes

Elektron filters always respond so well to EG - there’s magic in that resonance

2 Likes

That track progressed really well! When those horns hit felt good

1 Like

Nice trick! Good thinking
I recommended this myself to someone a little bit back-

Would love to hear any additional thoughts you have on your experience with it, and your tips on it- it’s such a great technique- and with the 3lfos on ot *6 for you, could really go wild with this, especially throwing in some real time lfo manipulation with scenes

For the dual faders have you thought about midiing them up external for some simultaneously control, used seperate and together could get wild, maybe a kaoss style xy pad for vertical/ horizontal control of each and everything in between with the touch of a finger and skipping instantly to any position since no moving parts and recording in or out of time automation loops of the motion of your finger movements. Could get crazy with this. Maybe just use the midi track of one OT to control the cf of the other with lfos and such

Probably so many great ways to utilize dual octas, I like the splitting the drums and melodics between the two way you’ve got going

2 Likes

Switch mode strikes again! Great island feel on this one, I’m into it. When the synthy line first came in it kind of sounded like a cuica. I like your drums on both tracks you have put up btw. You have interesting snare rhythms, especially lively this time, your aren’t afraid to put the snare on the one, putting some snare on some of the last ‘ands’ here felt great and rushed you right back to the one. Nice dynamic rhythm here with the snare timbres shifting in a natural way, you could feel the difference in velocity on hits and hear as as if different areas of the drum head were struck. Real nice

Also horns were jammin and bass was nice and deep

2 Likes

All submissions are very interesting in their ways of playing with the original material.
Obvious uses of it were avoided and that’s good.
Particularly impressed with @1-2 's work.

My submission is to be considered as a WIP still, as i won’t be able to work on it more to meet the deadline. Lots and lots of ingredients are missing but it can pose as a good foundation.

Nothing but Brother Jack McDuff 's track was used.
Just added a bit of reverb and Arturia’s Tape mello-fi.
All done in Ableton.

5 Likes

Nice really dig all the different parts! Don’t worry about it being a work in progress only so much can be expected with the time frame and daily life struggles. You on to something awesome make sure to finish it!

I like to think of the short deadlines as a way to practice our craft and eventually be able to drop bangers on the daily.

2 Likes

Yeah nice on figuring that out too!

Yes exactly why I chose the octatrack for this. I normally use subtle amount of random microtiming and random volume then have one more lfo for modulations.

I did not think of doing any of this yet. Definitely going to try it out. This was my first time actually testing this setup out most of my time was spent setting things up rather than producing. I need to make some changes to how I approach this setup, thanks for the suggestions!

1 Like

AHHHHHHHH WHAT THAT WAS A HOT BEAT! That felt like something doom would rap over! Heard some samples to sample in your track :eyes:

DENIED.

2 Likes